Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Bathsheba

The Seventh Daughter, Daughter of the Oath. She was King David’s lover, and the mother of King Solomon. Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

FIRST SNIFF: plum, musk

WEARING IT: nice, sweet, with the tiniest hint of something fresh and green in the background. the plum and musk are definitely in the foreground of this scent.

VERDICT: i probably won't buy a bottle, but it will be nice to use as a love potion :P

I thought the dominant wet note was grape, but I see it's actually plum. I'm not getting any carnation at all. This is sweet and smells almost like something you'd buy at a department store. It smells nice, but I like scents I can deconstruct a bit, and on me, this is a very tightly blended pretty Perfume Smell.

As it warms, the spiciness comes out more-- that must be the carnation.

I've been feeling very picky about BPALS lately, trading away anything I don't absolutely love-- and this is *almost* nice enough for me to keep. It's a little too "perfumey" for me, but I know a friend who would love it. :P

In the imp: Strange, almost like I can smell each of the notes seperately in here. I try to ignore what an oil smells like in the imp/bottle though as it always changes on my skin. So, onwards ...

Wet: This is all about the plum! I am best at describing scents by comparing them to others I am afraid, so that is what I shall do here. At this wet stage on my skin it is Midwinter's Eve but without the crystaline almost fizzy quality to the plum. That means it isn't quite as tooth-achingly sweet as ME, but a softer representation.

Dry: The plum has melted into the background, and whilst I can still smell it, the carnation and musk have stepped forward, hand in hand, to create a really beautiful warmth and depth, with a touch of spice. This isn't a really complex scent, I can actually pick out individual notes in it (although I would be clueless if I didn't have the ingredients written infront of me :D ), but I think that is why it is so lovely. At this stage it smells like a slightly less biting Samhain.

I like to wear Samhain with Lush's new lotion Skin Sin, but I actually think Bathsheba would go better with it. Actually, I would describe Bathsheba exactly as Samhain meets Midwinter's Eve meets Skin Sin.

It is totally drool-worthy and I NEED a bottle of this.

For all of you missing Samhain, I think this would be a worthy replacement.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! :P

Oddly enough, I get no plum and no carnation at all from Bathsheba -- what I get is a warm, deep, sensual spicy musk that's touched with the lightest hint of something nutty and floral. There is no sweet -- just this deep musk. On me, it's like what would happen if Scherezade and Queen of Sheba had a torrid love affair and spawned Bathsheba.

I really wanted to love this. I love the plum in Bordello, I love carnation (at least, I am among the legions of Lush Potion fans), musk is good -- this should have been a knockout for me.

In the imp it's gorgeous: sweet, spicy, a little fruity, not too floral. But on me it's not like that at all. It comes up way too sweet and perfumey in a way that makes my nose itch and my head hurt. Oddly, the longer I wear it the stronger it gets. I wash it off and it's okay, but it keeps getting stronger until I have to wash it off again. And again.

I've tried it twice, just in case there was something funky going on with my chemistry the first time, but the second test was the same. Darn.

Oh well, to the swaps it goes.

This isn't something I'd have picked out for myself, but since I got it as an extra, I'll try it. Disclaimer : my chemistry seems to hate florals other than orange blossom/neroli.

In the bottle and wet : Woah carnation! Smells like burying my face in a pink, white and red carnation bouquet at the florist's. I can already tell that this is extremely not-me. But I may as well keep reviewing while it's on and I've nothing else to do.

5 min after applying, it smells like... JASMINE?! This smells exactly like our jasmine plant does when it blooms. O.o

Now this powderyness is starting to show up underneath, and something else. This reminds me of a light spring version of the Bastet I just tried. Maybe it's the musk note? It's getting more of that scent I associate with commercial perfumes.

More and more that perfumey note is showing up, and the faintest hint of something fruity.

Hm, smelling a little more like carnations again. If one likes carnations or florals in general, they'd love this. There's that slight hint of spice people keep talking about with carnations, now.

Ooh, I think I'm getting a headache. Time to get this one off.

In the bottle: Very juicy, carnation and plum with a hint of incense

First on: Carnation and sweet incense

After a bit: This is a very warm scent, the carnation now mixes nicely with a golden musk with a sweet undertone.

