Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ancient tomes, well-loved yellow paperbacks, leather-bound grimories, crumbling parchment scrolls, mimeograph ink, and tattered zines

Fresh from the mail and if the scent morphs much in the next couple weeks I will update this review:

in bottle: smells like leather: soft leather. 

on skin: burst of leather, followed with paper and and ink. 

dry down: settles to paper, like, new paperback books. Less leather now, less ink. 

I am not getting ancient from this at all, but a fresh large print or coffee table book type smell. I can *hear* the crinkling of a new book opening, this smells so fresh and authentic. Wondering if aging will bring out the yellowing aspect, or if it will stay fresh book. Smells like the campus library, where newer textbooks are stocked.... would be nice layered in that aspect, maybe with something danish or coffee (more on that....).

reminds me of Jovabokaflod without the holiday vibe or the chocolate note (I didn’t ever get hearth from that one). Not perfumey at all like some bookish scents (Svarta ...), but I think Miskatonic U has a more older library type vibe than this one. Leaves me thinking I need a FS of Miskatonic for the autumn. Giving it a bigger test run tonight with my kindle, as book scents are my “go to” bedtime favorites and I think I will enjoy this one, although I may layer it. 

This starts off strong of leather on me. It's almost all I can smell. As it dries I get whiffs of both paper and ink. After about an hour, the leather has receded, and its a balance of leather, paper, ink and a whiff of dust. After about two hours, its much sweeter and it smells like yellowed paper, whiff of comforting vanilla, dust, and just is plain cozy. Medium throw and wear length.

This is like walking in a well kept library with leather bound books in a fancy city like Venice. It's lovely from wet to dry. Partial needed.

Books features a soft leather note with vanillic, tonka-sweetened pages that become sweeter on me with wear. I agree that this is a fresh book scent, not that of an ancient, dusty tome. 

This is one of those book scents where the pages are not completely overpowered by the leather, and for that, I am thankful. This is really lovely. If you like The Book from the Paranorman line, you may like Books as well (due to the page to leather ratio... but they are not the same scent).

I think I need more of this.

Thank you to the kind soul that sent me a sample of this after I missed out on a bottle. :heart: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

I missed the bottle, so I'm glad someone sent me a tester

wet: soft papery leather, almost sweet but quickly sours,

faint, low-throw

rather "yellow"

dry: definitely more leather but still sour. 

I don't get "books" at all

Oh this is really nice. Leather leads, but it's not a harsh leather at all. It's softened so beautifully with a gentle almost-beeswax, almost-barely-vanilla creaminess. It's a lot like how Wax Cylinders, Bright Red Dildo, etc balance the leather and beeswax notes so all the hard edges of the leather are gone and it's just a nice mellow skin scent, but sexy and distinguished at the same time. As it dries, the paper notes come out. It really is like old paper and new paper at the same time, with the binding glue and the glossy magazine covers shuffled with older yellowed pages. The ink note is very hard to describe (a gentle sharpness? Almost-chemical/metallic-but-not-quite?) but it's definitely there. Write on a page with a ballpoint and give it a whiff, and it's that. 

I really really like this. It's maximum cozy, evocative but still wearable. Almost no throw, but that seems appropriate. I wish it lasted longer, but still, this bibliophile is in loooove. Holding tight to this decant.

Yay! I finally get to try Books! 

It starts off heavy brown leather with a vanillaic quality and also a medicinal quality that I'm not sure I like. I think I smell a bit of ink but it isn't prominent. Very low throw and my skin just seems to eat it as it is almost gone within an hour. I have only let this rest for a week or so and am sure it will deepen as it ages. Glad to have some!

Edited by HerbGirl

I can’t imagine a lovelier scent than this fragrant interpretation of the object my heart treasures above all things. The dusty-grassy-vanillin smell of faded pages from a favorite tale and a glossy, enchanted ink distilled from marzipan and apricots dried to small, sweet wrinkled pillows in a 100 years’ sleep.