Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Star

This was nice. The lime was strong and a touch bitter like true lime not key lime so I was happy with that. The coconut came through underneath the lime with a creaminess that was wonderful. This lasted about 6 hours on me and stayed pretty true. I think this would be very nice layered over a single note vanilla as well if you are a vanilla lover. Nice summer scent for a hot day.

Kimberly

The Star is my favorite of all the Tarot scents I have tried so far. Initially, I got a strong hit of mint, really a blast, and I thought it might be too much. But the mint faded to allow the lime and coconut to emerge. The mint never went away completely, it just added a tiny bit of coolness to the other scents as it blended right in. This is a very bright yet creamy scent, just divine. It felt very cool on my skin so it's a perfect summer scent but I think it would also be cheering in the winter. I passed it along to a friend whom I thought would love it but I hope to get another imp of it again someday :P

I thought, "Coconut? Lime? It must be tropical," which is why I was slightly confused when I tried this on. The coconut and lime are apparent, but it's not a juicy, sparkling sort of smell. It's hard to describe. It's sort of...flat, I guess. It doesn't seem much like fruit, which are usually bright sort of smells. Mint might be in there and it might be what's rounding out the scent into the non-fruit like smell.

In bottle: Coconut and something else almost menthol-y. I haven't a clue what it is.

On me: Lemony-lime coconut. As it dries the coconut grows more muted and fades to the background, and several bright tropical fruits dance to the foreground. It definitely reminds me of pina coladas. Initially I didn't plan to keep this fragrance, but now I can't imagine getting rid of it. Amazing how an hour changes to the scent!

In the Star I'm getting lime-mint-coconut-almond. More astringent than food-y.

Very high and white, like rarefied air.

I had a dream after trying this one, in which I could walk on air, maybe two or three metres off the ground. Indoors I could cling to the ceilings like a helium balloon.

I had a young, smarmy stalker guy following me; he would try to grab my heel and pull me back to earth, as if he were doing me some kind of favour. I managed to lose him, and met his father, who in the dream had known me for years, and always liked me.

"Do you still fly?" he asked. "Yes", I said.

"What's it like?" (wistfully).

I picked him up by the waist (he was light as glass), and spun in a circle. "Flying is like this," I said.

It was quite touching, the feeling lingered for several hours.

Mmmmmmm, I looooooove The Star!

In the vial, this is very much a pina colada/lime-frosted macaroons scent. I get a little bit of coconut, a little bit of mint, a touch of lemon verbena, a touch of lime, and something white floral hiding in the background -- maybe moonflower or plumeria?

On me, this smells like lime Froot Loops and a touch of minty-fresh coconut that makes my sinuses tingle and beg for more. And the verbena peeks out once in a while to round it out.

It's a brightly white-light-yellow-green scent, and has a cooling effect on my skin. It's very strong and not at all sweet, and I do so love it.

Must have a bottle, like, NOW.

I got this from the lovely allamanda, hopinghopinghoping for the citrus to come through.

I put a bit on my sister the first day I got it, as I was already scented to the gills. It was a sweet, sweet lemon drop.

Just out of the bottle, wet on my skin, I got a burst of big, juicy citrus-sweetness that made me want to bite down on a messy, wet pear.

And then it turned to coconut, coconut, coconut.

I don't necessarily dislike coconut; at first I thought it might have been vanilla before realizing what it was. This is a nice coconut, not a cheap, acrid, artificial coconut.

But it's still coconut. I'm tempted to find out if Boy likes it before I consign it to swaps, though.

Mmmm. In the bottle, I get a strong coconut scent that picks up a hint of mint when wet on this skin. As the drydown begins, the mint fades, and the lime starts kicking in. They overlap briefly before the mint goes away altogether. Then the lime and coconut and something else mingle into a wonderful, creamy baked-goodness type of scent. I feel like key lime pie or a lemon frosted cookie. This is very much what I associate with vanilla in a fragrance, but I've tried enough of the Lab's vanilla blends to realize that there is little (if any at all) of that in this. The Star does not really put me in mind of the Tarot card, but it is a lovely, yummy scent.

this review is long overdue!

first sniff, this is completely mint and something citrus, which is obviously the lime. if i keep smelling it, i notice the coconut, and it provides a smooth, nutty base for the mint and lime. i noticed immediately that it was very potent and concentrated; if i sniff too hard, my nose starts burning.

for the first hour on my skin, the smell is the same from the bottle. it's odd on my skin, like it wasn't made to be worn out of the house. the mint makes this extremely cooling on my skin, so i know i'll want to keep this around for the summer. after a while, though, the mint clears up (yay!) and leaves me with a very soft coconut and lime scent. eventually, i can't tell the two apart as they blend together and make some sort of artificial smell on my skin. this is the star's last stage before it completely disappears on my skin. a little goes a long way, though, so don't be tempted to slather on the first wear! i spilled some on me and the entire room smelled like a coconut drenched in mint. hee.

overall, i love this, especially the stage where the mint disappears. i'll be saving most of my bottle for the warm months.

