Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Black Pepper and Sandalwood

Black Pepper and Sandalwood. The perfumed answer to the sensation of holding bundle of cozy angora.

This is fresh from a hot mailbox so take this review with a grain of salt (or pepper, as it were).

This starts off as a blast of fresh pepper but then calms down to a more balanced blend with the sandalwood serving as the base. The two notes work surprisingly well together. It’s cozy but with a bit of peppery edge to it; maybe a bit more mohair than angora?

This is comforting, interesting, and something I would wear what I want something cozy with a hint of spunk to it.

Spicy sandalwood. This is peppery, but a whiff of something yarny and cozy on the drydown warming up that sandalwood. This smells like yarn. Sort of wooly, cozy, and with spice in it.

Understated, close to the skin, cozy. The very softest sandalwood, like sandalwood incense. (Sometimes sandalwood gets more like cedar on me, very strong like walking in to Home Depot and smelling the wood shavings -- this isn't that!)  Just a little spice from the black pepper. Again, very soft. Not going to make you sneeze. This is one of the nicest sandalwood blends I've had the pleasure to try, it's really agreeing with me. 

In the imp: Spicy, but not distinctly peppery, with a cozy, woody warmth hiding out at the base.

Wet: Mellower, with the spices fading back and the sandalwood taking center stage. I keep going back and forth on whether this is a more incense-y/resinous sandalwood, or a more woody sandalwood, but sandalwood it is, rounded out by the ghost of omnidirectional spices.

Dry: This one gets real soft, real fast. It dries down to a soft, cozy, barely-there sandalwood with just a hint of spices. This one would be great for layering!

I'm frequently anosmic to the Lab's pepper note.  I just can't smell it.  Not here!  Black Pepper and Sandalwood starts out with a healthy dose of fresh-ground black pepper.  Then the sandalwood comes out to meet it, a little sharp at first but softening quickly.  Three hours in it's mostly cozy sandalwood but still with a tang of black pepper.  This is a lovely combination, and I'm so excited about having a black pepper note I can actually appreciate. 

I like this a lot more than I thought I would.  Bpal's sandalwood is iffy on me because it tends to turn powdery, and this is a soft, warm, creamy-powdery woods note, but I do enjoy the spicy, sharp black pepper that comes off as dark and almost cologne-like to me.  It sits very close to the skin and only lasts about 3 hours, but it's cozy and enjoyable.

Yeeep as described. I was super curious about this one because I enjoy both notes but wonder how it would be to wear alone. It started off really strong but mellows out. I definitely think this would be lovely to layer under something. It's a pepper sandalwood, lasts 3 or so hours but no more on me.

This opens with a big, sneezy blast of black pepper. I love it! It quickly mellows out into a great, peppery sandalwood. It's a cozy scent after the pepper mellows out, you can smell both notes equally, with the pepper accenting a lovely, woody, almost sensual sandalwood.