Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Shadowed Veil

A strangely sensual, darkly fae All Hallow’s Eve cologne, a perfume of the Otherworld: black pumpkin, leather, pomegranate incense, agarwood, and bourbon patchouli.

Really beautiful. Smells exactly as expected - the leather, bourbon patchouli, and pumpkin being the most prominent. Kind of smells like Samhain and Perversion had a baby, then covered it in dry autumn leaves on a cold, smoky night.

The only drawback - it faded a bit quickly. But definitely still worth it.

Ooh this is nice. As described! Sexy dark...and it wafts like Haunted, but darker and a bit toffee-like sweet.  Floats around the wearer but you don't get a straight shot when you stick your nose directly on it. 

Dark pumpkin, patchouli, and a whiff of incense. This smells like a perfume the Witch in the Forest might wear. It's earthy, dirty, and seductive. It speaks of cool, dark nights, the moist earth, and fires. It smells like a magical bonfire in the forest, the type you know means NO GOOD, and while you shouldn't investigate, you do so anyway. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Getting all of the notes except for the pomegranate incense. 

Wet: Much the same as in the bottle, slightly more redolent. Pomegranate is sort of peeking around through the edges.

Dry: All notes are present and accounted for! It's quite smooth and sultry with just a touch of grittiness from the patchouli. 

A very alluring scent! It got a bit sweeter when freshly applied, but it slid back into earthy territory straightaway. 

Bottle: The pumpkin and bourbon really comes through first and foremost for me, it's soo foodie, I wanted to eat it. 

Wet: The scent is much more subtle. Clove and leather are prominent and pumpkin and pomegranate peek around the edges. Sweet and smoky. 

Dry: Subtle, very earthy and smoky. The sweetness of the pomegranate is just hiding behind everything. Overall it's very sultry and witchy. Reminds me greatly of Caleb's seduction in the VVitch. 

I absolutely love this--it's the perfect combination of spooky + sweet. It starts off surprisingly sweet, but delicious. It reminds me of caramel popcorn or something similar. The sweetness fades pretty quickly into a more subtle, gorgeous incense. I can't really pick out the pomegranate, but there is still a touch of sweetness, either from that or the fading pumpkin/bourbon. 

My first thought smelling the decant was "pumpkin cookies?" Weirdly I got pumpkin cookies. I guess blackened pumpkin just tends to skew sweet and buttery.

Then the pomegranate and incense came out and I had a sweet, faint pomegranate waft around me.

This scent is not terribly strong probably because leather is weak on me and pomegranite tends to fade quickly. It does have a good throw though. I suspect the scent might have more staying power as the patchouli ages.

I loved The Shadowed Veil, though it didn't live long on my skin.

Blackened pumpkin (like a dark, wicked pumpkin that was a bit chocolate-like on my friend), a pleasantly woody oud, patchouli, and a whiff of soft leather. I never noticed pomegranate.

I can really see the secret Witch in the Woods analogy for this one.

First sniff off the decant is all pumpkin and leather. This is the pumpkin used in pumpkin spice blends - not buttery and sweet, but herbal and bold. The leather is full bodied but not chemically harsh.

On the skin, I get a nose full of pumpkin-leather-patchouli. It has a strong throw right away and is a bit overpowering.

After about 30 mins, the pumpkin softens out and blend with the leather. The other notes start melding into the scent. The blending of scents is so intricate that it's difficult to pull a single scent into recognition, but the leather and pumpkin still dominate.

As the scent dries down (3+ hours later) it evolves into a Halloween, goth scent. The pumpkin is still there, with the leather making the scent smooth. Towards the end of the maturity of the scent, the heavier scents of leather and pumpkin melt away and leave a haunting pomegranate/patchouli/incense scent behind.

To me, this is a Halloween witch. Mature, bold, and unapologetic. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin scents, but I would say this one's a keeper.

This is one of the standouts from my 2019 Weenies collection. In the bottle, I get the pumpkin, bourbon, and leather. I don't really get pomegranate, but there is an underlying sweetness which may be attributed to it. I guess there is a vague incense-y feel. The patchouli note here is a very soft one.

When I put it on, the pumpkin and bourbon are most prominent, and the leather takes some time to emerge. When it does, it adds a bit of a cooler tone to the warmer notes. Lovely combination. Really, it's just beautifully blended, and I can't wait to see how it ages. 