This is a very golden musky floral. Not my cuppa tea, but still rather beautiful.

I've been rather puzzled by this each time I've worn it. It's sweet, it's fruity, but it wasn't really working for me. I finally got round to looking up the notes tonight and I'm even more puzzled. It contains plum and a musk, so you'd think I'd love it and it would smell fantastic on me. Well, I don't and it doesn't. It doesn't smell bad on me, it's just kinda...meh. Nothing bad, but not spectacular either. I'd like to smell this on someone for whom it works well, because the blend certainly sounds good.

This is such an exotic and sensual smell. The spicy smells are enticing, and come out very strongly on me, but they are soft enough not to overwhelm. The spices blend beautifully with the hazy, feminine undertones. One of my top ten favorites of all time. The scent I've always dreamed of, so sexy and seductive. Highly addictive. :P :D

Surprise-me-imp!

Because this came with Alice and they both share carnation, in my brain this will be associated as "Alice's older teenage sister".

Imp: Spicy. Plummy.

On the desk, cause the imp got a bit spilled: Musky. I have one sexy computer desk.

On me: I soaked up that spill with WristSponge 2005 and smelled a bit like plum.

Drydown: spicy, musky, like a little black dress without an occasion.. for the moment.. :P

Impressions: Another purple. Silk, not velvet like Medea.

Verdict: If this is considered a floral, you non-floral-spicy people may enjoy this.

For me: A night time late fall/winter scent.

Side note: Carnation appears to be an entirely neutral note on me- either I'm smelling it wrong, or it just vanishes so fast I can't pick it up. I may whiff carnations when I'm next at the grocery store just to be sure. All I know is it didn't pick up in Alice, and it doesn't seem to be predominant in Bathsheba.

Mostly exotic musk on me, which I like. Wouldn't pass up another imp if it came my way, but not sure this is big-bottle-worthy.

This smelled lovely in the imp, very sweet and clean.

However, on my skin this took on a nauseating quality tinged with plastic barbies....eww....

Sorry for the ever so short (probably my shortest ever) review, but if I don't wash this off now...well....you don't want to know what might happen.

This starts out as a rich plummy, spicy, scent, with the carnation making it's appearance after a few minutes. It is the same spicy carnation as in Alice, and blends really well with the plum. It is a beautiful scent, and the plum/carnation stage lasts on me about 45 minutes, before changing into a spicy carnation/musk scent that is really nice. It is warm, fuzzy, soft around the edges with a solid core.

Bathseba starts off as a fruity scent, with a bit of 'something else' (which I, obviously, can't define) around the edges. About an hour or so in the drydown phase, It becomes more of a gentle musk.

Whoa, Nelly, plum! Plum, plum, plum. After an hour, this turns into spicy, holiday fun (I'm thinking it's the carnation, which is a bit spicy). After another hour, it becomes dry holiday spices, like that craft store smell. Later, it isn't so dry, and is still plummy. I thought I liked this, but now that I think about it, I don't like it so much. Great for the plum lover, though. Whenever the plum pops up, there's musk, and the musk makes it juicier.

Wow, this carnation has been dipped in peppery goodness. I can detect a green note in here as well and this is quite lovely not at all what I expected. As pleasantly surprised by this one as I am on a scale of 1-5....this ranks a 4 with me.

Edited by ~AmusedMuse~

I've gotten imps of this where the plum is dominant and some where the carnation is dominant. I don't love the carnation note in this. It smells like spicy, dry potpourri to me. The plum is nice, when I get a batch that is heavy on the plum. But the Arabian musk tends to ruin this one for me, in any case. If I get an imp with strong musk, it has a sharp, powdery quality that winds up giving me a headache. Like most of bpal's scents, though, this scent varies a lot and I'm never sure which version I'll get...

Edited by Little Bird

Bathsheba

In the imp: a single plum floating in perfume! (Yup, Simpsons addict here! lol)

Wet on skin: wow, that is one hell of a juicy, sweet plum! It smells so real, very sweet and fruity. There's the musk underneath, and possibly the carnation as well.

