Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Twelve years ago, we created our first Lace scent for Dark Delicacies, Black Lace. This is a homage to that first scent - sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton, stained by tobacco and incense, Indian musk, and drops of cognac - sharpened with the incense of a hundred Hammer films, a handful of soil from Dracula’s homeland, a creep of crypt moss, and a dash of mummy bitumen.

I know it's bad right out of the mail but figured there'd be interest in first impressions. Dark is old house wood dark rich tobacco and mildew with some dirt but powdery a bit boozy- very complex. I love the complexity it seems like even a whisper of leather in the dry down. I don't get any of the vanilla cream but I have to say the dry down is gorgeous in that complexity. Another beautiful lace which I will be reaching for.

I have not smelled the original Black Lace, but I have a tester of Black Lace Resurrected, so I'm comparing this to that.  They are pretty similar, though BLR seems more pungent, while Dark Lace seems a bit softer and less in your face.  Perhaps DL will strengthen with age, but I actually like things toned down a bit.  They both have almost an aquatic vibe on my skin which I suspect may come from the linen note mixing with the cognac.  I haven't had that issue with other laces, but in these two, it's present.  It's not soapy aquatic, more men's cologne.  DL does have a dusty earth smell that presents itself when I first put it on, and in that respect, reminds me a bit of Lycan Lace.  I get plenty of vanilla lace note up front, and this reminds me quite a bit of Antique Lace (2017v), just with the cologne vibe and dusty earth adding complexity.  I like it, but I want to see how it settles and ages.  Right now it's nice, but I have other lace scents I like much better.  But then, Black Lace Res. didn't knock my socks off either.  If you loved that, you'll probably love this too.

ETA:  As an aside, that "mummy bitumen" note makes me totes want a Mummy Lace, to go with the Vampires, Lycans, and Witches.  ;)  But then, maybe that's covered by Mummies of Mexico City.  Either way, I always look forward to new laces.  :D 

Edited by VetchVesper

I get Black Lace's cognac vanilla tobacco and linen notes with grave dirt and black loam added. Kinda reminds me of Penny Dreadful without the red feel...more just...dark. The hammer horror incense starts out giving this a Grand Guignol Thanatos vibe but folds into the tobacco within 5 minutes. 

On me, its a slightly more cakey bakery Black Lace with a touch of moss and dirt. Uhhh rename it Christmas Cookies in a Graveyard? I dunno.

I do agree its mellower in throw than Black Lace. Overall, its warm resinous sweet and incensey. Like a goth holiday party. Yea. I'll stick with that.

Black Lace, and amp up the booze and the darkness. I definitely get cakey vanilla, a ton of cognac and tobacco, and underneath whiffs of loamy earth. Dark, gothy, and if you missed the original incarnation of Black Lace, fear no more. Sure, its a little darker this time around, but its like the new Netflix Sabrina. The 90s version was very cute and great, but there's something about this Netflix version that is so much more hardcore. Medium throw and wear length.

This is definitely strongly related to Black Lace. First whiff I actually thought it was BL. Buuuut there. Is a dirt note under there, subtle, and I thought it would turn me off but naw, it is good. And a touch more cognac, not really that much more “boozey” smelling to me, nust the note is stronger. Otherwise, it is a pretty similar scent. I enjoy BL so I might keep this around too.

A beautiful dark boozy incense with lots if chewy sweet tobacco on my skin. The vanilla is a haze all around it. I get just a bit of dirt underneath. 

Oh wow this is lovely. The vegetal and incense notes blended with the cleaner lace, and creamy cognac/vanilla/tobacco notes give it a haunted house vibe while still being perfectly wearable as a perfume/cologne. While the 2 original Black Laces went a bit dryer sheet on drydown, I found Dark Lace to be more reminiscent of Lycan Lace: dark, vampiric, and sexy, what you would wear to a King Diamond show, then snuggle up and watch Christopher Lee and Vincent Price flicks after. I would say Lycan Lace is a bit more powdery, desiccated rose lace with dirt notes (totally Lestat fixing his lacy cuffs as another review mentioned), Dark Lace is for sure well, darker, yet clean. God damn this is sexy. I love how unabashedly romantic Lycan Lace warms up on the skin, and how sophisticated and nostalgic Dark Lace is.

Fans of Black Lace, Lycan Lace, Gothic Horror, Eve, Wulric The Wolfman, Midnight on The Midway, and/or The Antikythera Mechanism might enjoy this. 

An open grave, drenched with two lovers’ perfumes, tattered white silk remains. They were buried here together after the accident, and now they have escaped their earthly prison. The remnants of a diabolical ritual still smolder behind the solemn headstones. 
Along with a rich whiff of tobacco, a woman’s throaty laugh rides on the wind from the nearest grove of gloomy trees. Out of sight, yet not sound, moaning and snarling commence and the cold wind howls in accompanying ecstasy. 

Dark Lace does remind me of Lycan Lace, with the tobacco and earth and incense and sugar-spun vanilla... Every time I wear it, I’m not impressed for the first half hour, then all the notes join together in a luxurious perfume-y blanket that makes me feel like attending a midnight masked ball. I think it’s improved since I first received it, and hope it continues to do so over time. 

I'm usually pretty nervous with soil notes because my skin amps that, but Dark Lace surprisingly worked well for me. The loam weaves in and out on my skin, but it's never overwhelming. Mostly, it's a gorgeous heady tobacco with wisps of cognac. A warm vanilla comes in for me around the half hour mark. The overall effect is quite elegant and sultry.

You know how sometimes you open up a decant, slap some oil on your arm, lean in for a whiff.. and almost fall off off your chair as you temporarily get swept away by the gorgeousness of what you’re smelling? That was me just now, with Dark Lace. 

I’ve never been a huge fan of Black Lace - I do like it, but I don’t lovelovelove it. But this Dark Lace is a whole different beast. The BL base is there, but the added notes take it to a whole new level. It actually smells like Dior’s Poison on me, but 100 times better, more rich and velvety. and it has some oomph! 

I’m not getting any soil, moss or bitumen in any recognisable way - just rich vanilla, tobacco and cognac, and rich musky goodness, although a more earthy base does reveal itself after about half an hour. Surprisingly beautiful. 

Dark Lace is really complex and beautiful, with lots of lovely musky tobacco at first.  I get some rich cognac as well, some sweetnes that is not identifiable to me as vanilla cotton candy, and some of the darker earthy notes creeping in.  I have no experience with Black Lace to compare with. But it is not at all long lasting on me, and all that persists is the incense.  I feel like I should probably let this go to someone whose skin chemistry lets it shine better and longer. 

Definitely agree this is the beloved, buried and then exhumed Black Lace. I've got both and I tried both at once. Black Lace is lighter, sweeter, more traditionally 'feminine.' More cognac, linen and vanilla. Dark Lace comes on deeper and less sharp, but strong in the musk, incense and vaguely mildewed soil department. And largely, I think it stays there. Dark Lace is a whole mood!