Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Bourbon Vanilla & Yellow Carnation

Just received this today - ordered a 5ml completely untested because vanilla and carnation are two of my very favorite notes. It immediately smelled familiar, reminding me of Maiden, and Alice, and (i think, it's been FOREVER) Pink Moon 2007 -- i.e., all the scents that helped me realize how much i love BPAL's carnation note in the first place!

Freshly on it also struck me with memories of Luna Moth - one of my other carnation favorites. they are both sweetly rounded, almost juicy - in Luna Moth i have always attributed that to the Asian pear note, but apparently the carnation has more influence in that regard than i expected! 

will wait to see what the drydown feels like, but so far i'm DEEPLY pleased! 🌼😍

I was intrigued just because I really wanted a happy scent. When Et Lux Fuit came out that was my happy scent - bright and yellow. And this vaguely seemed similar.

The bourbon is notable in the beginning but was completely gone within ten minutes. This is mostly carnation on me but I do get occasionally wafts of vanilla. It's a pleasant scent but is much softer than I was expecting. I was expecting a bright scent, but I'm not sure why. Instead it's lying on a bed of yellow carnations watching the sun lazily in the afternoon sky.

I get both of the notes in this duet. Bourbon vanilla can sometimes refuse to show up on me, but that isn't the case here. It's a soft, spiced vanilla scent, with aspects reminding me of Loved to Death and French Vanilla SN. While there is some spice to this, it isn't the burn-y kind, and it is less spiced than the Lab's red carnation note. It also stays close to the skin.

I think it's nice, but a little too soft for me.

I’m surprised this is “yellow carnation” because it has that super duper carnation spice I know and love. This really reminds me of old-school, before-they-were-cool Lush scents, like when the OG Potion Lotion was available in small quantities. It’s happy nostalgia in that way; simpler times.

I only got myself a 5/8 dram from Ajevie. It's really hard to resist a Carnation scent 😅

It's a really lovely soft scent. Well balanced, I do get both, a slightly creamy vanilla, which isn't gourmand, and a heady carnation. I only received my mini like a week ago, so far the carnation becomes more beautiful the longer it's on my skin. I like it dried down better than wet.

love this. It's pretty, it's well balanced, and it's beautiful on. I was terrified we were going dryer sheet for a hot second, but it mellowed out fast and was a lovely bright floral vanilla with a spice of carnation and the mellow vanilla. 

Definitely a keeper! 

The yellow carnation smells different than the red carnation that I'm used to. It goes on spicy with a musky vibe is what I'm thinking is the difference.  Not getting any BV at this point, but I really like this blend.  It's bright and fresh, and I'll probably reach for this imp more in the summer.

eta:  YES, it does remind me of Potion Lotion as Leopard mentioned above.

Edited by milo

This is sweet, clovey carnation.  It's like a stronger Ganymede's Junk on me and reminiscent of my favorite foot lotion ever - Lush's Pied de Pepper. 

I remembered I had this scent in my to try pile and immediately wanted it on my skin lol

The carnation is gorgeous and also is really realistic, they are my favourite flower and I love Alice (gives me Slight Alice vibes) So I was pleased to get a decant! There isn’t much creaminess and I only get a small whiff of bourbon. Overall I think I’ll be hunting down a FS!

Wet: Spicy carnation and a touch of vanilla! I'm not getting any of the bourbon at all.

Dry: The carnation smells slightly spicier than the wet stage, and I'm still not getting the "bourbon" part of the "bourbon vanilla". Otherwise, this remains very similar to the wet stage. 

I like this, and if you're a fan of carnation, I think you'd really enjoy this.

When I was a little girl, my neighbors down the street gave me a "grown up" bottle of carnation perfume. I loved, loved, loved that perfume and wore it until I used up the small bottle, then kept the bottle until I could no longer smell a trace of the perfume inside it. I was truly hoping to evoke that with this, and to a small extent it did. It is a lovely, spicy carnation. I feel like the vanilla tamed it too much too quickly, and sadly, my skin eats this alive. It never lasts longer than two hours on me and has no throw whatsoever.

This is a lovely creamy, softly sweet blend with the vanilla melding perfectly with the bright warmth of the yellow carnation. There is a slight feel of spice to the carnation, but it isn’t really spicy at all. Definitely a happy, sunshiney one. 

just a note regarding reviews that mention a bourbon smell - the “bourbon” in the name “bourbon vanilla” is not anything to do with the alcohol “bourbon” - there is no actual bourbon in BV, the name is from where it was grown in the 1800s 😊