Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Brown Butter Bourbon Cookie

All the vanilla cookie you've ever wanted with extra caramel butterscotch. Sweet, buttery, cookie. Great throw and wear length.

I bottle sniffed and passed up at first because on bottle sniff it’s a super sticky sweet butterscotch. Like, warm melted ones that sat too close to the stove in their nestle bag of chips. Waxy, sweet, buttery, OMG my teeth hurt.  But, Starbrow was smiling happily and I asked her why and she thrust this into my face from a skin test on her arm. Then I decided to skin test because on her, Out of bottle,  it smelled like butterscotch BLONDIE. I agree that this is a cookie note, and I do not know what it is that makes it smell cookie, because I didn’t get gluten or flour or baked good smell. It’s like salt? Something in cookie mixes and brownies that takes the edge off the sweetness that when wet you don’t pick up (why we lick spoons, hello, all sugar) but when baked transforms into a delightful dessert where sweet is balanced by something. That something is here. Definitely ambiance of cookies or brownies (blondies) and so good. Also, no perfume note at all. Just gourmand. ALL GOURMAND. and a bit of salt. :) 

Swoon swoon swoon. A foodie's dream. Browning butter in a pan, low and slow, gives off a sweet caramelized aroma without it being literal caramel. From the first whiff, I was enveloped in that fragrant, nutty browned butter, which only got better once it was on the skin. It's a powerful foodie with an exquisite balance of sweetness, spices, richness (SO rich), and the smell of baking cookies in the air.

There is a hint, no more than a hint, of the bourbon used for cooking, with most of the alcohol burned off and the honeyed flavor left behind, so it's not a very boozy blend. I don't get a huge hit of butterscotch either - for that, you should turn to Butterscotch Latte! - but with the milk solids reduced down in the browned butter, there IS a nice saltiness, like salted caramel but better. I keep huffing my wrist, trying to tell what spices are in here, but it's a mystery. Nutmeg? A little cinnamon? Something like allspice too. Distinctly different than a pumpkin spice blend, very appropriate for Yuletide.

Sometimes foodies can all smell really similar - sweet, baked goods, chocolate or vanilla or rum-based - but Brown Butter Bourbon Cookie stands out in all the right ways. I love that it's strong too, so even if I don't slather all over, I'm lingering in a cloud of deliciousness for hours. Highly recommended for the gourmand-lovers!

This one benefited from a good rest. It was all butterscotch and a hint of browned butter when I got it. I’m getting more of the cookie now, yay! 

Edited by Snuffleupagus

I got a tiny sniffie tester, & agree with everything above. Butterscotch cookie deliciousness. I like it, but don't need a bottle.  

Mmmn. This is foodie heaven and I'm almost a little sad I didn't spring for a bottle. I get the bourbon vanilla and the richness of the browned butter with brown sugar, very much like what I smell/taste when I make up a batch of cookie dough and eat it raw. 

Unlike Eat Me, this doesn't at all make me think of B&BW vanilla and brown sugar. So not sure what it is about those that puts me off so much.

If you like sweet and rich, this is for you.