Dry on skin: oh, this is nice. This is really exotic and juicy. There's plum there, with musk and a bit of carnation. It smells slinky and seductive, it's fruity yet sophisticated.

After a while: after a moment when the plum note smells a bit weird, not as sweet as before, a bit tart, it smoothes out nicely and the musk note becomes more apparent. I love the sweet musk in this, even though it smells more 'perfume-y' than most, I don't mind. It also has a dry aspect now. It doesn't have the juiciness of the wet stage-it's now dry musk with a bit of plum and the barest hint of carnation.

Verdict: this is interesting, as this scent manages to be both juicy and sweet, and yet also sophisticated and mature. This smells like a real plum, ripened to the max and bursting with juice, but there's also the musk, which adds a seductive and exotic touch. I can't really smell the carnation that much, but it's there. I'm not sure if it's a favourite as the plum makes it a bit too sweet, but it's a very nice, exotic, slinky scent.

First Impression: Clean & crisp, a bit tart, with a hint of watery, spicy floral. It reminds me of a men's cologne but I've no idea which one.

Dries down to: A nice, pleasant blend with no distinguishable notes.

Additional Comments: I never would have guessed that this contained carnation, plum and musk as I couldn't detect any specific notes. They do blend together beautifully, but, unfortunately, the result is too light and fleeting on me. Would be lovely on a young woman, though - or, for that matter, a young man.

Lasted: Less than an hour.

Rating: 2 out of 5

Hmm, just opened the imp of Bathsheba and this is very “perfume counter” on my fingers, like I just touched one of those magazine perfume strips. When I put it on, there's a bit of fresh sweetness and then it settles down to a light perfumey scent.

I recognize the Arabian musk from Othello, and that's the strongest note on me...I think I can detect some carnation behind it, maybe, but I don't get any plum.

The commercial perfume associations make this not my thing -- the heady musk kind of makes me want to sneeze. I bet it would be nice on someone whose skin brings out the freshness of the carnation and plum, though. Off to swap.

Bathsheba is beautifully blended, soft, subtle, innocent but definitely sexy. Carnations sweetened slightly by plum with a soft scent of musk underneath. Very nice!

Bathsheba

In the bottle: Yup, dept store perfume counter! A hint of plum, but mainly just generic flower.

On me/wet: Carnation, first off! Spicy, kind of dry. :P Then magically, plum starts coming in, and the two of then meld into a sweet, spicy, kind of craft store scent. Almost powdery, but not.

Drydown: Although I love Bordello, I didn't really like the plum note in Midwinter's Eve. This smells like ME to me, where I feel like I'm standing inside a Michael's. I like the spicy kick to this one, but the plum is just to cloyingly sweet.

I'll stick with my Bordello, thanks.

This is one of my favories. When I smelled it it was just perfectly Leigh.

In the Bottle: Mmmm musky plum! This has definite possibilities.

Wet on Skin: Mmmm musky carnation. This is jazzy and sultry. I imagine Nina Simone wrearing this. At first I can't get the plum like in the bottle.

Drydown: Ok plumy, musky, carnationy & tantalizing, exquisitely feminine, deliciousness. This one makes me go all gaga. I like it on myself from time to time but I love it on Leigh. I will dab a bit on my hand for smelling during the day to remind me of Leigh. When she wears it though it is like Love Potion #9. Whatever I am doing loses all meaning and urgency. Must... sniff... must do naughty things...

Verdict: If you like carnations and Arabian musk you will love this. This stuff is down right dangerously tantric. Guys get this for your ladies, ladies get it for yourselves or your ladies. Must have for any sexually liberated female.

Bathsheba:

Wet: mm, carnation.

Drydown: still very highly carnation.

Longterm wear: I never did smell the plum that everyone was talking about. I'll have to give this another try. It does, however, remind me of my mother's carnations.. they were always her favorite. Amazing how a smell intertwines with memory, isn't it?

When I got an imp of this, it had Delphi smashed and spilled all over it, and I thought Bathsheba's sweet, pleasing scent was from an infiltration of Delphi. But no! It is all its own. This is a nice scent :] Very light and sweet, a little fruity and foodsy.