Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

FORMULA SGSG4: Candy Witch

For me, this was more pumpkin spice cake than chocolate fudge cake. I got pumpkin spice, chocolate, and icing. If you love cake blends, give this a whirl.

It was very Fall-esque, and that was super pleasant in this scorcher of a summer here in DC.

In the decant: A ton of spice with some earthy, vegetal quality beneath it (perhaps the pumpkin)?

On my skin, that's exactly what I get, too. There's tons of cinnamon and an odd, vegetal (not buttery, sweet, or gourmand whatsoever) pumpkin note. I am not getting any cake from this. (What is up with these trunk show prototypes that mention cake notes with no cake to be found???) Eventually, the weird vegetal note goes away and I am left with loads of pumpkin spice with a bit of chocolate fuzziness that could suggest cake, but doesn't actually smell like cake, and I would never guess cake if I didn't have a scent description telling me there's supposed to be cake here.

It was nice to get a chance to try this one, but I really didn't like the earthy, vegetal pumpkin I got from this. I also wish that the pumpkin spice weren't so strong on me and that there were more cake. I'll probably pass the decant on to a friend of mine that loves spicy scents.

Same here. The pumpkin spice overwhelms my skin and there's a smell of gas station chocolate fudge. I smell like....rue? wolfsbane?....underneath it all when wet. This is so odd. 

Drydown I get a bit more gas station fudge and the pumpkin spice mellows...but its still a weirdo!

Starts off strongly chocolate cake with a touch of pumpkin spice, but as it dries the pumpkin almost completely overwhelms the chocolate. This reminds me of Samhain minus the apples, I swear there's a type of dead leaves or similar note lingering in the background. Lots of cinnamon comes out when it's dry. Very nice, I'm not too mad that the chocolate didn't last that long since that seems to be typical for me. 

In the bottle: This is actually very perfumey to my nose, such that I double-checked the bottle to make sure I'm reviewing in the right spot. (Names and abbreviations match.) It's almost dead leaves kind of cologne-y, minus the bell pepper evocation. 

On my skin:

Wet, I still get a lot of dead leaves -- and even a bit of bell pepper now, though I can't swear that I'm not conjuring that out of my mind -- but there is something in this that feels slightly tingly on my skin (cinnamon, cassia, clove, pepper, or even nutmeg are solid possibilities). As it dries, the dead leaves aspect fades, but it's still very strong on the pumpkin spice. Not pumpkin spice cake or pumpkin spice frosting. Just. Pumpkin. Spice. 

Just. Pumpkin. Spice. is much better on me than are cologney peppery dead leaves. But I do miss getting any kind of sweetness out of this, from chocolate or cake or frosting. I might be interested in trying to layer this with something that's too sweet for me to see what happens.