Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Niflheim

The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom.

ohh am I happy that i got 10ml bottle from eBay just because of the description even the reviews were less than enthusiastic. I am simply in love!

in bottle: aquatic, herbal and crisp

wet: more flowery and getting darker - quiet and bit sad landscape where white flowers have frozen in the icy mist

dry: flowers are still there but getting more comforting than sad and herbal notes are getting back and merge with flowers into dark green background and instead of marshland this is morphing into more oceanic and regal landscape like fjords of Norway, which naturally fit the name and description perfectly. This is subtle and cool and hauntingly beautiful and reminds me of home far far away in the cold mists of North

Cold, wet plants. smells like maybe the water plant section of a garden. definitely has a chilly vibe to it...similar to a snow note. maybe slightly like a bathroom cleaner, but not too much. It's a pleasant atmosphere scent but not for a perfume oil for me.

:::NIFLHEIM:::

Hoorah for the Viking equivalent of Hell! Nifleheim sounds very intriguing; especially when one considers that no specific notes have been included.

From the Imp: Niflheim does smell like damp blossoms... Blossoms with lepidopterically proportioned petals. Petals which are near translucent from having a super-saturated root system. This smells similar to first impressions of the Lab's "Danube". Luminously aquatic. Clean.

Nifleheim, at this stage, gives the impression of being spectrally indigo or Robin's egg...

On the Skin: Niflheim morphs like crazy with this particular body-chemistry... Who turned on the lights?

Niflheim went from being storm-tossed shadow to blazing super-dome lamps...

It smells as though someone tried to make a salad from Celery and Blueberries and the spritzed the whole shebang with AquaNet...

As a room fragrance, Niflheim is a perfect 10. Cannot personally recommend as something to wear unless it's with the hopes of having gone amiss.

Swappable.

Sniffed: A chill, dry-dusty scent touched with pale flowers.

On skin: The first thing I smell is the sweetness from white flowers. Flowers that would be high and bright if they weren't anchored and obscured by an unusual note that I now recognize as the Lab's stone note. Here, it is dark, dusty, inorganic stone and cold, wet, foggy air. I have been out in heavy fog before, and have noticed that fog has a distinct smell -- Niflheim does smell a bit like cold fog! This deepens and warms over time, and finally becomes a fine blend of profound, shadowy stone, lightened by mist-blurred pale flowers. Colour impression is a blurry mix of blue-black stone and pink-tinged grey-white.

Verdict: I really like Niflheim! How unique, how beautiful and evocative! the Lab description describes it to a tee. I haven't smelled anything else quite like it, and while I'm quite sad that it's been discontinued, that means I will treasure my imp ever the more.

Pickle water?

Imp: VERY aquatic. Like.. salty pickle water with a dash of cedar.

Wet: Soft florals appear. Hyacinth or lotus I would guess (as they are tart water flowers).

Dry: So, this could by a hyacinth, vetiver and cedar scent. There are other notes that my nose cannot single out however. Maybe something sweet like a berry note? Juniper perhaps? It's a very tart, murky, watery scent that has some sweet and fresh qualities. Very unisex. I am not a fan of aquatic scents but like this somehow.

Imp: I have no idea what to make of this. It smells damp, but not cold, and more like greeny weeds than blossoms to me.

Wet: Getting the slight cold now, but it doesn't stay long. It has an almost Deep Heat feeling in my nose, and smells a lot like it covered in moss. I'm guessing it's a wood giving that effect.

Dry: Still getting some nose tickling, but most of it is gone. Not sure what to make of this. It's not particularly cold, in fact it smells more warm, but it is a bit misty, definitely wet and woody. Sort of piney.

I think I need more experience in identifying these sorts of notes. It's not unpleasant, but it's not something I'd seek out to wear. I'd likely make a nice room scent or to put in a locket.

I get a woody dirty spicey with a hint of carnation; a bit of a powdery sandalwood with a slight ozone/rain feel.

I enjoy this scent, its a good wintery smell.

Edited by VictoryXo

Preconceived notions: I looked up the notes as the scent developed, and I expected more florals but these were my impressions. I have no notes to guide me, so any reference to such is an educated guess at best! My imp was a gift and is of indeterminate age, so fresh imps may vary! I am guessing that my imp is quite aged, based on the condition of the label and the mellowness of the notes compared to other reviews.

In the imp: Wood chips in aqueous seawater. Perhaps? cedar (but not cedar hamster cage of doom), perhaps cypress instead given the mellowness of the wood? I like the wet phase.

Wet: Green leaves, fig leaf? (that isn't quite it, but my nose interpreted the flora as fig leaf!). I sense watery leaves and that wood note, which I am solidifying my guess as cypress. I perceive no floral at this juncture, no ice/Lab snow notes, perhaps a hint of salt...I rather liked this phase and wish it did not dry so quickly. It was fleeting.

Drying: Subdued, waterlogged floral notes emerge, lilies are my best guess, but narcissus could be right, not jasmine, not rose, not violet, not hyacinth or lilacs. I confound fig and carnation sometimes (funny thing, olfaction) so it could be carnation, but the floral notes are so faint and unfamiliar I cannot identify them and it is as if they are being watered down and perceived through mist and fog...

Drier: Scent maintains a slightly aqueous quality (but is different from other clean aquatics, there is no hint of aftershave here) and has perhaps the barest hint of ozone. I can sense a foggy and murky gloom feeling, and vetiver is definitely present, perhaps ambergris accounts for the slightly salty aqueous base? It becomes smokier, saltier and less floral as it dries. It sort of vacillates between clean aquatic (aged white musk?) and foggy and smoky vetiver.

Final synopsis: Niflheim definitely captures the theme of gloom and fog with a hint of waterlogged flowers and leaves. My experience was an interesting and unique aquatic that was not bracing, devoid of Axe or other aftershave associations (thankfully!), and slightly smokey on dry down. I rather liked it, but I am not sure I would have sprung for a bottle. This would be a wonderful atmospheric scent or a fragrance to wear on misty and rainy days. I am among the few & proud the lovers of vetiver, so I suspect I am in the minority on my enjoyment of this scent. Since it has been discontinued, I likely will not be able to locate a bottle anyway. I will probably frimp this away but it would also be good for layering with florals that need a bit of tempering.

Edited by sprout

In my obsession with Wanderlust, I tracked down an imp of this.

Wet: Dark and murky, indeed! Very sinister. Some kind of "stone" or "rock" note is what I am getting most of - smells like cold minerals. Really interesting! I was expecting more of an aquatic/green sort of deal. It's kind of turning to harsh chemicals, which is none too pleasant.

Dry: This recovers and dries into a sort of tropical, aquatic, floral. It's actually quite nice. There are still some traces of that weird chemical smell, but I think in time those will burn off as well.

I did not like this. I have an imp of unknown age. It comes off quite leathery to me, which is not a scent I enjoy at all. I do get the murky aquatics. It leans masculine in my opinion. I will pass this on to someone else.