Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Honeysuckle & Patchouli

I received my decant of this yesterday, but life got a little funky and I hadn't even touched the package. Fast forward to about ten minutes ago when I thought stupidly to myself: let's test one with breakfast! This is the one I was most intrigued by and so I grabbed it first. 

Immediate regret. The scent is all honeysuckle in the beginning, incredibly potent and strong. And not a good mix with buttered toast and strawberry yogurt. It's the kind of smell you can taste and by the gods I can taste it. After about 15 or so minutes (not actually counting) it does have the patch come out to play and it helps mellow out the incredible honeysuckle. 

I would never choose to have breakfast inside of a honeysuckle patch, and yet after today I feel I can truly speak to that experience. 

10/10 do not wear while eating toast. 

So patchouli isn't one of my favorite notes, but honeysuckle emphatically is, so I wanted to at least try a decant of this. In the decant and once on, it's all glorious, potent honeysuckle. As it dried down, the patchouli amped up a ton and a weird, vaguely plasticky undertone came out. Fortunately, said weird undertone went away after drydown and more of the honeysuckle came back, but this is more patch-heavy on me -- earthy, not overly gnarly patch, with a hint of honeysuckle to sweeten it. Probably going to pass on a full bottle since I was hoping for something more honeysuckle-dominant, but need to test my decant a few more times to be sure.

First on, sweet honeysuckle, then the dirty patchouli comes in and stays for awhile, it disappears as the dry down continues until it's just a whisp of dirty soap. 

As others have said, this begins life as a deep, rich honeysuckle. Honey-sweet and heady. Kneel before Queen Honeysuckle.

After drydown, the Queen sweeps out, leaving a hint of sweetness and a mild patchouli behind. 

In the imp: Simple, as Duets tend to be. In this case, it's honeysuckle and wet earth. There was an initial strong blast of patchouli as I uncorked the imp, but this dissipated quickly, and the patchouli read as earthier.

Wet: More honeysuckle, less patchouli. The earthy elements are still there, but much toned down - without knowing what it was, I'm not sure I could even identify it as patch.

Dry: Seems to kind of swing between the two extremes. Sometimes it's straight-up honeysuckle, and sometimes it's a seriously earthy patchouli, but most of the time it's honeysuckle and wet earth, fairly similar to ITI.

Edited by Lunasariel
Typo nitpick (capitalized "Duets").

Ugh, this is a gorgeous honeysuckle blend, and the patchouli codes as earthy dirt as opposed to straight up patch. It's like a real flower. But in the dirt. Amazing. Good throw and wear length.

Wore this one for the first time today. So hard to explain this one--the two things combine to make a totally different Third Thing on me.. In the bottle: Something very strange and green, like a fresh broken sapling twig in Spring, or trampled green grass or even cut dandelion stems with a backslap of odd resin? On, wet; The crushed green woody note slooowly begins to open up with some drier golden floral notes, but almost more like crushed sunflower petals. Whole thing gradually fades from green notes to gold, while getting stronger and more stable, think a light slowly turning on from green to gold and getting brighter. Final drydown is absolutely glorious but takes about an hour to get there--but then it sticks around all day. Great throw and wear length! Final wear is this amazing odd powdery deep gold floral/wood/skin musk, if that makes any sense! Normally I amp patch like a proverbial dirty hippie; here, you can't even really tell there is any in the blend, at least on me.  

This is a really beautiful honeysuckle blend. Three or four hours after applying, I’m still waiting for the patchouli to show up. No, not fair, it’s there, just very faint. I was hoping for a lot more patch, though.

For a second on application this is the brassy younger sister of Badgers. I love Badgers. Then it has a vague stanky weirdness under the honeysuckle for a while, and it sort of trails off in a cute, slightly more complicated honeysuckle manner.