Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Whiskey & Apple

I wanted to try this since I was such a big fan of the Bourbon-Soaked Apples hairgloss. If the hairgloss is the feminine version, then the Whiskey & Apple is the masculine version. Apples in the HG are sweeter, but these apples are tarter, more green, with the whiskey leaning on some leather. This isn't boozy like how you'd expect, though. Mad Sweeney is clearly boozy, and this feels more like green apple and saddle leather?

In the imp: Apples definitely, and whiskey, yes, but there's a delicious, almost caramelized note that I think is the interplay between the two. An elegant, sexy, fruity combination. (Man, I wish that whiskey tasted like it smells! Like coffee, I can't stand the taste but I loooooove the smell.)

Wet: Much boozier and traditionally "perfumey," while still distinctly fruity. This smells like something that should come out of a cut-glass bottle on a lady's vanity.

Dry: The apple burns off after a few hours, leaving an oddly...perfumey whiskey? It almost reads as leather or smooth woods; it brings to mind the phrase "barrel-aged."

I didn't get too much of the whiskey throughout the wear time of this, though maybe I wasn't reading some of it as whiskey! On wet, this was a lovely sweet apple scent with just a hint of something smoky, which was likely the whiskey. As it dried, that smokiness came out more and a few hours in, it somehow read like men's cologne? But not in an unpleasant way, it just wasn't expected!

A ton of apple over some whiskey splashed on the background. It's mainly a boozy, slightly smokey apple. Delicious. Medium throw and wear length.

Apple juice with a slightly sour edge in the bottle. Goes on as a just-starting-to-ferment apple juice. The fermentation dials back to more of a deep note, like tobacco, which is where it stays: more of a “pipe tobacco soaked in apple cider” scent.

This smells very much like apple flavored whiskey, both in the bottle and on skin. It wasn't knock your socks off boozy or so in your face alcoholic that I didn't feel comfortable wearing it to work, and I receive many compliments whenever I wear it. The apples are more green apple than red. Not a lot of throw, decent lasting power. This is more unisex than other apple scents I've tried from the lab. My husband tried it and really liked it, too. On him the whiskey came out much stronger. I amped apples.

Smoky and woody apple, a little similar to Bits of Birnam Wood but then the whiskey gets stronger and any resemblance to that oil is gone. The whiskey takes no time overtaking the apple, leaving that note in the background. A little bit of apple spice too, think of a boozy apple pie. 

I wish the apple didn't get almost completely smothered by the whiskey, otherwise I'd have hunted for a bottle. But if you were hoping for a whiskey with a touch of apple, this is perfect.

Listen, whiskey is one of the few things that one night went bad for me, so i'm a little hestitant putting this on.... But honestly - this is not bad at all. The sharpness of the whiskey is not there, it's more of a general autumnal whiskey scent, as if it's spiked with spices. But, soft. The apple kinda swirls and swooshes around it. Happy cozy scent. :)