Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

He'd Been an Angel Once

OH GAWD. This must have some sort of oudh in it. Because this does horrible, not-at-all-good things on my skin. After about 15 minutes, I do get whiffs of leather, rose, and incense underneath. But its like trying to go through a cloud of smog to get to the city beneath. Except this smog smells more foul than what smog used to smell like. 

But this is what oudh and agarwood tend to do on my skin. So if either of those play nice on your skin, give this a whirl.

The blend of leather, musk, vetiver, incense and brimstone just gives off this fecal vibe. It doesn't get better with time. 

I have to concur with zanzoku_zen.  There is stealth oudh, of the barnyard variety, in He'd Been an Angel Once.  Black oudh would be my guess.  I can't wear it.  If you are an oudh enthusiast, this might age into something nice, but I had to wash it off.  

In the imp: leather and skanky musk, rotting roses and talc.

Wet: I will confess to being not keen to apply this. But - I must trust that vetiver will be kind to me. Baby sick, smoke and talc at first (wtf is brimstone even made of?), and a sincere wish that the drydown blows my mind.

Dry: ... it eventually improved. Unfortunately, I threw half the bottle all over my phone. Screw you, Crowley.

A strong-tending-medium throw, and a mid-to-long life. Not convinced I like it, or that I'll wear it again, though the later stages are quite pleasant.

Stars: ★★★½ , very mixed feels

Edited by alyelle

So... if there is secret oudh in this that is unfortunate as it is definitely the p-oudh variety. Oudh works well on me but in this blend it gives off poop vibes (or the blend does). When dry, I can smell brimstone, dark leather, the barest hint of rose, but it is greatly over-powered by... poo. I find oudh takes a while to really emerge though so I'm going to wait for the dry down...
Well, if it's not oudh, it's a very dark blend. I get whiffs of leather, brimstone and musk, and fortunately, it's not poo any more.  
1 hour and a half later and the scent is almost gone, with maybe a tiny touch of "oudh" leftover. This is uncommon for proper oudh so I wonder if this blend was more of an accord.

Wow, hey c'mon. There is no oudh! Yes, the initial poof of vetiver and brimstone might be a bit overpowering, but I came here to say this settles in quite nicely somewhere near What You Want and Being Happy Are Two Quite Different Things - but sans fruits and more on the masc side. 

No issues with oudh here! Lucky for me, since this was a blind buy of the full bottle.

The inscense is very smoky, with leather and earthiness lingering underneath. To me, it invokes that little smirking smile Crowley gives in the show when handing over the book bag in the bombed church. I’m definitely a fan of this one.