Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Artificier

Artificer smells like someone works with metal and lubricant, and just smells like a metallurgist. You know, someone that can fix your card, craft your sword, and also throw in that nice Victorian scrollwork while you're thinking about it. It's a nice gender neutral metallic smell. Good throw and wear length.

This is really really nice. Metal scents have generally not been my thing, but this metal isnt too cold or screechy on my skin. I think there's a good dose of blue musk, and just a hint of lubricant. 

This is not precisely peppermint but it's something mint-adjacent. I do get the lab's metal note and it turns this into a cologne. This reminds me of Odic Force, except this scent is blue and white. I don't get soap from this one like I do from many ozone scents.

This pairs well with gnome.

Artificier (my imp has an extra i) definitely smells like it would be right at home in the Steamworks collection, somewhere between Galvanic Goggles and Robotic Scarab.  It's bright, unisex, not specifically metallic on me.  There is probably some ozone in here.  I like it.  No throw, which is typical for my skin, and wear length is only average or a little less on me.  

"Psionicist, but make it steampunk." Or, possibly, "Steampunk, but make it blue glass instead of opaque brass." Or maybe "Perfume, but not for humans; this is blended for and by sentient robots who want to smell like pretty metals and gears."

This has a steampunk vibe, but in a completely new olfactory colorway. When wet I get a clear viscous motor oil, a glassine metal musk, ozone, and blue light. (This artificer makes elegant ballroom jewelry that hides clockwork spy instruments or tiny mechanical poison dart throwers.) It has a light but steady throw and doesn't seem to morph, though the oil loses its chemical edge and becomes more of a watery dew. It continues to smell blue and metallic, but never sharp or cold. 

Edited by bheansidhe

Wet, this has a great machine oil note and general steampunk vibe. As it dries, though, the blue musk takes over on my skin and drowns out the other notes, leaving me with a vaguely sawdusty clean scent. Darn skin chemistry. 

I really love how many of the new RPG scents represent the classes so well. The minute you open the vial, it's steampunk genius, sparks, gears, and a fine metal oil. It excited the brain!

Wet I get exactly what I hoped for from this scent. I smell like a busy gnome in the middle of a metallurgy project with a hint of aquatic in the background.

On the dry down this is a bit more feminine on me than unisex. It's softer than I expected and still lovely. The oil tames down but never too much. This lasts for several hours with a low throw. I want to layer this with Gnome and maybe Good. I think they'd play really nicely together.

Artificier features a light eucalyptus note, perhaps eucalyptus leaf or blossom (which has been in a few Lab blends relatively recently), as well as some cologne-y metallic component. The eucalyptus starts off stronger, but ends up calming down over time without fading, while the metallic note gains strength over time, smelling sharp but not intolerably so. A glassy note emerges later in wear, which I believe is a musk.

This went better on me than I had anticipated. Although I am unlikely to reach for something predominantly metallic, I will probably hang on to my imp for trying out various RPG layering combos. :) 

Hmm, this smells like aftershave with eucalyptus on me. Not bad but not what I was expecting. I was hoping to at least detect the oil note because I think I would love it. But the aftershavey scent is just too strong and it's hard to not detect any other notes than the onces I've already listed.

I may try this out with other RPG scents to see if I like it better that way. On it's own, I can't see myself ever reaching for it since I prefer sweet scents. I will say, one good thing about this one is that you don't need to apply much because the scent is so strong. 

This should fade down and be more pleasant, but at least I don't completely hate it. Definitely no bottle for me, that's for sure. I'll keep this frimp around for further testing. But hey, if you enjoy cologne scents, this could very well be right up your alley! 

In the imp: Surprisingly cologne-like. Fresh out of the package, I noted down a lot more metallic and machine oil notes, but now that's it's been settling for a few days, it's much fresher and cologne-y. Is this the "blue flickers of arcane power?"

Wet: Fresh, light, and cool - I initially thought lily of the valley, but I see others saying eucalyptus, which I could also see. Something light green and almost aquatic, anyway. It's oddly reminiscent of Sea of Glass.

Dry: A light, vaguely metallic cologne, with the metallic/machine oil note growing stronger over time, but never overpowering the cologne. It does give the cologne a very interesting dimension - a sort of stability or grounded-ness (heh, maybe to counteract the "sparking wires"). I never did pick up on the eucalyptus notes that other reviewers have noticed, though.

In Artificier I smell the metallic part as a bit oceanic/ozonic with the freshness (on the nose) of eucalyptus but more grassy in scent. The oil is definitely there. And the spark wires lend a little smoke to the mix. 

What this one really reminds me of is an amazing grounded version of Cool Water. 

Artificier is fairly unisex, I prefer more comfy perfumes myself so going to try this on my husband tonight! Heheh.. 

Wet: Clean and cool. A fresh, blue-green sort of scent.

Drydown/Dry: A cool, semi-sweet aquatic. I get a touch of minerals/metallics mixed in too. Ozoney, yet grounded, yet glossy. It reminds me of liquid soap, both in scent and in the texture it evokes.

8.5 out of 10 bones

Bottle: metallic ozone

Wet: strong, green ozone with metal coming through as it dries

Dry: on dry down it evolves into a distinctly masculine cologne-y deodorant smell that's a bit hard to pick apart. If I were to smell this in the wild, I'd assume it was one of those Old Spice deodorant sprays I was smelling. I'd say this is more aquatic ozone-y than metallic though, or maybe the metal is just going into the background on my skin.

I received this in a group of frimps with my Haute Macabre order (which was so nice💕) and it's my very first foray into the Lab's metallic scents. While it smells nice, the fact that my brain reads it as an Old Spice deodorant smell is not ideal to me, and even without that association, this is distinctly not my style. But I appreciate that I got a chance to try it. 

Someone tell me why this is reading as cucumber-in-a-mechanic-shop to me? It must be whatever other people are noting as the aquatic element of it going weird on my skin. It's just fresh, crunchy cukes and a little bit of of greased up metal. Super weird.

This smells like a clean aftershave to me, I don’t think my nose is good enough to pick out any subtle details. Aquatic/clean, maybe a bit bathroom cleaner spray in my opinion… but not necessarily in a bad way