Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Lump of Coal

To welcome Black Phoenix Trading Post into the fold, we are celebrating by turning BPTP’s notorious 2005 Naughty or Nice Inquisition imp into a proper perfume.  Ok, fine. It isn’t really a lump of coal, but brownies and coal are vaguely similar in color! This is the truly sinful scent of a sticky, thick, dark and rich fudge brownie.

I think I got to try a drop of the original Lump of Coal, and loved it so I was happy to see this back. So, the 2019 version: In the bottle, yep, brownies!! On my skin it still sort of smells like brownies, but there is something else coming out... I can't tell what is it, but it is... odd. I wish I could describe it more. Like my brownie fell in the dirt. It isn't overpowering, but it's there. Maybe with age it will get better. Not a lot of throw for me and it stays close to the skin.

Edit to add that odd scent doesn't seem to be there anymore... maybe I had something else near me that smelled weird, but it is all good, yummy brownies!!! :) WHEW!

Edited by Numanoid

Those who have ever searched out BPAL chocolate recommendations will surely have come across mentions of Lump of Coal in mystical, breathy tones of wonder. It truly was a unicorn, impossible to find in decant form, surely worth more than its weight in gold because of it.

I was stunned to see it in the Yule lineup. And it is exactly what is says on the tin. Fudgey, rich brownies, with as much chocolate stuffed in there as your heart could desire. The throw was strong and long-lasting, only dying down after a couple of hours of wear. I am perhaps past the stage where I need to cover myself in unabashed chocolate, but I may need a decant of this for those days where I just want to stuff my face and could appease my cravings by sniffing my arm ;) 

A brownie.  A rich, gooey brownie.   I’m happy, because I feel like most of the lab’s coco scents tend to smell the same (even my beloved Gelt.)  This is a much more edible chocolate scent.  Wearing it doesn’t make me feel like a sophisticate, it makes me feel like a little kid, and I mean that in a good way.

In the bottle~A rich chocolate with warmth....something is baking in the oven!

On the skin~Dark gooey very warm chocolate brownies. OMG this smells amazing!  

Dry down~Lasting quite well on me and my husband can smell it when walking by the den.  He thought I sprayed something chocolate scented! It has softened a bit over the past few hours into rich brownie crumbs. The perfect perfume to wear while reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  😁

It is snowing out, with intermittent ice.  I am getting ready for some gaming, organizing my books, window lights going on....  I smell yummy!

Rich, gooey, delicious brownie batter. Take a brownie pan, smash yourself with it, call it a day. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: Good lord. This smells like rich, delicious chocolate cake batter and I want to eat it. (Or, y'know, brownie batter. The point is, rich and chocolate-y!) 

Dry: Less fudge-y than the wet stage, but still a yummy chocolate scent. 

A better chocolate scent than Bliss or Gelt, IMO. I'm not sure if this tops The Other Hot Chocolate for me personally(which isn't as rich as this scent, but it has something in it that reminds me of marshmallows or vanilla), but this is still great! Worth trying out if you're into any of the previously mentioned scents. Or.. just want to smell delicious. ;) 

Lump of Coal smells delicious! It starts off exactly like the description, rich, fudgy, gooey brownies. OM NOM NOM. However, it becomes less-brownie like and more like a creamy cocoa scent over time.

I have too many chocolate scents in my collection, but I'll be hanging on to my partial. Of the four scents I tried on my arm yesterday, this one was the winner. :cthulhu: 

Occasionally, this one will smell slightly vegetal in the bottle, but it always goes on smelling like fudgy brownies! I get Betty Crocker Brownie Mix, middle-piece-or-bust childhood flashbacks. The longevity is quite impressive, too (about 20 hours the last time I wore it)!