Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

A World of One Color

This is really lovely, and really matches its haiku.  On me I am getting some kind of tonka husk, a lot of cedar, and a sort of odd cool not-foodie berry note...frozen berries?  Unsweetened berry granita?  Stays close to the skin, but lasts a long time; I was getting pops of the tonka note and berries all day against a background of faint cedar.  REALLY nice.  You really do feel like you're in a dry, warm temple made of precious woods while its snowing outside and you're watching the light on frozen tree berries.

This was grunge joy. The softest cedar (cedar can be soft???) with this smutty ambergis, skin musk and the coconut husk just bonding everything together to make it cozy. WTF? I need. Some sort of smokey sexy stuff.  There was only one bottle at lunacy and I missed out. :( 

In the bottle I get super soft cedar and ambergris, with a bright note that smells sort of citrusy. Once on the skin I wonder if it is part of the ice musk. This is unlike any ambergris scent I have. There's a warm homey feel from the ambergris, cedar, and coconut, but the frost and ice musk are so chilling over the top! A super accurate cold wind, not minty or citrusy but purely cold. So unique and atmospheric, but very wearable 

World is a delicate fragrance, like the sight of a frost fairy out of the corner of your eye; she may vanish rather than suffer your direct look.

This smells like pale fractal lace of ice patterns forming on a window --

"The Frost performs its secret ministry,
Unhelped by any wind."

Cool bluish frost, salt ambergris, warm cedar, and musk. Faint whiffs of black tea and husk add an antique feel.

The coconut itself comes out more on me after drydown. By then I don't notice the tea anymore, but the rest is still in play.

In the bottle I get the soft cedar and ambergris, as well as that bright, chilly, almost fruity note that I associate with BPAL's snow scents. The snow note amps up a ton after application, but it eventually settles down. After drydown, I mainly get a soft blend of cedar, ambergris, and coconut husk, with just a hint of the snow note -- a unique but atmospheric combination of warm and cool notes. This one's very light and subtle, with very low throw after drydown. Definitely evocative of its haiku.

A World of One Color is one of those scents where we have cold juxtaposed with warmth. I get bright snow (which I am thinking must be the frost and/or ice musk -- I am thinking it may be the kind from Skadi 2013?) warmed by a nice variety of cedar. It remains that way on me throughout wear, but the tea and musk become more noticeable over time. Oddly enough, I did not get any of the coconut on my skin, but that's fine with me.

I am not sure that it's 'me,' but this one is better than the notes led me to believe it would be. :) 

I was slightly curious about A World of One Color, but probably wouldn’t have tried if it hadn’t been frimped to me. 

The same snow note as in Mountain Temple, cold and almost fruity, twined around dry cedar is the primary force. As it dries, I can detect a hint of coconut, mostly because I searched for it. The musk peeks out a bit, too, and the cedar and snow calm their shouting match to merge into a cozy cloud. The tea is definitely more present, though it’s a note that rarely jumps out to me, more of a background thrum. I can see how the name fits the scent at this point. Hazy & comforting, everything swirls together. 

I’m enjoying the experience. I do love cedar, and I think that’s the note that really elevates it for me. 

Cool slush snow, coconut, with a base of cedar and a whiff of musk. This smells like a chilly coconut-cedar blend. Tasty. Gender neutral. Good throw and wear length.

This is the green, carrot seed snow note.  I amp carrot seed and it ruins every scent it's in for me.  This is the chilly, evergreen carrot seed snow note with a little cedar and musk. 

The snow note smells sweet and almost champagney to me, the same as in Faunalia...and to me it doesn't smell like snow at all in the least, and doesn't evoke coldness or anything in the description. No frost, no ice. It's very pleasant as a warm and cozy scent, with cashmere-like soft cedar and coconut, but it evokes pretty much the exact opposite of the haiku. 

And I was hoping for something like the haiku! But I do reach for this fairly often and enjoy wearing it, so I can't call it a disappointment. It's lovely to catch it wafting from a scarf and perfect for the season.

Starts off as a cool, musky cedar with a smear of coconut. Eventually morphs into a grim expanse of ambergris and stays as so until it fades. No harsh frost, just a sense of desolation. I didn't get any of the coziness some of the other reviewers had.

Edited by mei