Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Bathsheba

The Seventh Daughter, Daughter of the Oath. She was King David’s lover, and the mother of King Solomon. Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

In the Bottle:
Dominant notes: Carnation and plum!
Impressions: These notes are suprisingly beautiful together! The carnation is a beautiful, spicy floral, and the plum is lush and juicy. I couldn't imagine these two together, but really they are perfect in the bottle.

Initial On:
Dominant notes: Carnation and musk.
Impressions: The plum has taken a strange hiatus, and the musk and carnation make this a very spicy blend all of a sudden. It's still lovely, simple, straighforward and sexy.

After a While:
Persistent notes: Carnation, musk, and the plum does come back, making this spicy, juicy and warm - very sexy and luscious.
Staying power: Very good - I think that the two strong base notes create this effect. Lasts for hours with good throw.

Overall Impressions:
A beautiful, simple, in-your-face blend. Because the major note is Carnation, the floral in this is spicy and subtle. The arabian musk is very spicy after it warms, and the plum adds a lush, sexy dimension. Damn, yeay - this is downright sexy. Simple, warm, and attractive. It's fantastic.

This blend is all about sweet, sexy innocence, initially I can smell the plum, but its not a juicy plum but more of an accent to the carnation. On me the spices are subtle but there, the carnation in this seems a little muted to me. It didnt react as it did in Alice.

I thought it was quite lovely but its quite subtle, and it stayed pretty much close to my skin.

Oh carnation lovers rejoice! Another beautiful blend!

The original poster pretty much summed up my experience with Bathsheba.

Bottle:

Carnation and a tangy sweetness that comes from the plum, though I couldn't really "smell" plum per se. I just knew it was there because of its effects on the blend.

Wet:

The juicy plum seems to dominate with the carnation dirfting in to balance out the sweetness. It sort of smells like the blue sweet tarts.

Dry:

Carnation and musk! I am not familiar with Arabian musk, but it's light (not white musk light) and very subtle, though still commands a very beautiful presence. It has settled down to a nice musky scent, and the sweetness of the plum has now faded into the backdrop.

Verdict:

I liked it in all stages, but was a little disappointed with the sweet tarts phase. Fortunately, it changed into the scent I was really hoping it would be and now I am absolutely in love. Big bottle here I come!

This was a generous giftie from the Lab. I didn't look up the notes until after I had dabbed a tiny bit on, so my review miht sound a little odd.

In the vial it smells like a very sweet, bright floral with a bit of fruity-ness, also bright, almost apple-y. Once on my skin, poof! Bright, nose tingling spice. And Floral. This stuff is strong. As time went by the overwhelming, thick floral died down into a slightly floral, rich and warm spice. It vaguely reminds me of the opening nose-tingle (very technical term, isn't it? :P ) I get when I smell Coco, only Bathsheba is stronger.

Bathsheba smells very, very good, a great balance between the floral, spicy, and warm elements. After about an hour (and 2 washings of my wrist) it is still there, and has a very slight luscious fruit undertone. But, to my nose anyway, it is definitely a night on the town kind of scent, and too mature for me (I'm 23).

I would imagine a 35+ year old woman wearing this to the opera (this is probably popping into my head because I saw Moonstruck the other day), a woman who knows herself and has the presence and sassiness to carry this off. Also when I smell this, the word 'expensive' pops into my head.

This something very sinister about this fragrance. It is haunting. I believe that it has a magic on its own. The musk in this fragrance is very alluring. This blend is very sexually charged. :P

This blend is very sexually charged.  :P

I have to agree 100% with that statement.

I wore Bathsheba tonight to the club, and had put a little on my fan (the smell of the popcorn they were giving away at the bar was making me ill) to sweeten the air around me.

I was hit on more tonight than I have been in *months*, and they all seemed fascinated by my fan.

The scent.. ohmy.

Warm spiced musk. Definitely smells expensive and decadent.

The carnation is hiding on me, though it's peeking out just enough to add to the spiciness. The plum is making me think of honeysuckle for some reason.

I bought a 5ml of this one unsniffed, and I'm very glad, because I'd have hated to wait another month for it - this is a glorious blend.

:D :D

Bathsheba, This blend is delicate and beautiful! :P I get the carnation and plum real good, the plum I think is what softens it. A perfect scent for after one has bathed or showered by the way. It does fade on me quickly though so I guess I have to slather to get good results. Another keeper! :D

In the imp:

It has that green scent that all of Beth's light scents seem to have, but with a clove underlay, sortof like those spiced honeysticks on my skin it's pretty much absorbed. Nice, but like a sweet warm green, like that florist's scent, but sweeter and less strong.

