Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Lola Lee Loo

In The Bottle: The fig and rice flower are the first notes detectable. Light, sweet and not at all foodie, I recognize the fig from such classics as Eden. The rice reminds of a long-lost Shunga scent from years gone by, though I can't place which one, exactly. (Though old enough that it may have come out the same year as the original and unmatched Glowing Vulva).

Wet On Skin: As it warms, the cream starts to show itself, but it's sheer- I'm not getting the toasted aspect, nor am I getting the smokiness of the fig. This is a light, gentle skin scent thus far, and neither clove not patchouli are anywhere on the premises, unfortunately. :( 

Dry Down: Oh, HAI THERE, Clove! To be fair, even at full dry-down, the clove is merely a footnote, a little bit of an edge, a slight toe-hold for all the 
gossamer-sheer notes on which to gain traction. (it IS only listed as "a drop", after all...) In all, this is a gentle scent, much like the sweet-looking fur baby for which it is named. It stays close to the skin, and as a mid-summer release, I can see wearing this on the balmy nights that remain now in August and the first half of September, then perhaps switching to wearing it during sunny, slightly chilled afternoons throughout the fall. ❤️ 

I love this.

First off, I get vanilla and a fig note that reminds me of Eden. As time goes on, the toastiness comes out, and after drydown, I suddenly get the riceflower and clove, very distinctly. Neither are heavy or overwhelming, but I can pick them out clearly. The patchouli is not strong at all.

This is very gourmand but stops just short of foodie. Decent throw.

Fig is the star of the show in Lola Lee Loo, and it's a sweet fig: I don't get any smokiness from it at all. I also don't get any waxiness from it (which can sometimes happen with fig with my skin chemistry). It's accompanied by the vanilla cream note, which is more cream than vanilla on me, and the fig and the cream combined give me Lilith Nightingale vibes (so think of that without the Ayurvedic spices). I don't get the toasted quality to the vanilla cream until about an hour into wear, and then the rice flower emerges, along with a touch of clove. I can only smell the clove if I hold my arm close to my nose and sniff it, so if you are worried about the clove, it really is just a touch. I didn't get any patchouli from this at all, even after several hours of wear.

Lola Lee Loo is a nice, comforting scent. If you enjoy Eden or Lilith Nightingale, you will probably like this one, too. :)

In the imp: Creamy vanilla-fig, but nothing like you'd imagine. It's not really a foodie scent, for one, and for another, this is a gentle, mellow fig, not growly like in Nasty Woman or humid and sensual, like in Eden. Combined, they almost read as coconut. Rice flower is a note I'm unfamiliar with, but there's something light, floral, and almost but not quite mouth-watering here, rounding out the vanilla and fig and keeping them from going sticky-sweet, and I'd bet this is it.

Wet: Uh, wat? I get an effervescent, pleasantly chilled, fruity tropical drink. I can almost get something like the dash of pineapple juice added to smoothies and drinks to make them taste "tropical" without being definitively pineapple. Where did this come from??? I still get a whiff of vanilla way down at the base, which is about the only thing that I was expecting.

Dry: Ah, there's the clove and patchouli, roughly in that order. Neither are too far forward, though - it's a softly creamy, fruity scent, with that light, ethereal rice flower proving unexpectedly tenacious.

This is Atsui Mono on steroids. 

Creamy, sweet, figgy, a little smoky - like lightly toasted marshmallows, and WONDERFUL.

I tend to amp fig, so it isn't surprising this is a very fig forward scent on me.  But instead of being overly sweet or funky like fig often does for me, it is sweet and powdery.  The rice flower adds a light, white sheer floral so that it is a sweet figgy floral.  I don't get many of the other notes, except for maybe a light hint of the vanilla cream and a little, very slight patchouli grounding.  If they're there, they're a slight memory, faint, and elusive.  

I think Lola must be a very sweet little girl if this is her scent.  

There are some blends I find to be beyond description, and Lola Lee Loo is one of them. I don’t smell any particular note and say “ah, that’s the X”; this is much more complicated than that because it isn’t about what it smells like. It’s about the way it makes you feel.

There are some blends from Black Phoenix—Lilith blends in particular—that make you feel that powdery, sticky, wholehearted kind of love you can feel for a child. The smells evoke something in you. Lola Lee Loo does the same thing, in that warm, salty-sweet, unconditional and wholly uncomplicated kind of love you feel for a pet. It makes you want to squeeze them tight and gift them with eternal youth and health because you also remember how brief your times together can be, which perhaps makes them all the more special. 

Sorry I can’t say more than that about what this “smells like.” Plus I have something in my eye, like a stick or a branch...

Vanilla, fig, and a ton of rice flower. This is very Shunga esque. The vanilla and rice flower sort of overwhelm everything. It's a very close skin scent on me, powdery, sticky, and very cuddly.

Over the last 3 years I lost 3 of my cats to old age and health problems which piled up a lot of bills and heartache. Seeing his scent it pulled right at my heartstrings and as I was anyway ordering something from puddin I asked him to throw it in expecting something foody...somehow.

It is not foody at all but I also get the warmth many others described. Thre is something fruity sweet and while the only fig perfume I ever had from the lab was figgy pudding, i can see it being a fresh ripe fig...not a dried sweet one like in the figgy pudding.

Seing some people comparing it to the shugas actually made me happy. I live in Japan and want them to wor but I had to give up on shugas because every round of them gave me headaches. Love rice notes but damn you flowers!!! 

This one doesn't have the strong flowers notes. It is mainly sweet rice, a little like unsweetened rice boiled in milk? The clove and patchouli are just soft and offer a warm hug like the ones you would get from a four-legged friend that trusts you with all his or her little heart.

