Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An iron grey beacon of good fortune: opoponax and sweet labdanum with iron filings, high john the conqueror root, vetiver, frankincense, and patchouli.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect with this one, since metal can be an iffy note sometimes, and it seemed like it may end up smelling too masculine for me. I needn’t have worried, turns out I really like this! 

This scent is so well balanced, no single note is sticking out to me at first. It’s warm and resinous, with a bright, almost orangy cast to it, but not in a foody way. The metallic tang of the iron filings is there, but thankfully not too overwhelming. It’s smooth, slightly sweet, and dry but not too dry. It reminds me a bit of Karma from Lush, but much nicer and more mellow.

When it’s completely dry it dims down to an earthy base note with an edge of smoky hot metal. Amazing and very sexy. I can’t stop sniffing my arm! If it’s a factor for you, I’d say this leans toward a classically masculine scent, though I really think it would smell great on anyone. The throw and staying power on this is insane too. It's been over 14 hours and this is still going strong! In fact it’s so strong I might end up diluting my decant in a carrier oil to tone it down a bit.

Overall I think this is a lovely blend for for all us lovers of warm dry scents!

Edited by Mad Maudlin

This really does put across the idea of iron. Nine out of 10 dwarves would choose Magnetite.

On me, this is warm, gray, metallic iron with a blend of labdanum, vetiver, frank, and patch. Iron and labdanum are strongest on me, which gives this something of a metallic cola vibe, but grounded in earthy woods and minerals.

I wouldn't be surprised if a little black musk or cologne were in this mix, but there's not much specific getting out through its mighty Labdanum-Iron Wall.

Magnetite is an iron fortress.

On wet, the iron and vetiver are overwhelming, but as it dries, the fig, frankincense, patchouli come out, and then I get a dark resinous blend with a spash of rootbeer, and a touch of iron. It's actually softer and very wearable. It's like well worn armor. Sort of delicious. 

10/10 would follow any dwarf that smelled like this home.

Testing blind I thought, Opoponax! Or labdanum? And labdanum!  And I was delighted at the lovely syrupy dark resins, and this was looking like a bottle.  As it dried down, though, something went a bit sour on my skin, either the frankincense or the iron note or the combination of the two.  It was never unpleasant, it just wasn't amazing anymore.  I think this will age beautifully if it works on you, but I will probably let go of my decant as it doesn't seem to like my skin chemistry. 

Magnetite Phoenix is in the same niche as Schwarzer Mond for me. 

The iron is a strong hollow and sharp sensation right off the bat, but then it backs off and I get primarily a labdanum-heavy dark resin + patchouli, with vetiver emerging more with wear time. It’s masculine-leaning, and I tend to like the heavier scents like this.

Luckily, I own a bottle of SM, so I’m not going to need more than the one decant. 

This is sooooo gorgeous. Every time I wear it, I get approached by coworkers or strangers asking what it is or wanting to smell me. It is truly metallic, but not in an offputting or harsh way. It is warm and inviting, a bit earthy, very resiny. I bought it largely because I love High John the Conqueror for a lot of reasons, and even though I can't pick it out particularly in the blend, I always feel very powerful and confident wearing it. I'd call it unisex leaning just slightly masculine. It's a great scent for a job interview or any day when you need to stand your ground. It lasts for hours and has a tremendous throw. A little goes a very long way.