Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

Go back to Olympia301's review. Its exactly mine. Put the lime in the coconut, indeed! I thought about that as soon as I smelled this.

its not tropical, but it is a hint of coconut in lime, and it smells enough like a pina colada to make me think about how tasty one would be.

Doesn't remind me, terribly, of the card, but it is refreshing. And I usually detest the scent of coconut unless it is in an actual food item.

This morning, I put The Star on. It's been rolling around in my to-try box for months because I sniffed it and it seemed pretty uninspiring in the imp. After a minute on my wrists, it exploded--ZING! ZOWIE! ZAPPO! I can't wait for The Star to dry down because I think it's going on the bottle list. Lime and coconut without being suntan lotion--how can it be?! :P

In Bottle: Sweet and coconutty

On Skin: Citrus and coconut. This smells good enough to eat. It smells like and orangey lemon-lime flavored coconut cookie! Or maybe a fruity Pina-Colada! There is a nice green minty note in this as well that is quite invigorating. So bright and sweet! Wow! I would love to know the meaning behind this scent, I don’t remember much about Tartot… This scent is so comforting and inspiring at the same time! It’s like a beautiful scent hug that relaxes me, but then then gives me a push to get off my bum and do something. This is a great scent for the spring or summer that will seem to quench your scent thirst. I need a bottle for sure. And I love that so many of us thought of the Lime in the coke-you-nut sillyness. :P

In the bottle: Bitter orange, strong lime, and a hint of something else.

First on: This totally reminds me of Leo! Yay, something I can wear if I run out of Leo!IT's mostly lime, but with a slight hint of sweet or floral underneath it.

Drydown: This has now gone almost all lime. And a bit of coconut. It's still enough like Leo to wear if you love the discontinued zodiac blend, but it's not identical. Very very citrusy.

Overall: I had expected something a little....more..... from the Star. I don't know why, I guess I just expected a scent that would capture everything you could want. It's miraculously 2 dimentional for that, although I do really like the scent.

This smell is bright and tropical, a little too much so for me tastes.

The coconut takes over, both in the bottle and on my skin. I smell like a walking pina colada. The citrus comes out some as it dries, but not enough to make up for the coconut.

The Star

The Star reminds me of Spooky, it's a creamy scent of coconut, vanilla and tropical fruits but it has a certain coolness to it, a fresh hint of citrus or herbs.

I really enjoyed The Star. On me, there was a fresh burst of sweet creamy lime, with a hint of coconut beneath, and that yummy foody scent that I love so much in Spooky. While it shares that base vanilla-y yum scent with Spooky, I don't find it to be that much *like* Spooky; the coconut and strong lime definitely make it different.

I will definitely be getting a bottle of this! Delicious. The coconut isn't suntan-lotiony (actually I love all BPAL's coconut I've smelled that I can think of, very wearable). The lime is sweet and effervescent. The base note is just meltingly good. Unique too.

5 out of 5.

This was all sweet coconut with just a hint of lime occasionally, and overall simply beautiful, soft, and tropical. Definitely improved my mood and outlook today.

The Star. :D

Omy do I love this.

In the imp: coconut, lime and something else. Something warm. Overall a lovely twangy scent.

Wet on skin: LIME! with just a touch of the nut! :P

Drydown: it starts to morph into this lovely warm yet white scent...lovely...the coconut takes over and the lime disappears into a bliss of cream coconut.

Overall it lasts quite well on me and stays put in that warm bliss of coconut and vanilla (I guess it's vanilla). Very nice, very summery and white.

Lovely!

Very tropical and sunny. Sweet coconut and fruity lime, I can just see myself sitting on this white beach, feet in the deep blue water of the sea. Now bring me a pina colada to make this even better. A great uplifting scent, perfect for summer.

that's funny - now that i read it, i can totally put my finger on it. i do get a little spooky from my star. it's that really fresh mint kind of smell. i love it, though some days it's a little much.

i wish i got the more tropical vibe. i'm desperately searching lately for something warm and tropical. but the lime in this is definitely more refreshing on me than tropical.

bpal has definitely changed my idea of mint - i was worried it would be like peppermint or something, but it so clean and refreshing.

not like i need more bpal note addictions.

Edited by biggerkrissy

In the imp: Yum, tropical drink.

Wet on skin: Noticed mint first, then coconut, then orange/pineapple. Really, at this stage, mint was predominant.

Dry on skin: Mint's faded some. Coconut/orange/pineapple still going strong, only sweeter now with the addition reminiscent of lemon drops. Around 30 minutes on, loses some of the sweetness and gains bitterness with the addition of lime. Too bitter to take a big whiff of my arm. Around the hour mark, the bitterness dies away and vanilla kicks in. Ends up with a vanilla/coconut base with lighter hints of citrus (orange/lemon/lime). Mint occasionally reasserts itself.

