Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

I Hear You Call, Pine Tree

I think the lotus root/pine ratio is about 30/70.  And this lotus root doesn't smell like lotus as I know it from gc lotus scents.  It also doesn't smell rooty to me, it's more like an airy floral note.  Every time I tried this, I thought it smelled like a Luper scent.  But the pine needles are pretty strong here, so there's that.  It isn't quite working for me but I'm going to set it aside and try again.  Maybe on a breezy spring morning?

Edited by forspecial_plate

A Shunga pine? Perhaps! This is simple and elegant, with a sophisticated bright pine that indeed smells like the needles themselves rather than resiny or pine forest, and a lotus that was giving off some good root notes to me, like freshly peeled ginger (without the gingery pep, you know?). The combination was a little fizzy, a scent-color like lime green. While this wasn't a blend that necessarily rang my bell, I could see it being an excellent, office-appropriate Yule scent for the right wearer.

Usually, pine is my friend. In December, I made a body gloss using a pine essential oil that came out smelling a bit like ammonia on my skin. It reminded me of when reviewers say that a pine smells like cat pee on them. That pine wasn't a good match.

Unfortunately, this is that sort of pine for me. 

I never pick up any lotus from this one; it's all the pine.

Shunga pine? I swear that is what it makes me think of. The pine is most noticeable on wet, but as it dries, the lotus starts to come out. It dries to a watery lotus root with a touch of pine. Great throw and wear length.

Maybe I'm having an off day, or I need to let my decants rest more than 24 hours from the mail, but I Hear You Call, Pine Tree was not terribly audible on me.  First there was lotus, then there was a breath of pine needles, really creating the sensation of them floating to me on the wind.  Gradually they faded, and within two hours there was silence.  No lotus, no pine.  I will try again in a couple of weeks.  This has real beauty to it if it weren't so faint on me.  

A mix of lotus root and pine. The scent is dominated by the sweet, floral, rooty smell I associate with lotus root, but there is enough pine to pick it out. I'm more of a pine lover, so this isn't for me, but it's certainly pretty in a pine/floral/root way.

Oh man, this pine is one of the cat pee pine notes. 

Wet, this was super bitter and pungent, with a hint of ammonia. The lotus is earthy and rooty and not sweet at all. I was taken aback by how bitter this was, like a very concentrated cocktail bitters.

Dry: After about an hour, the angry piss pine really calms down into a more gentle pine note and the scent sweetens up a little, and slowly it starts to smell of Cthulhu/ Irish spring.

The dry down version is not bad, but yeesh that wet stage.

Edited by Biocarbons