Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A solemn paean to the dreams, destruction, despair, and delusions of the Gold Rush: sarsaparilla, cedar, and tobacco glittering with a Fool’s Gold bounty of brittle amber and mineralic aldehydes.

This reminds me a lot of Tombstone with the sarsaparilla and cedar, but this is let dry and woody to me. I get sweet tobacco and amber specifically. There was a glittery, cool feel to the scent fresh on but it quickly disappeared. This is super yummy and comforting. Grown up rootbeer. 

Native Gold starts off strong on the sassafras, reminding me strongly of Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener. In the background, I get some of the mineral-y aldehyde, but the sassafras is queen. Over time, the sassafras loses its strength, giving way to a tobacco-forward blend backed by some warm cedar and a bit of the mineral aldehyde from before.

This would be a good sassafras scent for those who want classy root beer that is tobacco-ed instead of vanilla-ed. I prefer my sassafras with the sweetness of vanilla, so I'll stick with Stimulating Sasssafras Strengthener and Tombstone.

Mineral birch beer. It's a bit sparkly-fizzy, maybe from the aldehydes.

A fizzy sarsaparilla with a little cedar after drydown.

Birch beer, mineral water, and a touch of cedar. This is if rootbeer went out west, riding a horse, and developed some grit in the process. Rugged, gritty, rootbeer. Medium throw and wear length.

Ooh, Native Gold is delicious.  If you love rootbeery blends, you have to try this one.  There's soft, sweet tobacco and amber in the drydown; I'm not actually getting much cedar.  But the sarsaparilla is still in the forefront, and it's lasting well on me, too.  Rugged and cuddly.  Very nice!

This is the 'poof' you get after pouring a big, frosty mug of root beer in a frozen mug. Smashing your mouth down into the brilliant, blanket of foam and savoring the sweet, creamy cloud. It calms down quickly as the cedar comes forward, giving it a base. Ahhhh, this is so lovely, drying down to a dry, herbal treasure. I would call it a skin scent, giving me an additional layer of sugary, warm sweetness. I've tried most of the lab's root beers, and i'm thinking this is absolutely my dreamcometrue root beer scent. 

Edited by Jenjin

This is effing delicious! 

It starts out as straight up root beer, but quickly dries down to a root beer & amber blend on my skin, with a hint of tobacco in the background.

I have been forcing my roommate to sniff all new to me BPALs I have been trying out. Most of them she is unimpressed with, as our tastes differ. With this one she took my wrist and starting rubbing it all over her face! 😂 So, I let her put some on. I may need to hide it from her now! 

Edited by katharina
Completing my ADHD thought that I missed the first round.

sarsaparilla is a new note for me, and i'm sure i've smelled aldehydes but i couldn't pick them out of a lineup.  but after testing native gold, anything with sarsaparilla is instantly bouncing onto my to-try list.  i love it! 

it starts off as a rush of fizzy sweet ambery root beer, then the amber quickly muscles its way to the front.  but it is backed by sweet tobacco and warm cedar, and the sarsaparilla spices it so uniquely... i don't know if i would be able to identify it as sassafras/root beer at this point, it's more like a fuzzy anise-y spice.  it's bordering on addictive to me.  cannot stop huffing my arm! 

i don't know how to even begin to describe the mineralic aldehydes, but there they are.  kind of sitting on the top of this blend with an effervescent mineraly note.  it gives the whole blend a bit of freshness and lift that i find very enjoyable. 

completely unique and compelling. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Quick test from mail -

In the bottle, this is all delicious root beer. On skin, the tobacco quickly came forward; equal parts tobacco and root beer now. This is even more amazing than I imagined :wub2:

I usually hate root beer / sarsaparilla scents, but Native Gold conjures up this old Western vibe that I really enjoy, transporting me to an old, dusty mining town in the West of old Hollywood movies.  It somehow really does smell like dusty minerals and the scent of standing just inside of a cave, this chilled, rocky, ancient scent that I love.  The dry cedar and sweet tobacco conjure up the images of an old wooden saloon.  The sarsaparilla smells like root beer, but leans more towards dried herbs and old apothecary than a root beer float, which I prefer more than the impression of the sugar drenched drink.  As it dries down, this is also reminding me of Essence by Reminiscence Paris, which is one of my favorites.