Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Sustained Boos

This scent is both ethereal and heavy; it is a booming roar of derision, a howl of resistance echoing into the darkness: a chilly aldehyde with blackened clove and coffee bean, black sandalwood, nutmeg, nag champa, white amber, and benzoin.

In the bottle: Getting lots of coffee bean/nutmeg/clove, but it's all cooled down by the aldehyde (?). Smells sweet to me - kind of like the center of Tootsie Pop.
Wet: More of the spice is coming out! The nag champa/benzoin are in the back with a very faint whiff of sandalwood.
Dry: Far less chilly! Lots of warm spices and wood, the amber and benzoin are lending a small hint of sweetness. 

This morphed a LOT - overall it kinda reminds me of coming in out of the cold and having a hot drink.  I'm not sure why it smelled so sweet to me in the bottle, but once it's on my skin the spices really come out! 

So imagine all these elements mixed with a dry club soda.  That's the effect the aldehydes have to my nose.  They make this blend cool and effervescent.  The coffee bean, nutmeg, and clove add a foody tinge, and I agree that this smells drinkable at first.  It made me think of those chocolate Jones sodas, if anyone is familiar.  The incense notes balance out and then usurp any foodiness on me later, and this becomes more akin to Cafe Millet et une Nuits with more head shop and less spice cabinet.  I really like it, and if you want coffee without all the buttercream and what not, this is worth checking out.  

Between this and Abolish ICE, the activism blends are taking care of my coffee needs.   :coffee:

ETA - Says the person who just started a decanting circle of all coffee scents...  :umm:

Edited by VetchVesper

Just got this out of the package and it's smelling like pure chocolate tootsie pop on me. :( I'm hoping that will change as it settles down, because I'm so not a foodie person (aside from coffee beans).

Sustained Boos is a wintery version of Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit. I get the chilly aldehyde, reminiscent of a snow/cool wind note, with the same coffee bean and champaca found in Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, and there's some clove thrown in for good measure. The resins play a background role on my skin. Champaca can quickly overtake other notes on me, but it is playing well with the coffee bean and clove in this one. The scent starts off chilly but transforms into a warm scent over time.

I don't think I need more of this since I already own a bottle of Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, but I do think this is really nice. I'll be hanging on to my decant.

Clove, amber, and whisps of aldehydes and coffee. This toggles between cool and warm with the notes in here. I'm prone to like it because of the clove-amber, and then it gets much cooler and windier as the aldehydes whip through it. Would also be stunning if you're looking for an assertive masculine cologne type. Great throw and wear length.

This is the ghost of a heavy, dark scent--light effervescence but with a backlash of dark cold woods of some sort, and some resins, and a teeny hit of black cocoa powder. This one sits about 3" above the skin; hard to describe. Really liking it.  Hard to pin down. Has little aldehyde pops also.

Edited by Threemoons

I have no ideas what "aldehydes" are, but everything in this scent blends together so well. No one note stands out above the others. This is a rich, resinous, cozy scent. My husband really likes it on me, and I feel comfortable and content when I wear it. It is like slipping on that perfect sweater that is soft and cozy, yet somehow make you look like you've got it all going on. 

i just wanna say. I’m so glad i got this last year. It’s a holy grail for me. 4th full sized bottle i ever bought. It’s definitely cozy and cool

hmm.. this is an interesting one!

At first, I was getting a strong menthol vibe from the aldehyde, which was messing with the coffee and clove in a weird and clamorous way. Once fully dried down though, the menthol fades - there’s still a slight hint of mintiness, but the benzoin has created a nice base of gentle sweetness which stops it straying back into menthol land. 

Unfortunately, the coffee has pretty much disappeared from my skin. And I’m not getting any nutmeg, but I’m not mad about that because it’s not a good note for me anyway. 

I’m not really picking up any amber or sandalwood individually although I know they’re there - they have blended in beautifully with the clove and nag champa to give off a lovely soft clove-y incense vibe. Very nice 😊