Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Fig & Cranberry Sufganiyot

Wet: This smells like sweet cranberry jam stuffed into some warm pastry. The fig isn't standing out, but if anything I figure it's grounding the cranberry(which is a totally under-utilized perfume note, IMO.)

Dry: If you're tried previous sufganiyot scents and they've been too sweet, you may like this one. The cranberry is more tart than it is sweet, and while I still smell that baked-goods scent, it's not very sweet itself either. It's like the scent of a jelly donut, BEFORE it gets dusted with powdered sugar. (The scent is still sweet, make no mistake, but it's not AS sweet as the previous sufganiyots.) I still can't pick out the fig, but honestly I'm so happy about the cranberry that I'm not missing it.

I think my new sufganiyot ranking (which no one but me cares about, let's be honest self) is: Blueberry, Strawberry, Fig & Cranberry, Raspberry, Blackcurrant. 

Closest to strawberry suff that I have tried because it is tangy like the strawberry suff I own. It’s a fun scent and I like the way BPal reinvents it every year. Someone at lunacy wanted me to smell the wand cap and when I leaned in they accidentally dotted my philtrum so my own damn nose smelled freaking fabulous pastry all night. Not plastic, it’s a good fruit vibe and the suff is the stuff you have come to love. ❤️

Cranberry JAM tucked into gooey fried dough, it is so Christmasy jelly donut to me! I too couldn't isolate fig amidst the fruit reduction, but the cranberries are both bright and sweet, and more fragrant than usual - is that the fig? There is a drop of lime that begins to emerge after some wear, which combines with cranberry to make this an ever-so-slightly more tart suf than some. Make no mistake though, it is PLENTY sweet, and plenty indulgent with all the pastry notes crowding around the fruit.

Partner's blind impression of this on me? Strawberry laffy taffy. That candied fruit note really does come through. Of all the fruit flavors, cranberry probably is my favorite of them so far, but I am rather hoping the fig peeks its head out more as this ages, because I adore fig and it would make such a beautiful (and ultimate Christmasy) sufganiyot.

Jammy cranberry in soft, oven-warmed pastry. This smells like the timer isn't quite up on the bake -- you've peeked in the oven too early and found the sufganiyot starting to brown at the edges, still partly dough.

The jam itself is pretty intense here: pleasantly tart, and maybe a tad citrus-sour, but red and drippy and syrupy with dissolved sugar.

My favorite since the OG sufganiyot! Not too sweet, but still very jammy and decadent. The pastry note is really great in this one too; I feel like it’s been a bit overwhelmed by the fruits in some of the previous years. There’s no mistaking it in this one!

I, like the others, can't quite pick out the individual fig note, but it definitely lends a sweetness to the cranberry that makes it somewhat reminiscent of a tart strawberry. If you missed out on Strawberry Sufganiyot, imo this is the scent that comes closest to the original in terms of balance between sweet and tart, and jam and pastry. 

Darn skin chemistry! On me, I can hardly pick out anything but the tartness of the cranberry, and it doesn't even smell cranberry-specific, since I don't get the berry's tannic edge. It's more like the pixie stix intensity of some of the candy Yules we've had in the past. There's a tiny bit of dough and gritty fig if I press my nose to my wrist. Will have to pass this on to a more compatible home.

In the decant: Fig and buttery pastry and cranberry. 

On my skin:

First, the cranberry leaps out at me. As it dries, the cranberry dials back a lot, and the pastry comes out more, along with the fig note. At this point, the "fig and pastry" are much more coherent a blend, with the cranberry sort of vacillating separately from that. The more the scent develops, however, the more the cranberry fades and the fig comes forward. About an hour application, it's very figgy, with an undercurrent of pastry, and just the barest pinch of tartness from the cranberry. 

I'm a little sad that I get so little cranberry from this. It's a very nice fruity baked good scent, but my skin chemistry apparently eats one of the notes I was so excited for.  

I am going to retest this because my skin turned this into a big fail. Fake smelling cranberry and cloying fruit sweetness (fig?) and no bakery note at all.

Definitely will try again since everyone else is getting different stuff.

I love the pastry note I get at the outset, and the fig gives this some nice nuttiness, but my skin really amps the cranberry! It smells like real cranberry juice once it dries down, which isn't a bad thing, but it's probably not something I'd reach for other than on holiday occasions. My skin strongly amps currant as well, so maybe there's a similar component in there. 

This opens with a wonderfully tangy but still reasonably sweet cranberry sauce vibe along with a good solid hit of pastry. "Ooh" I thought to myself, "so THIS is why people raved about sufs of the past!" Unfortunately the pastry does end up going plasticky after about half an hour. Fig stays totally MIA. Ultimately not a winner for me, but I want this cranberry note in more blends!! Keeping the decant for now anyway, it could end up a good scent locket option.