Overall: 9/10. Will definitely agree with the comparisons with Spooky - that was one of my first thoughts when I put it on. Also agree with the idea of the aura of this scent. Could live without that half hour of bitterness, but oh well. Very tempted to try layering this one with a vanilla or coconut based body wash and lotion - might add the sweetness necessary to carry me through the bitter time without drowning out the notes I love. Makes me want to grab some fruit, a can of coconut milk, and a blender. :P

Sticky sweet in the bottle, there's a minty backdrop with anise/licorice and almonds layered on top. Reminds me strongly of homemade candies or molasses. Once on, the wet scent is nuts and a touch of licorice. Very light and cool, I'm not sure this scent enbodies "The Star" of my tarot deck, but it's open and closed almost at once; like a top with notches in it, continuously spinning. The effect is very much like that, open-close-open-close. The minty scent comes to the top as it warms, keeping this ethereal and cool despite the warmth of the other scents in this blend. It's at once inviting and disinterested. As it wears out, the scent completely changes! After a few hours, all there is left is sun-warmed milk chocolate. CHOCOLATE! From nuts to chocolate?! Insane as it sounds, it's delightful and slightly badass smelling. It tells you to your face that it's chocolate now and get over it. Very cute.

In the imp: Very sharp, almost eyewatering coconut and lime.

On me: The lime is at the forefront here, barely mellowed out by the coconut. It begins to become more creamy as time wears on while still managing to remain bright and clear. An interesting scent of which I think I need more.

First impressions: A wash of lime and mint, and something else, maybe bergamot? Then the coconut comes through. The mint fades almost immediately.

Of the five or so imps I've tried so far, this is the only one I've liked well enough to apply more and wear it out of the house. :P It doesn't have much of a throw, but I can put my wrist to my nose for a sniff and it perks me up.

I like this. I'm not sure if I like it enough to get a bottle, but I'll definitely use my imp.

This smells like flatlylike coconut lemongrass. No like.

I had a coconut lemongrass FO from sweetcakes that I made soap with and I didn't like that either. This smells very similar to that, a sweet coconut with a sweet lemongrass scent.

This is a gorgeous summer scent. At first I smell fresh mint, then coconut and lemongrass, seamlessly blended. Very light and refreshing, with a hint of creamy vanilla to soften it. I must order a big bottle ASAP.

:P :D :D

This stayed pretty much the same on my skin as in the bottle only the coconut was even stronger :P . The coconut really amped and I got no hint of the lime other people mentioned :D . I really wanted to smell lime.

It does have a tropical feel and reminds me of sun tan lotion only a whole lot better smelling and sweeter. If anyone has tried the alternative baking companies coconut macaroon cookies, this was exactly that smell.

Glad I tried this and will probably keep the decant around but no big bottle.

Sweet coconut with a hint of citrus - like a macaroon with a lemon candy on the side. very pale notes..I almost get almond, but it might just be the coconut. (you put the lime in the coconut...) The lemon sours affect is surpassing the macaroon. I like both lemon sours and macaroons, but not together, and not on my arm.

whoa this is a really interesting scent! i smell limes and something else from the imp, but on my skin it turns to citrusy-tea scent with vanilla/cake. i love this one, it's one of the more foody scents that works on me.

I purchased this bottle to help me connect with the power of The Star, specifically tranquility.

In the bottle: carambola! It took me awhile to remember the name of this fruit.

Wet: carambola. At this point I remind myself that I didn't buy this to wear as perfume, but more for use during meditation.

Dry: lovely! This morphed in to a beautiful smoky vanilla. This is the vanilla scent that I've been looking for!

Imp: A very fresh citrusy sweet lemon. I get a hint of something like coconut as well.

On my skin: This is where a perfectly nice perfume when straight down hill. The first few seconds were fine, still rather sweet lemony. After a minute it began to smell some like badly cooked meat!

Dry: My skin does NOT like something in the blend and it's the first to make me fight to wash it off. I was really surprised as I've never really hated something before. Hate is a strong word, but this perfume and my skin do not agree. I can't get the image of off-meat and way too overripe fruit. :P

It's very nice in the imp though!!

Jenn

in the imp:

Oh my. It has a harsh, almost ammonia-like smell. I can pick out lime and mint, I think, but overall it just smells sharp.

wet:

Okay, better. Still really sharp, but now I definitely smell lime, and also some deep tropical fruit which I assume is coconut, although I can't tell yet!

dry:

Yep, definitely coconut. Oh so gorgeous. It's rare that I try a BPAL oil that changes so much from sniffing in the imp to smelling it on my skin. This might be the winner for biggest icky-to-lovely morpher on me. It becomes a luscious coconut with a bright nose-tingling lime note in it. There may be mint in there somewhere too, although that note fades quickly on me. This is a very relaxing, calming, happy and pretty blend. Definitely reminds me of the beach.

The Star - I made the mistake of testing The Star for the first time right before I was going to bed, having not taken into consideration the reviews I'd read on it. It is not an evening blend, despite the name. It is definitely a pick-me-up morning blend that is full of light, dazzling lemon/lime/verbena fragrance, and the tiniest hint of coconut. There is also the very distinct head-clearing scent of eucalyptus (or something else menthol-y), but I read the reviews and no one else mentions this. I should also mention that it didn't turn on my skin. I wore it in a scent locket, and the scent stayed as true on my skin as it did in the locket, although it didn't last very long on my skin. The scent has a lot of throw and a little goes a long way. It is a very clean and true citrus scent (no lemon wood polish scent here). I am not sure that I like it enough to buy a bottle since I would use it as a mood-lifting pick-me-up blend and currently, I am using Moxie for that, but who knows, when I run out of Moxie, I may very well replace it for a while with The Star – although, don’t get me wrong, they're very different from one another.