Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Amour Fou

I get mainly a sort of mossy chypre, with a whiff of leather. On wet, the leather was much more predominant and I say masculine, and then it dries to a moss-citrus chypre which is more gender neutral. Medium throw and wear length.

huh, I get "vintage perfume" right out of the bottle

as it dries I get more "dried flowers" and "forest floor", which is the chypre. It has a solid throw.

no leather at all :( no vetiver either

though it could be argued that the chypre has a leathery quality to it

Wet: moss and cologne and citrus?
Dry: a very nice cologne, with the moss and leather and vetiver blending into a warm even tone beneath the chypre. Has a very smart and slightly old-fashioned masculinity, in a classy, three-piece-suit-and-ascot way.

rivetted sent me a sniffie of this and I fell in love and bought a bottle (and some others) within a few days of testing!  This really is a vintage scent, a genuine vintage chypre that immediately reminded me of exploring my grandmother's giant mahogany curios filled with old bone china and dried flowers, leather photo albums and that strange, comforting smell that settles on well loved and maintained objects. Each scent note has settled on top of another to make a lovely unified whole: green, soft almost twilight twinkling moss paired with soft brown leather in a close, enveloping hug. I don't clearly read the sweet vetiver but it's not smokey or spiky at all, just another aspect of those soft, comforting mosses.

This is so so so vintage, I almost can't explain it. The scent got to my brain and a neon sign lit up flashing VINTAGE! GET YOUR ROARING TWENTIES VINTAGE HERE! This takes me to my grandmother's buffets AND it also gently reminds me of the sort of man my grandfather had been before he passed. He was the tall, broad-shouldered sort, and he exuded a classic, 1940's rugged soldier's masculinity that gave way to a much gentler spirit as we grandchildren arrived. So this scent reads like a lost-to-time masculinity in the softest, most comforting way. He loved Edith Piaff and wearing Amour Fou is like hearing her voice over the record player - soft, laden with age and memories, yet timeless and transporting - while being held in a pair of strong, comforting arms.  🖤

I have always loved the idea of having a “soft place to fall”; a love that offers safe harbor, that wraps you in its warm, uncomplicated embrace. This, I think, is far from the imagery that the idea of “amour fou”--mad love, or insane passion, is wont to conjure when you roll the concept of it around in your imagination. But that is what Amour Fou smells of to me: the dusty, woody soft shadowy green musk of moss, combined with the bitter/smokey birch tar scent of worn leather, combing to create a warmth that is equal to that of gently falling asleep at night, curled quietly in your lover’s arms. And, yet... perhaps that wild, frenzied amour fou simmers low and silent in your heart still and surges madly with every deep, dreaming breath they take beside you. What a marvel, this balm. This haven. This fever.