Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

FORMULA UOS1520: Overconfident Hipster

(ordered from Etsy when the Trunk Show extras were listed)

I almost skipped past the description of this scent, because I saw “Overconfident Hipster” and my brain went DO NOT WANT. Something with that name should smell like beard oil, lavash bread and hummus, PBR, all-natural laundry detergent, a warm and un-ironic trilby, and faint disdain. 

But gardenias? Yes, please! And that’s exactly what it smells like. Strong, too: a little goes a loooooong way.

Edited by Leopard403
purchase details

Def agree with leopard403 that the name is a bit of a turn off lol. I was not able to get to the trunk show so i had no expectations of trying to obtain this or any of the cool sounding formulas. I happened to catch it on etsy tho which was sick! Gardenias need to be in more bpal blends imo. Freshly on it's a big bathtub full of soapy white flowers. Gardenia and jasmine right out of the gate. The jasmine is strong but the gardenia is like supporting it? They stay pretty heady for a while, then the lily of the valley eventually starts to become more present. The peony i think adds a sweetness that keeps this from going dish soapy. Very lovely. Medium throw when fresh but gets closer to the skin as it dries

Peonies, lilies, gardenias, and in your face all the time. This is a very spring like bouquet, aggressively floral and sort of like walking into Anthropologie. You know you're in Anthropologie because everything screams at you that you're there, and look at this floral top, and yes, its $100 but then you can pretend you have a stylish hobo chic aesthetic (whether you do or don't is totally irrelevant). MONDO throw.

If you were looking for a spring time bouquet, look no further. Also, if you are missing Peony Moon, check this  out because the peonies are in the house.

I guess I'm an overconfient hipster...or at least I wish I had this when I was. Puhurmffff. This scent is amazing. Better than the Sweet Life released version through UO.

This version is sweeter and stronger. Lusher. Better balanced. More pink, less white. Floral but in a new, young way. The peonies do an amazing job at keeping the white florals in check and the pikake is a great sweet bright note.

Floral bouquets are always a very tricky thing with my chemistry. Either they go totally soapy, or too grandmotherly, or headache inducing. This though! This is wonderful. Gardenia is the strongest out of the gate, so if you're here for that you'll be quite happy. The rest of the flowers are supporting that note with a clear white burst of dewy, sparkly sunshine. It smells like a real bouquet, like Easter Sunday and springtime in a bottle. 

I think, or suspect, that amber is the reason so many floral blends go wrong on me. The absence of any traditional grounding notes like resins or woods here was a very good call. It's just flowers, and it's just nice.

Edited by supreme_c0rt