Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Wax Vampire Teeth Snake Oil

Hahaha, I don’t even know where to start with this one. It smells fairly insane/unpleasant in the bottle, like caustic chemicals or rubber. Never deterred from the intensity of a BPAL bottle-sniff, I apply, and I still can’t quite grok what this scent IS or is trying to evoke 😆 To be fair, I’m not quite sure I even remember WHAT wax vampire teeth smelled like. I’m getting NO Snake Oil in this whatsoever, but as it starts to blend in my skin I’m getting a strong cedar or mulchy dirt scent. My boyfriend says it smells like Ivory Soap and incense. Hahaha, sorry everyone, for the bizarre description, but my skin doesn’t know what to do with this. I hope others post their takes, and maybe with some aging this one will become wearable on me! 

Wax Vampire Teeth is a weirdo. It's the black leather, motor oil, deeply gothy weirdo Snake Oil. So yeah, notes of both black leather and motor oil, drizzled over Snake Oil, which just softens both the leather and motor oil, but not enough to hide how deeply rugged this blend is. Great throw and wear length, because thank you leather.

Source: Decant from zankoku_zen

Wet: Bright aquatic with leathery undertones.

Drydown: Wafts of a foody, almost cakey note. The bright aquatic persists, but as it dries further, a delicious black leather note begins to dominate.

Dry: Oil splattered old leather jacket, with that strange flirtation of a keening aquatic aftershave.

Overall: It isn't easy for me to identify Snake Oil in this blend, but it is still a pleasant leather experience. 

In the decant: Black leather and... clove?

On my skin:

Wet, it's still lots of leather though the clove note has disappeared. Additionally, something vaguely sweet and slightly fruity has surfaced. As it dries, the sweetness subsides, and I'm back to experiencing (though maybe not directly smelling) clove. There's something very like Fortuna Restitutrix about this on me. 

I'm another one who can't find the Snake Oil in this. Next steps: Allow to age and then retry.

Edit, 11/28, Slightly Awkward Update -- A day and a half later, and the bra I was wearing when I reviewed this scent smells absolutely fabulous. Based on what else I wore around that time, Wax Vampire Teeth Snake Oil is the most likely cause of this. I can make out blood musk, something deeper, and sexiness. 

Edited by torischroeder9

Wet: Sweet aquatic with leather and rubber? There's a lot going on here, and my nose is confused.

Dry: Super salty, slightly sweet, aquatic. Tiniest bit of leather. No Snake Oil here. What is going on here?

I actually don't mind the dry down at all! It's... nothing at all like I was expecting, but I don't think I'm alone with that opinion. ;)  

This smells like a slightly animalic, dirtied up leather and musk, with maybe some cherry swirling around at the beginning.  I'm getting a hint of waxy/rubbery something, and a hint of spice too, nothing specific, just slightly spicy.  Also - either there is extra musk in this, or maybe a little oud, and that's where the "dirty" part comes from.  The Snake Oil isn't very strong and there's not a lot of sillage for me, which is actually what I prefer over super-strong scents.  This is great.  Am I going to wear it?  I'm not sure, but I like it more than Snake Skin and I'm glad I didn't let it pass by.  It's perfect for Halloween!

Like others mentioned, I didn't get it when I first tried it, right after I got it in the mail.  I did set it aside for a few days, and now I understand how this fits the concept.  The light bulb went on today - "Ah yes, Wax Vampire Teeth!  I get it now!".

I was really curious about this just because it sounds so unique. Alas, Wax Vampire Teeth Snake Oil is not a snake for me.

This features a chemically sort of black leather and possibly a latex note. There's something in the background that kind of reminds me of those wax soda pop candies that you have to bite the wax off in order to get the sugary soda out, but it is buried beneath the leather. Snake Oil's spices are definitely present on me, but I don't get any of the vanilla sweetening up the mix like I do with Snake Skin, so I vastly prefer that one over this.

This is one weird snek.

Wow, my experience was so much different. It ended up having a floral quality to it. Not quite rose, but it hit me similar to a heady floral that was acrid. I didn't get wax, leather, or anything else people noted. Not a snake for me.

Snake Oil was barely present at all for me in this blend, but I still enjoyed it. It was mostly a powdery, waxy cherry note with the tiniest bit of spice. 

I would pass on this if you are wanting the wax vampire teeth note to not be as strong as Snake Oil. I have a similar BPAL to this so I doubt this decant will be upgraded to a bottle. But if you really like cherry, this could still be good if you don't mind the powder and wax notes that are also present.