Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

So frustrating because on paper it looks like it should work on me, but my evil skin chemistry messes it all up. This comes through as a cologne with a citrus topper. Faint salt mixed with what I assume is ouhd. No rose, and not sure the other notes are peeking through for me either. So cologne. 

in the bottle this is beautiful and I may keep for scent locket. It is algae (a sort of sweet and Savory greenery) peppered with a little salty water, some citrus and non foody sweetness that sort of rounds our the scent. Like really lovely. It is just my stupid chemistry.

if you are a fan of non traditional aquatics give it a try.

Salty water, coral, and notes of salt and ocean deep. This is the smell of a mermaid (the kind of in a folk tale). You know, a SIREN. The type to sing you to your watery doom in the depths of the ocean. Mysterious, haunting, salty. Medium throw and wear length.

Saltwater, sea glass. It smells like I am eating glass. The notes give me a headache.  But it's is dead on accurate.

This made me nostalgic for seaside trips from when I was a kid. I get soft sea water- not harshly salty or kelpy. I think I get a bit of ambergris as well, as there is a bit of a powdery edge, perhaps this is the sea glass or coral. Mysterious and haunting indeed. 

Beauty beauty beauty. A light, wearable, turquoise aquatic.

Wet it's mildly soapy, but it settles into a fresh, mildly cologney, very clean-sea-watery scent. I get the references to glass and iridescence in the description for sure. This doesn't have a heavy salt note on me. Also, I do not possess a nose that's friendly to oudhs, but this was absolutely fine! Hooray!

Ozonic, clean, and gender neutral. But thankfully, it isn’t soapy (at least not compared to the only other aquatics I’ve tried: Cthulhu, Bayou, The Sea Foams Blood, The Waters of Notre Dame)

Ariel smells very green, and it conjures memories of rain, rather than the beach. This is actually a dead ringer for The Garden of Good and Eva from Benefit Cosmetics, which is long discontinued I’m pretty sure. 

It has a sharpness all the way through the drydown that could definitely be interpreted as cologne, so if you’re looking for something overtly feminine this may not be the one for you, despite the name. 

I came to BPAL initially for the Lovecraftian and oceanic themed perfumes because I was drawn to them conceptually. But, I was turned off by how clean and soapy those ones were in actuality, and so my tastes made a sharp left turn into vanilla/sugar/foodie territory. Ariel is more like what I had hoped those other aquatics would be, and I’m very glad to have it in my collection☺️

Edited by stainedglass_siren

The sea, grey and restless on an overcast morning, just as the sun is glimmering through the clouds. A scent of marine breezes, salted shore, and fluttering sea grasses, with a gleam of something glowing and chilly, a streak of citrus, a lemony-floral-fresh yuzu, with a bit of a mineralic tang. Bioluminescent algae dappling a dark sea cave wall.