Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

FORMULA FFSM4: Captain

Captain Tightpants smells just as good as you always knew he would. At first there's a pretty big hit of leather, but as it settles in the cedar softens the leather, and the vanilla/sassafras sweeten the whole thing. It doesn't smell like rootbeer at all. The drydown is just ruggedly sexy with all the notes merging. The leather is still the one note I can pick out distinctly, but it's not harsh or chemically leather and after it settles down it carries the blend really well without overpowering it. I'm so happy to have nabbed a bottle of this from the etsy; it was the only trunk show blend I really wanted.

Me before smelling Captain: It's probably going to be like a cross between Outlaw and Tombstone but not as sweet!

Me upon smelling Captain: HOLY HECK THAT IS SOME LEATHER.

Captain is very strong on the leather, backed by the white cedar note, which is a different kind of cedar than the one found in Tombstone. I sadly never end up getting any sassafras or vanilla from this, and I was really hoping for some root beer-y goodness.

The leather in this is far too strong for me, with not enough sweetness to tame it, so I will be passing this on to a friend who adores Firefly and is curious about this scent.

Edited by doomsday_disco

First on this is LEATHER, but with some dry down it becomes a fairly balanced blend of vanilla and leather, touched with the cedar and sarsaparilla. It does not smell like rootbeer, it is not foody, leans masculine but could be worn comfortably by either gender I think. I like this more than I expected.

Zoe: "First rule of battle, little one ... don't ever let them know where you are."
Mal: "WHOO-HOO! I'M RIGHT HERE! I'M RIGHT HERE! YOU WANT SOME O' ME?! YEAH YOU DO! COME ON! COME ON! AAAAAH! Whoo-hoo!"
Zoe: "'Course, there're other schools of thought."

Captain is just a big ol' slap of leather, sharp and chemical. It's not soft leather. Black leather mixed with brown, very much like Silk Phoenix. The bourbon comes right out front with it. The cedar so faint behind I'm not sure I'm not making it up. Sarsaparilla and vanilla are just a vague sweetness, no root beer.

This is primarily chemical leather and sweet booze. It's raunchy, like the inside of a new car that somebody spilled bourbon all over. The leather smells too "new" to really fit the idea of a proper seasoned space cowboy, and damn if it ain't REALLY shouting over the good stuff going on behind it. Let's see how it mellows out; it may find its footing after a season of rest.

First introduction to Captain was indeed leather, yet there was some intricacy, almost spice upon application.

Quickly, those intricacies flee behind the big bold personality of leather. Tackle shop, boot store, strong yet supple, carry-you-across-the-land-flung-over-his-shoulder leather.

On the dry down, some of the vanilla or sassafras sweetness peeks around the corner. I also start to notice that the cedar is contributing the manliness of the leather, a wooden frame keeping everything ridged.

Softened with wear the scent becomes more of a cozy leather chair, full of memories and stories of adventure in the Wild West. Still center of attention, yet willing to share the stage a bit. 

As a fan of leather scents, this is just at the edge of what I enjoy and too much. I feel like aging will bring out the supporting notes more, as they get comfy in the relationship, and I’ll enjoy it a lot more. 

I am reconstructing these from my notes, because I tested them while I was decanting them.
Oh yeah, LEATHER. This is brown leather with a touch of cedar. It sort of reminded me to Quincy Morris. Great throw and wear length.