Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Devil’s Night in the Pumpkin Patch

There aren't any listed notes that the two share in common, but the fragrance that Devil's Night in the Pumpkin Patch immediately reminds me of, aside from Devil's Night itself, is Le Père Fouettard. They both give me an image of a cool tough guy who will let you wear his black leather jacket if it's suddenly chilly. Not that this is a gendered scent, because I could easily give this to my husband and it could work for anyone along the gender/agender spectrum, as long as you love a sweet, smoky, dark musk. It's not funky or stanky in spite of the mention of "sweaty" in the description. The booziness is an undertone. It's not a buttery pumpkin, but more like the one from Theme in Yellow. I've unfortunately only got a decant of the regular Devil's Night, but this new pumpkin guts edition is a wonderful alternative.

Devil's Night in the PP is clearly the cool kid in the pumpkin patch. You get cool autumn breeze, the impression of a black leather jacket, a whiff of musk and smoke, and notes of pumpkin that probably has taken a swig of whiskey somewhere but you sure as heck can't find a flask on this pumpkin, no sirree. All you get is that insolent stare and smirk, and you know this pumpkin is playing games with you. Deep down, you also know you're beat and this pumpkin is definitely cooler than you. Medium throw and wear length.

Of all the pumpkin patches I got this year, Devil's Night has been earning the most slathers. From a 2005 decant, I knew Devil's Night proper was a win on me. Pumpkin Patch takes all the incantations of the original and adds some extra magic with spices like clove and nutmeg. It's not pumpkin spice, and it's certainly not that thick, syrupy pumpkin spice that was thrown into 2019's crop of hair glosses and some oils.

Instead, it's a beautiful unsweetened pumpkin-gourd and fall-spice sprinkling that enhances the sweet black musk of Devil's Night and bring the crispness of the leaves and the swirl of the smoke to life. Just like the original, it's quiet and understated, like secret seances in the privacy of the parlour, letting other mummers carry on their devilry out in the open. This pumpkin patch is well-hidden; dark, foggy; passing into the night after a few hours, but leaving a memory of eeriness in its wake. To me, it's even better than the first Devil's Night, and absolutely worthy of a bottle.

Note: I have never tried Devil's Night.

I feel like the above reviews are pretty spot on. Devil's Night in the Pumpkin Patch is the 'cool guy' scent in this year's pumpkin patch. The dark musk is the star here, backed by some light spice, a bit of booze, and the suggestion of a leather jacket. There's no buttery pumpkin or syrup-y pumpkin spice here.

It's nice, but I also know I am not likely to reach for such a musk-heavy scent, so I don't think it's a keeper for me. Definitely one of the highlights of the pumpkin patch this blends I tried this year, though.

I've been wearing this quite often despite not usually being drawn to smoky scents. It opens with some mellow cedarwood & bonfire smoke grounded by a woody musk with a little booze lurking in the back. I don't really get any leather, unless that's what I'm reading as the wood/booze. The dry down is warm musk & slightly spiced woods. This smells great on my husband, too, and layers really well with Dorian! :wub2:

This is a really dark blend without being so fall-ish that it is out of place during the other seasons. It is different from Devil's Night that I can justify having both! Devil's Night is definitely sweeter.

The musk leans into hot man territory, kind of dark and mysterious! It wears closer to the skin than Devil's Night in my experience. 

It actually really reminds me of one of my favorites, The Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn- I believe that they both share a peppery note. The spices in this perfume are not pumpkin-spice like at all (and as a person terrified on cinnamon in perfumes due to its tendency to overpower everything) and instead are more peppery. 

While I mentioned that this perfume smells like a sexy mysterious man, I don't think it is out of place at all on more feminine folks, at there is still a sweetness to it in the background that almost feels a bit resinous.