Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I ain’t broke.

…and you bastards ain’t never going to break me.

Red sandalwood, shea, sweet patchouli, cardamom, pecan, and caramelized amber.

This is so beautiful. Lovers of sugared patchouli and sticky sweet resin scents are going to love this one. The shea note is so beautiful--creamy, sweet, and a bit reminiscent of Obatala. I don't smell a ton of cardamom or pecan, but this is a nearly-foody resin and patchouli scent. It's like a comforting hug from someone who loves to bake. I would snuggle with Penny Rolle forever. ❤️

Edit: I do smell the pecans in the beginning! Smells like a sweet roll with pecans when wet. :)

Edited by ellocentipede

Penny Rolle is one of those skin-scent-but-better scents. I’m getting a nutty, yet clean, shea and amber mostly. Like ello, the pecan is noticeable in the beginning. There is a bit of woodsiness to it, but it’s overshadowed by the shea note. There is a sweetness to the scent that I enjoy. 

Some strong throw to Penny! I thought I needed to slather in the beginning, but it bloomed much stronger than I anticipated. 

I’m not in love with this as much as I expected, and am wondering if I just amp shea.... Feels like a good scent for strolling on a beach, or in a setting where I wouldn’t want a noticeable perfume and just something simple & clean. It’s pretty cozy, actually. I’m interested in seeing how it develops with some settling.

Edited by artisjok

Yes!  This is amazing! Sandalwood is front & center. So good! It's wood & amber & nuts on me...I need a bottle.

Pecan, skin musk, sandalwood and shea. This smells like a womanly pecan shea roll. Strong, clean, feminine. Good throw and wear length.

Starts out caramel pecan roll with tons of salty butter on top, that fades fast on me though and I'm left with a scent identical to Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Lotion. (So pretty much pure shea?) It's pleasant but, not really for me. :)

If you would like a shea-dominant scent, Penny Rolle may be for you. The shea is the star of the show throughout wear on me. Like other reviewers, I get the pecan note in the beginning, but it doesn't stick around. (I was worried the pecan in this would give me flashbacks to Mother Shub's Pumpkin Pecan Treacle Tarts, but fortunately, that wasn't the case!) I am not able to detect any cardamom in this, so if you're looking for a cardamom-centric blend, you may want to look elsewhere. I also didn't get much patchouli. It's mostly shea over a bed of warm, cuddly resins (I get more of the red sandalwood than the caramelized amber with my skin chemistry, but they're both present). It just gets sweeter over time thanks to the shea and the caramelized aspect of the amber.

I think this will appeal to fans of sweet resins, as long as they're up for the resins being sweetened by shea and not something like tonka or vanilla. I think it is pleasant, but it's also not something I could see myself reaching for. (I'd rather smell like the muffins Penny bakes. :lol: ) Fans of shea should definitely give this a whirl, though!

Edited by doomsday_disco

I think Penny Rolle was given to me by a superbly generous forumite.  It starts out very foodie on me, all caramel pecan, though not much in the way of cardamom.  Then the pecan calms down and I get caramelized shea and sandalwood, over a warm nutty ambery ground.  The patchouli is really quiet so if that note is scaring you off, you needn't worry.  I didn't get much throw from this, but that's normal for me.  What I got was a warm sweet snuggly comfort scent.  

Penny Rolle is so creamy, warm, and pretty smelling on me. It reminds me of the rice milk in Boomslang at first. The shea gives it that rich creaminess, I think, and the caramelized amber, smooth sandalwood incense and pecan are so warm and cozy.

I picked this up hoping for a gourmand patchouli, but I can't smell any patchouli or cardamom. That's okay, though, because I'm loving the strong shea note and delicately sweet pecan.

Creamy, rich, sweet shea body butter on slightly salty skin with sweet amber and pecan, and a hint of exotic sandalwood incense in the background.  It's a quiet, subtle, unusual, gourmand-ish blend, but I really enjoy it.

I agree with most of the reviews. It's mostly sweet shea butter on me, reminding me of Obatala. I don't pick up any patch or cardamom, either. I don't think it's particularly resinous, either. Sweet, creamy, gourmand leaning heavy on shea butter is pretty apt.

This is such a beautiful shea. I’m in love with Penny quite a bit, tbh. The shea and the caramelized amber are the 2 strongest notes my nose picks up, but I get a hint of sandalwood and cardamom as well. It’s very creamy and comforting and  I think this is a perfect sleep scent or perfect for a close to the skin every day scent. It’s really that good. Looking forward to discovering more of the BP line. 

Edited by sarandipitee

This is really nice.  Obatala is one of my all time favorite scents and I definitely see why people are making comparisons.  I feel like they are two sides of the same coin.  Obatala is cool and refreshing while Penny Rolle is warm and comforting.  It’s definitely Shea dominant on me but with a bit of a dry note from the sandalwood and just a hint of spicy cinnamon.  I’m a huge fan of super foody scents that a lot of other people might find too syrupy or cloying so I find this one pretty mild in comparison.  

Anytime I see patchouli as a note, I'm a bit skeptical. My skin tends to amp patchouli to the point where I usually just avoid the note altogether. But this is really enjoyable. While wet, it's a sweet, nutty gourmand. It smells like pie crust and amber. After drying down, it becomes rich, and creamy. It smells like caramel and amber with the fresh cardamom in the background. I usually don't find gourmands wearable, but this is really enjoyable. After 30 minutes, it starts smelling like sweet, woody shea body butter. It's warm and cozy. It has very little throw, and I can't smell it unless I huff my wrist. After an hour, I can't smell it at all. 

The sweetest bakery you've ever been to. Maybe a bakery in some kind of alternate universe, or a scent you'd find in a bakery-themed theme park portion. It goes all kindsa weird on my skin and i wish i knew why. :cry2: I wish i could love this.

Edited by Cali