Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

You Get What Anybody Gets-You Get a Lifetime

An unimaginably ancient scent, older than time. The gentle, fluttering embrace of oblivion:

myrrh and blackened champaca blossom, attar of oudh, black amber, Casmir wood, and dried fig.

Something old and known that lingers with us all. We try to deny it. Try to shy away from it until it comes. Yet the meeting is comforting and sweet. A needed release that comes with an embracive smile. 

Old and ancient woods waft into the foreground. Seems nearly primal and always present in a way. Like something we cannot remove ourselves from. Layered with this is an honored and sacred scent of myrrh and  black amber that gives a sense of reverence. The cumulation is something sincere and beautiful in a way that we all need. 

Wearing this scent is a potent and lasting fragrance. It holds a throw that is medium to long and give a pleasant wafting for any that are nearby. 

When it is first applied to the skin, it is somewhat jarring and surprising in a way; 40-60 minutes after the dry down, it takes on a sweeter and more subtly pleasant appeal. I will admit that at first I was not certain I would want to wear this fragrance often, yet after a weekend of wear I can confidently say: this scent is most definitely something I needed in my lifetime.

Since this arrived I've been struggling to pick anything else to wear at all. It's old and dusty and endless and burrows right into my soul. When I try to separate the notes I end up with tears in my eyes because it is so damn beautiful. That doesn't help you know what it smells like  but if you get some and don't like it, sell it to me!

In literally every other blend I've ever tried it in, myrrh overpowers everything else and turns to wet, fetid cardboard on my skin, no matter how lovely the other notes are. So when I saw myrrh was on the menu for this scent, I put it out of my mind. But then I visited my dear friend ReallyZeb and we had us a little meet-and-sniff (like we do) and she allowed me the great pleasure of sniffing (and yes, testing) this scent. 

It. Is. Beautiful. 

When the chance came round again for me to grab a bottle, I did with great haste, because I literally had not stopped thinking about it since I'd sniffed Zeb's bottle lo those many months ago. Normally I can pick out individual notes, but this scent is that rare thing, so well-blended that it simply is its own substance, not an amalgam of its components, only and forever itself.

I know it would be more hopeful to say "oh yes the _____ note is very strong and it mixes well with _____" but this is just not one of those times. 

This is something else entirely- get some and you will see. ❤️ 

The moment I put this on I was completely blown away. It’s like nothing I’ve tried before in my years of sampling BPAL. 

It is old, and gentle (this oudh is soft and lovely and nothing like how it normally is to my nose), a little dusty but entirely beautiful.

Like Zeb and VC have mentioned it’s difficult to separate individual notes or even describe this one accurately.

I texted my bestie who got me into BPAL in 2009 and told her she had, HAD, to buy this. 

So so very happy to have a bottle to enjoy and I see myself hoarding it, because I’d be heart broken if it was discontinued unexpectedly.

I’m all rambles now, but please just try it. It’s not just a perfume but an experience. 

Champa and oud are the strongest notes in this.  Which for me means this smells like soapy poo. 

You Get What Anybody Gets is a tragedy on me. It’s like the combo of a swimming pool and toilet cleaner :sick: I can’t even tell what notes are going so awful on me, but it lasts for at least an hour before chills out into a powdery champaca....

I wish my experience was like some of the previous reviewers, because it sounds amazing with their skin chem.

Dreams Shape the World, on the other hand, was a hit for me. They both had beautiful bottle art, and I’m thankful that I’ll be able to enjoy one. 
This decant will have to find a new home! 

I really want to love this scent - all of the notes, when written out, are PERFECT! Unfortunately, for me, the fig reacts to the other notes & goes for full-on sweaty, loud ass. It is disconcerting. 

It improves upon dry down, but mercy, those first moments are troubling. 

I unfortunately share the experience of the last three reviewers (and chuckled as I read them). I ordered a decant of this before I knew that oudh and I do not see eye to eye. Wet it smells, in an unnervingly accurate way, like a public restroom on me -- specifically, very much like the restrooms in Penn Station, with all its wafting odors of cleaners and unmentionable other things. For a split second it made me miss my old commute 😂

When it dries it does get much better: more a woodsy incense. But I just can't get through the oudh stage, unfortunately; if you can, your mileage may vary!

Edited by rhonorv

Well, I'll agree that when wet, it is an awful bathroom cleaner type of smell. Like a public bathroom that smells like it was cleaned but the funk is *just* barely hiding under the industrial strength cleaner or something. I don't get a poop smell, thankfully, but the wet stage is not fun. And that wet stage lasts for about an hour. But when it finally settles on the skin, it becomes this beautiful wood smell, but not a hint of pine or cedar or oak or mahogany. This is a golden wood smell, like the essence of sun and ancient tree. It's not sweet but it's not masculine in a DUDE way, either. I just smell beautiful, but the throw is pretty low, I have to get my nose right against my arm to smell it.. but when I do, I love it. My 5 year old loved the drydown as well. 

I do not get fig, though maybe it was in the bathroom cleaner mix, but I'm fine with that. I don't get champaca either. All good things. So, oudh.. Despite the scary wet stage, I might need a bottle of this one after all. 

ETA: I apparently don't know what champaca smells like but I do like it in recent blends, so it may be prominent here after all. 

Edited by Seajewel

I share the previous posters' sentiments -- the wet stage is a little jarring and impolite. Have you ever walked under a ginkgo tree and stepped on the leaves and berries? Likened to "vegetal vomit" and other putrid bodily emissions, this is what I smell for the first hour or two of this perfume. Stank does not deter me (I adore patchouli and Oudh), and after soldiering on, the reward is a soft, powdery cloud of nag champa. I don't get fig, amber, or myrrh, though this may be because the oil is so well blended. Medium throw and long wear length. I will thoroughly enjoy my decant!

This is an incredible scent!

On wet, the indolic oudh is most prominent, but the amount of oil I applied dried down in about 20 minutes.

As it dries, the blackened champaca and myrrh bloom into a cloud of smoky, dusty incense, which has more throw than the oudh note, although the oudh remains pungent when smelling closer to the skin for a time.

Once it dries completely, a faintly sweet, resinous wood remains in the soft, scented dust, but that description doesn't seem to do it justice. It smells strange, and comforting, and wonderful.

Maybe a silly analogy, but the experience is not unlike what is often depicted in movies, when someone breaks a seal in a tomb. At first there is an ominous moment when you feel the weight of death and time - but then the ancient spirit released turns out to be a benevolent guide instead of a monster.