Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Palo Santo and Frankincense

Wet: Holy frankincense and gorgeous wood. I can see a pale wood in my mind's eye. This reminds of church on a most sacred day. It's strong while wet.

Dry: Holy Schnikes.the strength dies down and it mellows out beautifully....it smells like a warm, incensy wooden hug. I could see this as a signature scent if I could wear it year round. This scent is for cold winter nights when you are seeking peace and a little warmth. I love it!

YOU. GUYS.

This is so wonderful. It's like, there are two types of woody scents, warm ones and sort of dry ones, and this scent does both. There is a high, almost minty sweetness at the top of it, and a warm, sexy cedar-like base. It doesn't seem to change too much from the bottle to my skin, and has nice lasting power. This is not just a "sacred" scent, but a perfect combination of "heaven" and "earth" in precious wood and incense.

Beautiful.

My order just arrived and I couldn't wait to try this one out. In the bottle I thought I smelled maybe a touch of licorice, but it doesn't carry over onto my skin at all. Instead, I get this beautiful scent that is somehow both cool and warm. Dry. There's something almost...sparkly? It's super subtle and at the top notes, and after reading the above reviews I can definitely liken this to 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, LadyMedb said:

a high, almost minty sweetness

This perfume is mellow and calming. Truly lovely. I cannot wait to see how it last through the day and how it transforms after some aging.

In the bottle, I get a minty, licorice-y palo santo backed by some frankincense. (When this first arrived, the frank was actually the stronger of the two, but after a few days of settling, the palo santo is the stronger scent in the bottle.)

On me, I get a blast of the licorice-like mintiness, accompanied by a lot more frankincense than I got from the bottle. The frankincense in this is a dark, heavier variety, and it combines nicely with the airy palo santo.

But over time, the frankincense ends up growing stronger on me, and it ends up being a frankincense dominant blend backed by the airy, cool palo santo.

I am not sure how I feel about this yet. At first, I'm put off by the licorice vibe, and then later on, it's mostly frankincense on me. I may try layering this with something sweet to see if I appreciate it more that way, but at the moment, I am not sure it's a keeper for me. But if you love frankincense and aren't averse to the minty licorice beginning, you'll probably love this.

Licorice, dark frankincense, and a whiff of cool palo santo. Heavy, dark, resinous. Good throw and wear length.

I just got Palo&Frank in the mail today, secondhand, and couldn’t wait for settling to try it out. 

I was worried reading the reviews about the licorice scent, and opening the bottle I felt a bit disappointed when I got a strong whiff of it right away. Luckily, I have the same experience as Alisha. The licorice immediately vanished and I’m left with the lab’s lovely frankincense lightly touched by woodsy palo santo.

I always hope for palo santo to be the stronger note in blends (same hope with Thought Photography), yet, in my experience with Bpal, it takes the back seat. 

I love frankincense, so I’m happy to have this gem. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the palo to grow in strength as it ages~ 

I had a stressful day yesterday and then this arrived in the mail, perfect timing! I was practically huffing this stuff! I love palo santo's dry licoricey sweetness, and I'm happy to have a BPAL scent that features it so prominently. It's perfectly balanced here with the church incensey frankincense. They both shine.  

This is really lovely!!!  It starts out on me all palo santo, with that (to me, very welcome) tinge of licorice.  Gradually the frankincense catches up to the palo santo and eventually overcomes it.  My favorite stage is when the two notes are right in balance, about an hour in, but it is a calming and meditative scent all the way through, and if you like both of these notes, you can hardly go wrong here. 

Skipped this one during its original run and later, after learning that I really like palo santo as a note, grabbed a secondhand bottle. In the bottle and once applied, it's soft, dry palo santo with distinctly lemony and anise-y undertones, along with smooth frankincense. I was worried about the palo and frankincense combo being too heavy, but the frankincense mostly adds a resinous depth without getting too dark or heavy for everyday wear. I'd probably find this too resinous if the frankincense ended up becoming the dominant note, but on my skin it's a background player to the palo santo. Overall, soft, dry, cool palo santo, subtly deepened with frankincense. Glad to have tracked some down to add to my growing palo santo collection.