I have a soft spot for old dogs, so I went straight to bottle.  It's very fruity at first, which I'm assuming is the fig, after a bit, the clove ends up being the star.  I guess I amp clove, which is alright sometimes, but I really wanted the other notes to come through more.  Hopefully with some age, this will happen.  Now I am missing my old girl, great memories.

Wet: Sweet, kind of soapy and perfumey - not at all what I expected. I don't know what I'm smelling? Almost reminds me of lotus. Or bubble gum. I guess it's the fig? It's not happy on my skin, I can tell you that. It's actually really unpleasant, which none of these notes should be on my skin, so I dunno what's up! Not at all expected. I get no coconut, no vanilla cream, no clove or patchouli. Just sickly sweet fake candy powder and soap that I have to assume is the fig, which I generally love but has gone very wrong on me in this.

Dry: The fig is more recognizable, less sweet, more green. Still very perfumey. And still totally dominating the other notes on me, might as well be a single note. Usually I amp both patch and clove, but they are non-existent. All green fig! I so wanted to love this, but it's gotta go in the sell box.

Creamy rice flower & fig, Lola Lee Loo is a subtle stunner. I get a hint of toasty edge when I sniff my wrist. 
I can see this being a perfect scent for curling up with a book, and also perfect for work, as she keeps close to me. Surprisingly, the scent has been wafting up to my nose for hours! A major feat for such a skin close scent on me. The fig does fade into the rice flower & vanilla cream after a while. 
I don’t know how much I would reach for this in my current self, but if I worked in a scent-wary environment, I can see it being my go-to. 

I bet this would be fabulous layered over Castitas bath oil! Rice flower squared. 

I don’t normally go for sweet scents, but this is gorgeous on me! 

wet: fruit forward, but balanced by the rice flower and vanilla. I don’t get much smoke, and no spice 

dry: the vanilla/rice flower really warms up and takes on that gentle toasted smell, the fig stops screaming and plays nicely, and while I can’t pick out the spice, I think it helps to round out everything. It’s intensely comforting and unlike the rest of my woody, resiny, musky collection. I like it even more than I thought I would, with the added benefit of helping out a good old girl. 

I split a bottle of this with my sister and we both had complete opposite reactions to it.

Fresh I found it incredibly cloying, and like LizziesLuck said, just sickly sweet and fake smelling. But my sister really enjoyed the sweet, uncomplicated creamy vanilla scent.

On aging for a couple of months, I like it a lot more. Aging has made it more multidimensional, the spice from the clove and the patch give the sweetness some depth now and the fig is a little more obvious as a fruit note rather than just a syrupy sweetness. It dries down to a very nice creamy rice flower scent which reminds me somewhat of the creamy notes from Zorya Polunochnaya which is one of my favorite BPAL scents. It's not as musky, complex or deep as that scent, kind of like the little girl version of it. 

It's still VERY sweet, but to me (a big spice/incense lover), it's much more wearable and definitely a comfort scent for bed. I wore it to bed and it was still very strong in the morning so it does have quite a bit of longevity without a ton of throw.

My sister however, really dislikes it now as the clove is more forward so I guess if you're turned off by a hint of spice (I don't notice it as a distinguishable note at all) then beware.

This starts out as a creamy clove with rice flower and fig in the background -- creamy, but also just a little too sweet, almost sickly so. (I'm noticing I tend to have this impression with scents where rice flower is a note and am beginning to wonder if I have to add it to my list of death notes.) Fortunately, after drydown, the sickly sweet aspect fades and I'm left with a soft, creamy, slightly toasty vanilla. It's pleasant and snuggly, but also incredibly skin-close.

Thoughts before testing: One of my holy grail scents is Castitas bath oil from the Trading Post. It's notes are listed as rice flower, vanilla, and cream. But it's been out of stock for so long that I started looking for substitutes (and you better believe once it comes back, I'll be buying 5 bottles lol). I figured Lola Lee Loo would be a close contender more smoky and with a little more depth due to the fig, clove, and patch. Fingers crossed! 

Wet: Wow, this is stunning! It's a heady floral vanilla with just a hint of the clove/patch. The fig bloomed for about thirty seconds before retreating to the background and making the vanilla/rice flower more rounded and not screechy at all. 

Dry down: As it dries, the clove and patch get screechy for about fifteen minutes; you know, high pitched and nostril-assaulting. I decided to give it another 10 to see if it toned down at all and to my extreme surprise this morphs into a much more smooth vanilla with the edges of smoke and sensuality from the clove/patch combo. 

Dry: After about four hours on my skin, it's all smooth and creamy golden vanilla with just a hint of smoke and spice with a very light floral tinge. 

Verdict: My perfume sweet spot is best described as Morocco, all vanillas and spices and cream and sweetness without being foodie. Lola Lee Loo is EXACTLY what I've been looking for in a perfume. I didn't realize I needed a little touch of something smoky and dirty to really bring the spicy creamy sweetness to it's full potential. This is also lasted forever on my skin, taking a full 9 hours before I had to really try and smell it. The throw is low-medium and got me a bunch of compliments at work yesterday. I'm absolutely hoarding this one. 

I bought 3 bottles because I liked this so much, and I can't believe I didn't review it yet. I agree with all of the other review. Creamy without being foodie. The fig doesn't stand out much to me. The clove/patch elevates it to round out the creaminess. It's got a low throw, so I feel like I have to slather it on. It doesn't tend to stick around for very long, so it's a good base for applying something else in the afternoon.

This was one of my first BPALs, and I find it so comforting.

I get mostly vanilla cream, sweetened by pale figs, grounded by clove. The smoke and toast notes are barely there. It’s gourmand-adjacent but something stops it from going there… the light patch? The rice flower?  

For me, this hits a perfect middle in the cozy-gourmand-perfumish venn diagram.