Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

Execute Confession Module

Musk, clove and a whiff of pepper. This one is both dark and light at the same time. I would code this as gender neutral musk. Good throw and wear length.

This starts off with the strongest blast of black pepper I have ever come across in a BPAL scent. The black musk is next in prominence, and there's also some clove, and I'd say this one has Old Demons of the First Class vibes. The white musk emerges after a bit and starts competing with the darker notes, so that it ends up being a battle between white and black musks on me. The black pepper and clove end up being confined to background roles after a few hours of wear, content to let the musks duke it out. At one point, I thought the white musk was going to triumph, but the black musk reasserted itself.

I am not particularly fond of black musk, so this isn't something I'd choose to wear, but I do think the scent matches the concept and would recommend this to fans of scents like Old Demons of the First Class and perhaps Server Gremlins.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I would have expected stronger pepper given the previous review, but it ends up smelling more like sunscreen to me. It's actually kinda nice. I wouldn't attribute pepper or clove to it, it seems to come across as a pleasant musk.

I'm getting harsh static in the brain when I smell this, which is tremendously evocative of the scene in Bitch Planet. But for me, it also smells like the natural smell of someone I dated whom I was never actually attracted to. I might keep it as a morbid curiosity but if anyone wants to swap for it, out it goes.

For me this was black musk, black musk, and more black musk.  I never really got any of the other notes. Just a black musk that was relentlessly, aggressively present. It wouldn't leave me alone.  Which I guess fits the concept a bit.  While I like the black musk smell in general, I want something more in a blend than this was giving me, to balance it out a bit.

I haven't read this series (although this inspired me to add to my reading list), so I can't speak to how evocative it is, but - I love this! I wanted to try for the black pepper and clove. I had no idea I was getting something so complex and intriguing! This started with a dry, cool vibe, like a very herbal lavender, like White Oakmoss & Lavender, which I love. Then it shifted to a cottony, lemony vibe, almost like Lazy Daisy (<3), and ended on the loveliest, lingering sandalwood, much like my beloved Solved Mysteries. I'd venture the two biggest standouts overall were black pepper and white musk in a tussle throughout.

I sniffed my self all day, wore it again the next day, dropped a big bottle in my cart, and poked some BPAL mates to bring it to their attention. It's wonderful. I don't know how well it relates to the book, but based on the label, I'd say this does have an enveloping, encompassing quality. Outstanding.

Finally getting around to reviewing this one!  I am a total sucker for ALL of the BPAL "musk" notes, but black musk is one of my faves so of course I had to get this.  In the bottle:  Strong black pepper with a very faint hit of something vaguely sweet/floral.  On, wet:  The black pepper heats up almost immediately, as does the white musk, which really does weave and clash with the black musk.  Faint whiffs of the clove, which is great, because I tend to over-amp clove sometimes depending on the blend.  Right after opening up, the white musk floats to the top a bit more.  Drydown:  This settles in closer to the skin than I thought it would; as noted I can amp clove as well as black musk.  In a very odd way this reminds me of a Lace; getting a tiny bit of that herbal note in there somewhere; maybe the white musk?  If this were a Lace I would call it "Black and White Houndstooth Trimming Lace."  It's this interplay of fresh notes and heavy notes. Low throw.