Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Lavender and Patchouli

A slightly sweet, herbal lavender is the dominant note from the moment I open the bottle through the first few minutes as it dries on my skin. This patchouli is a lighter and woodier variety, like the basin holding a lavender bouquet, as though I only notice its own smell once I've been inhaling the flowers for a moment. As you might expect, there's not much morphing after it dries and the notes equalize. It just gets a little bit earthier.

This is not overpowering or dirty, so if you're looking for a high-quality patchouli without headshop associations, track down some Lavender and Patchouli. I'm glad I have it for the many days when I need relaxation and grounding, and for the evenings when I want to wind down before bedtime.

I wore this the last two nights, once on its own, and once layered with a (non-Lab) vanilla.

The lavender is indeed soporific, but the patchouli in this is too strong and dirty for me. It's got the dry, earthiness of a red patchouli and the smokiness of a black patchouli. I couldn't tell you which variety it is, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it. It overpowers the lavender on me, and even layered with vanilla, it ends up mostly being vanilla and patchouli on me: the lavender just can't compete with it on my skin chemistry. The next morning, I can still smell the patchouli on my skin. Too bad the lavender doesn't have that kind of longevity!

So I will probably end up putting this one up for swaps, as I know I wouldn't wear it on its own before bed, and I don't want to always have to layer it with something to make it wearable on me.

Sweet herbal lavender, but you get the patch on the drydown. Starts off lavender and ends up patch. It's if you laid down in a lavender field, so you get both the lavender and the dirt smell. Medium throw and wear length.

Lavender always comes out in a big rush before my skin quickly gobbles it up, and this is no exception.  Lavender and Patchouli starts off with a lavender you might get if you gathered a sheaf of it and had it drying in your kitchen, but as always, it's not long-lasting on me.  The patchouli quickly muscles it out of the way, so the drydown is all woody patch (not headshoppy) with only the faintest trace of herbal lavender.  I always enjoy testing lavender scents but rarely end up keeping them.  

there are two types of lavender: soothing and IN YOUR FACE

this is the latter....

just a dab screams all day long. I mean, i like lavender, and it was ok enough to wear that dab all day, but I'm glad I didn't put more on. 

I got no patch that was noticable, but knowing it should be there I may or may not have gotten tiny hints of something earthy, before the lavender squashed it again lol