Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

Old-Fashioned Satanists

Leather, cashmere and a whiff of chamomile. Refreshingly cozy. The leather and cashmere and very well worn, very welcoming. The chamomile adds to the lulling effect. This is the scent of your grandmother as a witch. If you ever had someone make you cry, grandma is gonna make you a nice cup of tea, bake you some cookies with one hand, and then hex the underpants of whoever wronged you on the other. Because she can. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet, Old-Fashioned Satanists is predominantly chamomile tea on me, more bright and lemony than soporific. I don’t have many chamomile blends, so I wasn’t aware I amped it. After about 45 minutes the chamomile settles down enough for the leather and cashmere to emerge, and then I get the coziness I expected, but my skin chemistry is still making too much of the chamomile for me to fall in love with this one.

The reason this is so bright and lemony is because it has an unlisted bright green tea note that's much stronger than the chamomile, backed by the cashmere, a bit of patchouli, and a hint of leather. The patchouli note gains strength on me over time, so that after a few hours, it ends up smelling like chamomile green tea, patchouli, and smooth leather, accompanied by some of the coziness of the cashmere.

It is, unexpectedly, a dirtied-up green tea scent on me. Imagine Informal Tea HG with some patchouli, cashmere, and leather thrown in, and you'd get this. It's not really my cup of tea, but I had to try it because of the name! :P

This is my favorite of the Good Omens line. Warm leather, a hint of musk, and something that just smells like a tradition must be kept. I know that's odd, but whatever this note is, it evokes that feeling. I really like Old Fashioned Satanists!

cashmere makes me itchy.  all sheepwool makes me itchy.  

this reminds me of F5, and my PawPaw's old recliner. 

Spoiler

it was electric. it vibrated. when it was plugged in, it shook the whole house. so he only did it every now and then to make me laugh, when i was hurting.  he passed away in 1980, not long before i turned 3.  i think i got my love of shiny things from him and his coin collections. 

@Dark Alice's mention that this smells like a Tradition That Must Be Kept makes sense, because the smell of this made me cry. I feel like it is reminding me of something I've lost, something I've forgotten.

this is beautiful, though.  green and snuggly and familiar but not commonplace.

In the imp: tea and pot pourri on a coffee table, during a heavy rainstorm, watching as the sole inhabitant of the house snuggles deep into a cracked and worn leather armchair, smothering themselves in blankets

Wet: cotton, cashmere, and chamomile; lemon shortbreads; furniture polish

Dry: soft and comforting, like a whiff of chaos on a stupendously boring day.

Just wonderful! Surprisingly short-lived, at just under 6 hours, but with a medium throw. I'd lather next time. Instant favourite.

Stars: ★★★★★

Tea, something cologney, and something that's going a bit sour on my skin.  Perhaps the "cashmere?"  I know sometimes wool goes swampy with my chemistry. 

Ugh... Ok, that note's hard to get past.  This seems like a lightweight men's cologne sort of fragrance to my nose.  Probably pleasant without the swamp note, but not my cup of tea - so to speak.  Perhaps I'd like the smell of New-Fangled Satanists better?

After an hour, the ickiness does depart, and this becomes a pleasant blend of spicy tea and the cologne note.  It seems more dapper than homey.  Nice at this stage, but not worth wading through the swamp.

ETA - lemon grass and verbena tend to turn swampy on my chemistry. As others have mentioned a lemony note, that may well be the source of my swamp. 

Edited by VetchVesper

Someone sprayed Lemon Pledge all over some dry vanilla tea cookies. It's been over an hour (and a yoga session), and I'm not getting any other notes. This might be a nice lemony cologne for someone who likes cologney blends!

I get a good dose of lemon from this. Underneath I get a really soft worn leather and patchouli, with a delightful musky cashmere note. Warm and snuggly. As it dries I get a bit of dry chamomile with the lemon in the top. A really cozy comforting scent. I love the brightness of the lemon in it, it has an unexpected freshness. 

When I first sniffed this, I caught notes of coffee, milk chocolate, and the cozy comfort of warm, worn-in robes? But today it smells of a delicate porcelain cup of black tea brightened with a spritz of lemon, warming and softening the embossed tooling of the old leather book it is perched upon. Those wily Satanists! I can’t quite get a fix on them, but it’s a wonderful scent, either way.

I just got a bottle of this and I'm confused by how clean, sharp and cologne-like it is.  It's a sharp, watery type of cologne scent with lemony tones and a soapiness that makes me think of creamy bars of generic white soap.  A freshly scrubbed and topped off with axe body spray type of scent.  Of the listed notes, I can maybe smell a whiff of leather at first, but I get no patchouli or warmth from this scent.  It smells very chemical and clean.