Edited by diabolique

At first, I got a mint scent with a for-a-moment too-strong whiff of cherry-almond. The almondy scent was almost a deal-breaker, but it soon faded, leaving me with just the minty coconut. Minty coconut is a combination which was both appealing and sort of repelling at the same time. I think I felt like mint and coconut should not work together, and the fact that the Lab makes them work together was too much for me to comprehend at first.

The mint came through more strongly than the coconut at first. Very stong, very cool, very bright. The underlying coconut had a suntan lotiony feel to it, but that's a compliment. I like coconut-scented suntan lotion. Then the mint started to fade, leaving me with a gorgeous creamy coconut scent. It's very comforting.

I think I'll be getting a larger bottle of this for the summer months.

On my second try (after reading some of the reviews), I could smell the lime in the bottle. And instead of off-putting, the initial minty-almondy scent makes me think of baking Christmas cookies. I can smell the lime coming through, too. I'm really falling in love with this! As Eris (and others) mentioned, when the mint starts to fade, the lime becomes more apparent. I can't believe I didn't pick up on the lime the first time around. I've also decided that while I initially pegged this as a summer scent, the mint in it makes me think of skiing and the blindingly bright white of snow-covered mountains and gets me in the holiday spirit!

I ordered this hoping for a cocnutty scent and I wasn't disappointed. On me this was all coconut, with a hint of lime and mint. Actually if I had one minor complaint about the scent, it would be that they aren't strong enough, and that the mint doesn't last long enough. I loved the initial phase on my skin where the mint and cocnut really mingled. It dries on me to a pure coconut scent, very tropical. Very nice!

On me this scent both in the bottle and on remained the same, which made me very happy indeed.

It was a coconut background to a lemon-lime scent actually. To me this was a very bright and shiny scent, just like a star. I loved the lemon-lime brightness to it, with the coconut taking it down from overbearing sweetness. An excellent mix from the lab, I definitely need to buy a larger bottle of this one.

Sadly, my imp was accidentally left upside down so I have very little left now. :P

And now for something completely different: my review through the BPAL chatroom.

<tart> i'm going to try The Star right now

<tart> my first reaction is...not...favorable lol

* tart coughs

<tart> i think it's the lime

<darklorelei> at least it isn't hamsters

<tart> HAH

<diabolique> hahahaha.

<tart> i smell like an alcoholic drink

<diabolique> i LOVE lime. i ate one earlier. with salt.

<tart> uhh i think i'm going to wash this off

<darklorelei> that good, eh?

<tart> lol

<tart> i thought i'd love this, wow

<diabolique> hahahaha

<tart> omg, lime kills this for me

The Star is a very interesting scent that I think would be great as a candle or room spray -- I just don't like lime on me. I wish the coconut were stronger. I can't get over how I smell like a margarita right now. Nice, but not nice on me.

Edited by tart

I thought I would love The Star, based on all the coconut-lime goodness people talk about. I got the lime, and a smidgen of the coconut - but on me, there is also a weird note that I suspect is herbal, and that note bothers me. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's been in other blends that have given me headaches. So, not so much a fan. Other than that one mystery annoying note, The Star was very light on me and not as rich as I would have liked. However, I have found my creamy coconut-fruity oil in Snow White, so I am not too sad. :P

I purchased The Star as a Christmas gift for my best friend, so I didn't test it on myself. However, I did open the bottle about 10 times just to smell it...this means I'm buying myself a bottle with my very next order! :D

I didn't detect the coconut or lime that others have mentioned; to me The Star smelled like baking Christmas cookies. The kind with almond extract and a maraschino cherry pressed into the top. That's the feeling I kept getting with every sniff-- almond, freshly baked cookies, and maraschino cherry. Not too sweet at all, just very light and calming and happy.

-sigh-

:P

In bottle ~ ack! sweet lemon! help!

Wet ~ Lemon merangue, perhaps? More of a candy scent than lemon, though. It reminds me of the sweet shop we visited when last in Victoria, B.C.

Drying ~ There's something musky or perfumy trying to happen here. It has a very round scent -- circular, as if the notes are somehow looping back on themselves.

Dryer ~ The lemon is fading, but its leaving a sweet caramel or toffee scent behind. It's almost a flavor, it's so visceral.

Dry down ~ I just placed the scent: Lush's "Honey I Washed the Kids / Ma Bar / Soft Coeur" line. Holy cow. I wish I liked smelling like an accident at Willy Wonka's, because this would be a perfect oil. I tend towards a love of sweet scents, but this one just isn't my thing.