I think the musk is beginning to come out to come out a bit, very warm.

As time passes, it gets warmer and spicier/clove-ier. It's really, really nice, but I can't do musk. I gambled and lost on this.

In the vial- sweet, round, a little spicy. Is it fruity? Is it floral? Oh yeah, it's both. I can't wait to put this on.

wet- carnation. me likey. soft and sweet with a peppery kick.

drydown- Sophisticated and warm. Just a little sexy. It's playful and seductive, and not in the least overpowering.

wearing- this blend does stay very close to the skin. it's very comforting.

verdict- i think i could wear this on a job interview. it's perfect for my everyday tastes, and has already been ordered in 5 ml for me.

Looks like my beloved Kali has some serious competition.

ETA: this is my "mommy" perfume!!!! my son LOVES IT, and is very well behaved when i wear it. he seems, calmer. which is fitting, as his name is... omg... Solomon.

Edited by sheelanagig

Sweet and spicy and subtly exotic. All of the notes stayed twined around one another...my nose couldn't even pick out the carnation, which usually dominates any blend on me.

Alas, it made me quite itchy and is winging it's way to a new home even now.

This is really nice on. I love carnation and plum, as well as musk, so I knew I'd like this. It's not a very complex scent. Basically just a fruity musk with carnation in the background. This is a very nice every day scent for me. I love it.

i ordered a 5mL of this unsniffed because all of the notes were right. :P

i kept sniffing the bottle, but i only got a faint green smell that didn't do much for me. i took a chance and put it on my skin, though, and it immediately bloomed into a fruity, sexy smell. there isn't much to say about this one because it's so simple. this is very unoffensive, but it isn't as light as i was expecting it to be going off the reviews. this is the kind of perfume that would be nice on a casual date with someone you don't know very well.

Edited by diabolique

First Impression: :P

Second Impression: This is perhaps the most romantic of all the blends that I've tried. The notes work so harmoniously together, I can tell what they are but no a one stands out more than another. This is a beautiful princess staring out of her castle window dreaming of the day her prince comes. This is romantic, innocent and sensual.

Final Analysis: Sensual and not too far from innocence, a perfume ad-line once went. It suits Bathsheba perfectly. I'm so happy I got a bottle of this. It smells just wonderful on me and puts me in such a dreamy mood.

Spicey carnation and juicy plum, this is fresh, sensual, clean... and I guess just does nothing for me. I really really want to love this, but the carnation fades out and leaves faint plum and not much else and overall my chemistry turns this into something just sort of bleh rather than something stunning. It's alittle too innocent and not enough sophisticated for what I expected and I think that alone is just making me sad. Off to swaps since someone should adore this.

I can imagine Bathsheba fresh from her bathing ritual with carnation and plum scented oils, then anointing herself with sensual musk. On me, the plum and musk shine, with the carnation very softly in the background, adding a hint of spice. On the drydown, the fruitiness of the plum fades a little and the musk gently radiates. So beautifully sweet and clean!

Edited by ViolentKitten

Initial Impression:

A warm, slightly tart floral

After Wearing It:

SOOO GLAD I BOUGHT A BIG BOTTLE OF THIS UNSNIFFED!!!

*ahem* :P anyway....... Wet this smelled primarily of Arabian Musk, which I've grown to love through Beth's blends. It's warm, rich and slightly spicy without being too over powering. I could smell the plum at the core, and it was sweet and juicy and slightly tart. It reminded me of a younger woman, someone beautiful and sensual, but wasn't really aware of it yet. Sweet innocence yes, but there's a bit of danger in that because she hasn't learned the strength of her own ability to draw (sometimes unwanted) attention.

As it dries the plum and carnation notes really start to come out, and they strike out almost singularly, and I could alternately smell each note on its own, pulsing like flashes of light. It was like watching a dancer who had several panels of brightly colored gauze in her costume and as she twirls you are exposed to each color in a dazzling show. This continues for about an hour before the notes settle down and blend to together to create a masterpiece of a fragrance that is rich and smooth with a velvety texture. The scent is sweet and juicy without being too much, musky without smelling sweaty or animalistic, and with that lovely clove/floral twist that comes with a good carnation component. The blend stayed this way for hours, wearing very well and evenly, still lingering even as I went to bed. Fabulous!

Final Thoughts:

Bathsheba is such an utterly gorgeous blend. I knew from the description immediately that I had to have it, but I was still surprised by just how lovely this was upon wearing it. It has magnificent staying power, has good throw, and is intoxicating enough to tempt me to wear it every day. Will definitely be added to my regular rotation.

