Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Empty House

I am in love! I totally lucked out with this blind bottle. With all those notes, you'd expect a dark, maybe sinister blend. In no way was I expecting something this kind and approachable! The Empty House is all sweet woods and welcoming warmth. In the bottle, the blackened pumpkin reads like maple to my nose, but once on the skin, it's a rich, softly caramelized pumpkin, with the most beautiful woodsmoke thread I've ever smelled in a BPAL blend. I didn't even know smoke could be this delicate. It must be magic, surely!

Everything in here just plays so nicely. The oud is the creamy, cozy kind. You may even be reminded of 2018's standout, Pumpkin Musk and Black Oud, with how darkly romantic of a combo it makes with the redolent pumpkin. I don't specifically pick out mahogany or pine, just an elegance to the woods that balances out the sweetness of the pumpkin. There is no pumpkin spice whatsoever. If you're a fan of Arcana's Last Judgment or maybe even BPAL's Magician's Wand, this is a fall twist on those sweet resins, and I adore it. 

On my skin, BPal’s mahogany has consistently been a warmer sweeter wood note. I found this to be no exception here. 

bottle sniff: rich and dark syrup. Hmmmm...

skin test: on skin this was very similar to bottle sniff, except the wood smoke rounded out the syrupy quality I smelled on bottle sniff to become a dark, cozy, warm blend. It may be The Empty House, but, it felt like The Welcoming House, A home that’s been waiting to be housed by a family, with a cozy and inviting fireplace roaring and gleaming polished woods beckoning you to stay. I suppose that in itself can be creepy, as the house appears to upon its own have life. 

I also didn’t detect spice in this blend (nor was it indolic), although dry down did draw out a lighter spice. No cinnamon amping here. The blackened pumpkin smelled more like the fruity variety of patchouli that I like, and the pine pitch is subtle and warm, like pine logs on a fire, not like Christmas tree. For me though the Star is the mahogany which is a note I love and look for in Bpal blends, I agree it has that warm woody quality of The Magicians Wand, however, it isn’t chewy like that blend. 

I took a chance on a bottle of this hoping it would be a nice dark spooky scent, or maybe that smoky roasting pumpkin smell you get when all the jack-o-lanterns are lit on Halloween night. Unfortunately all I get from it is single note pumpkin spice candle, ultra sweet and cloying. The wood and pine pitch starts to come through and cut the sweetness a bit after a few minutes, but it’s not enough to get me through that first whiff. If you are really into sweet autumnal scents you may really like this, but it’s not really my jam, so I’ll be passing this one on.

The Empty House starts off strong. Buttery pumpkin with a pine pitch wrapper. I agree with a candle comparison, a good one for scenting the home like a cozy holiday.

Luckily, the longer the scent dries down, the smoother. Resinous woods snake their way around my wrists and a tendril of smoke beckons my nose to come closer. A hint of the gourmand lingers to watch the sultry show. The Empty House sure knows how to draw a crowd.

I feared this was too strong and too holiday for me, yet after the first half hour the magic began. The oud really amps the sensual feel. The woodsmoke is indeed gentle, only a transparent gauze. 

Comes on strong vanilla pumpkin. There's some wood underneath that comes out as the vanilla dies down a little. This is a weird scent, strength wise. sometimes it almost disappears.

A cup of pumpkin latte sitting sad and alone in an empty, smoky house.

Edit: Maybe mine needed to sit? There might be a bit of old house in the background (ancient but impeccably maintained) but I mostly get pumpkin latte: all soft vanilla pudding and pumpkin. I don't know why I called this one sad. This is one of the coziest scents I've ever tried.

Edited by patina

Wet: A beautiful buttery pumpkin, but without the autumnal spices.

Drydown: Pumpkin with a swirl of smoke

Dry: Just a soft, buttery pumpkin for me. It's lovely and understated.