Dry ~ There's still a caramel/toffee component, but it's lighter now. It's almost as if the candy is starting to go stale, or has been smeared on a baby-doll. I might be detecting a resin note coming out.

Summary ~ The innocence of The Star is pretty clear here - a jumble of sugary-sweetness and toys. It's almost a bit much, and makes me think of gorging myself full of candy as a child and running it off with my favorite toy ever!

It lightens to something less alarming (a sugar crash, perhaps), but still -- this scent almost makes me tired. woofah.

Edited by byrdie

As others have said, when first applied, there is a bright splash of lemon/lime and mint. As it dries a bit the coconut comes out more and more. This blend smells so very crisp and sweet! In fact it reminds me very much of my favorite key-lime cookies. It remains fairly consistent as it dries. The very last note is a soft, sweet coconut. I think this will be wonderful in the summer.

In the vial: Mmmm! Coconut-Minty goodness, with a bit of something zesty.

On: This one's definitely got some tang behind the coconut and mint. I'm assuming that is the Lime people keep mentioning, but its difficult for me to say for sure.

After a minute: Interesting. It's difficult to pick anything out now because there's this menthol effect happening. (It doesn't smell like menthol, but it's got the same sort of sinus clearing ka-bang at the moment)

A bit later: It goes back to smelling like it did in the imp, but much more mellow and a bit more blended together.

Verdict: I do like this one, it's certainly in the style of "me", but The Lovers is still my favorite tarot oil.

"The Star" (Tarot Oil)

They all smell good in the bottle! And very different on, so here's my opinion.

At first on, I smell cinamonny-peppermint! Spicey, with a hint of coconut.

After about 30 minutes it goes to a lovely warm sweet coconut. I've already had several compliments on this!! I don't really smell anything like citrus (which likes my chem), but more coconuty mint which also apparently likes my chem. I am loving this one!!

After a couple of hours it still smells wonderful, but it's fading quickly. That's okay cuz I don't mind applying more! I think this one will require a larger bottle!!

ChupaChup was kind enough to send me a decant of this Tarot oil :P

Wet, the Star is spicy coconutty sweet, with a hint of green in the background. As it dries down, the spicy and green notes disappear and the sweetness intensifies into a caramel-type gooeyness, with a faint trace of the initial coconut note. Unfortunately, it gets so sweet on my skin that it is slightly nauseating. Not for me, alas.

I'm a big coconut fan, so I had high hopes for this.

On first sniff I got assaulted by mint - it was extremely strong and I couldn't face trying it so put the imp to one side. A few weeks later I tried again and this time persevered through the mint - on my skin I could pick out more lime and maybe coconut in the background.

On drying the coconut becomes more prominent, but on a lovely cool fresh background. After an hour or so I love this scent as the coconut picks up and loses the mint to become sweeter.

I have had more compliments wearing the star than any other bpal I've tried. I now have only a few drops left of my imp and I will be getting a big bottle with my next order, I have become totally addicted and now even love the minty beginning!

First Impression: Peppermint of a lovely sort with the barest undercurrent of that cherry/almond mystery scent.

Second Impression: Ok the amaretto is gone the instant it hits the skin. No lime here, not much coconut either. Just lots and lots of buttery, creamy peppermint. It's like a big bowl of those restaurant after-dinner mints.

Final Analysis: It's a nice and very soothing. I can't wait to try this at bedtime. I will have to wait on my two bottles of Spooky before I decide if I need a bottle of The Star.

I am extraordinarily grateful to tempete for swapping me her imp of The Star.

This scent is phenomenal. It has a perfect fusion between gentle coconut and a hint of mellow lemon. It smells like light and life. This blend places the image of a star in my mind, glowing with white fire.

It has admirable lasting power for a fruity scent so that I could continue to feel uplifted and energized by The Star throughout the day.

I love it!

This is a very interesting and memory evoking scent. The first whiff I get is peppermint, with a dry coconut note, if that makes any sense. The two notes merge into something that is very similar, to a cherry/coconut pipe tobacco. It is lovely, but fades pretty quickly. I am going ot meditate on The Star card while wearing this though. It feels like a very potent blend.

I was scared at first of the coconut mentioned being in The Star, but from such great reviews how could I resist trying it ?!

I'm so glad I ordered this. Not only does this smell of a lovely light cocoa, coconut, vanilla, mint with a teeny amount of gardenia it makes me feel like the center of attention, really! I NEED to have a 10ml bottle of this in fact I could bathe in The Star its that good. I feel blessed that it is not a limited edition because it is THAT good. Next order this is going on, top priority. Its not a strong overpowering scent, its light, if it where a color I would say pink with silver sparkles and powdered blue lining. If it were a fabric it would be Microsuede as soft as silk but as tough as leather. The scent is of The Star and Beth did a great job in helping me interpret the card by making this blend. I LOVE THIS.

:P