It does remind me quite a bit of Resistance. Which I also love, so that's not a terrible thing at all. 

The Shadowed Veil was very tempting to me when the Weenies were released. I’m relieved that I waited to try a decant before buying a bottle. 
It’s dark and dry incense, a whiff of tart pom at the very beginning, which flees in the wake of the dark pumpkin. The pumpkin, unfortunately, smells something like stuffing to me, much in the same way Red Pumpkin Floss. 
My partner was digging it, yet to my nose it just smelled off. 

Glad I got the chance to try it! 
Looks like Empty House is the dark pumpkin for me this year~

2022 version: The pomegranate incense is what makes this for me. It's not very strong,  but it's there, and it really elevates the blend. The pumpkin and leather are the strongest right off the bat, and the patchouli is an undercurrent, not too loud. After 20-30 minutes, it's mostly patchouli and leather, with a bit of butteriness from the pumpkin and the incense.

this starts off as a big blast of creamy, buttery pumpkin, with a touch of spice to it, and a woodsy patch backer.
almost immediately on me, those elements start to flip-flop.  the pumpkin starts receding, while a woodsy incensey patchouli comes forward.

i am a bit leather-shy,  but it doesn't really show itself on me until later in the game, and at that point it's soft, gentle, and thoroughly meshed with the background punkin.  a base of dark, leathery pumpkin, with a woodsy patchouli incense wafting over the top.  just a touch smoky, perhaps?   the agarwood, i think, is just adding to the impression woods and incence, and i can't detect anything that i'd identify as oudhy.

i never tracked any pom to speak of up close, though occasionally i think i might catch vague hints of something fruity/sweet in the throw, when i wave my arm around. i feel fairly certain that it's in there working unseen to keep this blend from going too heavy, dark, and rich. 

i wouldn't call this an overly sweet perfume, but in general i do like sweeter elements to be present, so i'm probably less sensitive to it than some.

this is wonderfully spooky, dark, and evocative of the weenie season.  i have no doubt that i will get a lot of mileage out of it every year when a chill touches the air and i start craving all things halloween.  the rest of the year?  maybe not as much, unless that pumpkin mellows out a bit.

I love this so much. It is complex but so well blended, I had so much fun smelling my wrists trying to smell everything (which I could!). This could be my favorite Halloweenie. If you like the listed notes, I don't see how you could go wrong with this. My only gripe is that my bottle was only filled to just barely above the top of the label, which is so rare.

Another morpher on me that vaguely reminds me of an amped up version of Snake Oil almost!  In the bottle:  Almost but not quite gourmand toasted vanilla and pumpkin.  On, wet:  The patch and a bit of the resinous wood notes start to come out.  Drydown:  I'm mostly getting a toasty pumpkin with whiffs of woody resins and a good hit of vanilla, and just a hint of something cool like the leather note.  

In the imp I get a dark leathery patchouli, punctured by a steak of pomegranate. On the skin the pumpkin comes out, and the blend gets more floaty and incensey at the edges.  Beautiful, dark but not heavy. 

If one were to pack a picnic for venturing into the shadowy otherworld of the Fae (and one definitely should, because it’s best not to eat any of their tricksy offerings) one might pack a loaf of the humble but gorgeously tasty Icelandic rúgbrauð, a dense, dark rye bread made with golden syrup and soured milk and baked or steamed low and slow. It’s delicious with briny salmon or smoky lamb or even just a dollop of cold, creamy butter, but even–especially!– if you don’t dress it up with a single thing, it still smells absolutely amazing. Rich and hearty and sweet, and really, it kinda smells like Christmas, and you don’t even need to visit fairyland, because this is already some really good magic.  Cancel your plans (yay for canceled plans!) and make some bread instead. Or don’t do any of that, maybe you agreed to all that stuff, but now the vibe is off, and you just want to be a potato for the evening. You can conjure both the fairy ring and the bread by liberally smearing yourself with Shadowed Veil. Protip: slather and suit up in your coziest fleece onesie, skellington or otherwise. Future you five months from now will thank you.

2022 version

Pomegranate, incense, pumpkin, and a whiff of leather. Autumn. Medium throw and wear length.