Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Red Oud & Balsam

Much more of a wood scent than a pine scent. The red oud brings out a more fresh lumber side to the balsam. It's nice, but not for me, I was hoping for an evergreen scent.

In the imp: Woody, but a dried and dusty sort of woody - maybe more dried resins? I get the impression of my old wooden incense burner, where so many sticks have burned down that there's a little ring of resins built up around the hole.

Wet: The dustiness/dryness has mostly gone, leaving straight resins/woods. It now smells like the incense casket where I keep unburned sticks - years of residual resins building up inside aromatic wood. (Although I believe my incense casket is cedar, and this scent isn't specifically cedar.)

Dry: Pretty linear - dry-ish woods and aromatic resins. Although perhaps leaning more towards the resins as time goes on?

Wood, dusty resins in the background, and oudh. And as always oudh just sort of burns through everything. GREAT throw and wear length.

Red Oudh & Balsam is a bit musty. A bit funky. 
The balsam is a sweet, almost vanillic drop of relief. The oudh is woodsy and... musty on me. 
I’m about to layer with In Splendoribus Sanctorum to see what can be achieved in unison. 

I took a chance with this one as oud can go either way on me, but I love balsam.  In the bottle:  Perfect scent memory of a lumberyard--kind of a resiny woodiness with an almost but not quite plastic note?  On, wet:  Plastic note explodes initially and then thankfully vanishes.  Swings oddly between a dry dusty wood and wettish resins.  On drydown, I'm getting something like very dry pinewood sawdust and a bit of dusty tar.  Not what I expected at all!  Sits very lightly on the skin once it dries down, with low throw and wear length.  I keep getting little pops of sawdust when I move around the apartment; really interesting!  I mean, one of my Grandfathers was a cabinet maker and this really reminds me of when he would cut up damaged/remainder bits of pinewood 2x4s to make gardening stakes, wedges for setting other jobs in progress, etc.  I can literally smell the fresh sawdust, hot from the bandsaw but from cold pine....

This is one of those don't judge in the bottle moments. I am an oud convert thanks to bpal, i usually find it to be almost fizzy and don't get the indolic fecal interpretation some people talk about. Not so with this. When this bottle, which i was p excited about, arrived it smelled like straight ass in the bottle. Like whoa and not pretty and very strong. Hard to describe, not exactly fecal but kind of sweatyish maybe? So i was v intimidated to put this on, until tonight when i was like okay now or never. And to be clear i am normally excited about strange in the bottle blends cause i'm a fan of morphers.

On this retains the sweaty, assy kind of throw for a few minutes, and i held myself in check to give it some time before trying again. Luckily it mellows out pretty quickly. Kind of strange but it's almost like fabric that was bunched up and on the skin it's all smoothed out and milder. There's a woodiness, and underneath that is an almost but not quite leathery muskiness. To be clear, not leather. Like a workshop maybe, with raw wood and oils and gloves laying around. Kind of reminds me of capella dos ossos with that dusty wood-stone vibe, tho capella is more sweet-vanillic and this is decidedly more masculine. The woodiness is not exactly piney to me but like the leathery muskiness there is like a resinous pininess lurking in there.

Ugh i just love this. The longer it's on me the more it really seems to warm up and blossom. Doesn't sweeten or morph much further past the initial drydown but it seems so much more warmer. I got this with the intention to use it as a layering scent but honestly i would wear this as is. Good throw on this too

Edited by DiZZysTARdust