Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Lurid Library’s Pumpkin Patch

The incense-tinged scent of forbidden tomes and the musk-laden remnants of infernal servants slithering through an overgrown, neglected pumpkin patch.

Incense, weeds, pumpkin and a whiff of leather. So, this definitely smells someone tried to summon a demon in a library but ended up summoning an infernal pumpkin that has clearly taken over the library and does not give two damns that this used to be a library for nefarious purposes, and has re-purposed it as a pumpkin patch for its own malefic purposes. So yes, demon pumpkin takes over your library. Medium throw and wear length.

I just pulled this puppy from the mail, so I will update later if it ends up shifting greatly after it settles, but what I get right off is Patchouli with a capital "P" and a bit of leather, which is always understated on me.  I get no pumpkin spice, which usually amps, and I get no hint of pumpkin.  I have been looking for a dark pumpkin scent that would work for me, and this does indeed work - but maybe that's b/c I can't smell the pumpkin?  🎃 

It gets very dusty, black musky on my skin after a few minutes, which I could take or leave, but then... THEN it becomes copal.  Lovely, glorious copal, which I adore, and which is an unexpected surprise.  The copal begins to temper itself back in with the other notes, and now I do get a vague impression of books, though that might be b/c I know I'm supposed to.  I never smelled the original Lurid Library, but this is very nice.  I would definitely recommend it to copal and patch lovers, and can allay the fears of anyone dreading being pumpkin spiced to death.   

I do wish I could smell even a hint of pumpkin, but perhaps this will come out in the last wisps of dry down or as the bottle ages and the patchouli has time to settle.  

Of all the pumpkin patches, this was probably the least pumpkiny of them all. It's very pretty. But I get a lot of pencil shavings, which is not my normal response to cedar or other resins. It's not a complex incense or a lovely book scent to me, just slightly perfumey pencil shavings. No fear for pumpkin spice here! Just a faint twist of pumpkin to the normal Lurid Library, which I traded away because it never did smell like books on me. 

If Lurid Library didn't work on you, this is a soft and slightly more incensey pile of pencils and pumpkins. If it did, I'd give it a try for sure!

(Side note: I haven't sniffed The Lurid Library in years, and can't remember what I thought of it.)

Wet: Pencil shavings, some kind of dusty musk scent, and leather. Pumpkin, where you at?

Dry: The pencil shavings have mostly calmed down (aka they're still kinda there, just not as crazy as earlier); otherwise that dusty musk and leather are still there. You know what still hasn't arrived? The pumpkin.

Not a winner for me.

I recently got to try The Lurid Library, which was more like a cologne-y incense than a book scent to me.

I was hoping the pumpkin patch version would be more to my liking. Alas, it's more like a powdery incense on me. I get zero pumpkin from this whatsoever.

Wherefore art thou, pumpkin?

If you're looking for a library full of books plus pumpkin, this isn't it. The Lurid Library's Pumpkin Patch is not for me, since I didn't get books or pumpkin from this one.

I don't know what it is about BPAL's library scents, but my skin chemistry obliterates them.  I did try Lurid Library recently and got soft incense rather than old books, and while it lasted a long time, it was very quiet on me.  The Lurid Library's Pumpkin Patch smells similar to me.  There is no pumpkin spice here, not that I expected it in a pumpkin patch; there may be some faint squash vines and soil, but I'm not finding any appreciable pumpkin.  And after an hour or so, there was very little scent left. 

Ooh, this has aged nicely! It was always incensey with a bit of cedar but now the deep musk is more pronounced & there's a cola note, too (opopponax?). Sexy, slightly sinister cologne. :vamp:

The original Lurid Library never smelled like books to me; it was more the atmosphere of an occult library than the contents. I'm attributing the additional woodiness here to the dried vines of the pumpkin patch but I don't get a pumpkin note as such. It's great as is!