I've had an imp of this for a while now but didn't review it because it really didn't make much of an impression on me at first. I think part of that was due to the fact that I was anticipating the arrival of this imp so damned much. I just love carnation, and then Beth had to go and mix it with musk and plum....*drools* Nothing could have lived up to the awesome expectations I had of this blend!

Now that I've had nearly a month to make friends with this, I really do love it. It's much more subtle and innocent than I had guessed it would be. This is not a blend with agressive throw, and it makes an absolutely perfect "every day" perfume that you can wear to the office or when meeting someone new without fear of offending. I was expecting something more exotic, but that just isn't an adjective that pops into mind for this one.

Carnation is one of those florals that even non-floral people can enjoy. It's soft and spicey. The plum brings a wonderful depth to the blend while the musk provides just a tiny glimmer of sexiness.

Utterly beautiful, very feminine, and slightly suggestive. I look forward to having a big bottle of this!

Your faith was strong,

but you needed proof,

you saw her bathing on the roof,

her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya.

Gotta dig out the Leonard Cohen records, now.

Bathsheba is soap-and-water clean, spicy floral with a bit of fruit. It works on the part of your brain that makes you suddenly want to bite someone, even if you had no specific intentions to start out with.

Alright, I'm so mad at myself for not buying this one unsniffed, but ah well, I have so many imps to try hopefully, that will make the time pass quickly.

First impression: Huh, sweet roses and spice. I was about to put this one back for a day when I was in a rosey mood. Went to the website, no roses, must be my funky nose.

Second impression...YOWSA! Carnations abloom, for some reason I'm seeing pink ones, golden delicious musk and just the slightest bit of a dark purple sweetness from the plum. Lovely, in a very sensual (not sexual) way. For some reason, I am seeing a woman dancing provocatively in front of a bonfire at sunset.

Final thoughts....This is a very "sunset" type fragrance. You get the pink from the carnation, the golden from the Arabian musk and the purple from the plum. My husband enjoyed this on me immensely. Don't get me wrong, that's just for color scheme. This is very much an "anytime" fragrance, one to put on when you want to feel sexy and golden. Male reaction was VERY favorable for those who want to know.

One side note, however, I can't see this being a "gender neutral" fragrance, as described, but perhaps that's just me...

First sniff: Strong, confident floral, edged with jasmine. Bathsheba has the same confident purple feeling I always associate with orchid… but here, apparently, it’s plum, and there’s no jasmine in sight. OK, nose, work with me here. It’s fruity-sweet, with a deeper base, but the overview is floral.

Wearing: Oh, dear heavenly wow. I am in love. Sweet and soft and round and ripe and damn. My Yule order is kicking ass all around.

Bathsheba: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

While I am a big fan of both plum and musk, I'm indifferent when it comes to carnation. I decided to give this one a try just to see what would happen.

It didn't really strike me in the vial or drying down as anything other than "pretty", nothing bad but nothing really spectacular.

After that, though, I really can't say. Less than ten minutes later, every last drop of scent was gone. I even had Caitfish smell to make sure I wasn't on crack, but no, she couldn't smell any, either.

I have the monster pretty-floral-eating-skin.

Bathsheba was warm with musk, carnation, and a hint of spice. I did not scent any plum (to my great disappointment).

This blend was more flowery than I had anticpated and quickly faded into a bland musky warmth without any distinguishing notes.

The carnation and plum are well-met equals in this blend. It is sweet, but also sophisticated and deep - which is probably the effect of the musk. I kept sensing rose in the dry down, but that is not listed as a note in this blend. The final scent was soft and powdery.

For me, this would be a "going out" scent rather than a "daily wear" scent

In the bottle: This is quite soft and sweet. A bit non-descript.

Wearing: Ooh ooh! The plum! It's still sweet, but very deep and juicy. The carnation gives its usual spicy performance, but unlike most carnations I've smelled, this is otherworldly. It's floral, but...different. The musk is very understated and serves to add more depth.

Later: OK, this is bizarre. It's juicy, but at the same time very dry. It's a lot more robust than it smells in the vial.

Overall: I love this! This is right up there with New Orleans on my favorite floral scents list. It's definitely very exotic and quite lovely. Keeping the imp!

Woah. Fruity and peppery, and *wonderful*. I got it as a gift imp from the lab, and wow, they clearly knew something I didn't.

I generally don't like florals, but carnation is the exception, it's so spicy and womanly. The plum gives it a sweetness so the carnations aren't all funeral-like, and the musk holds it all together and draws out the dry down into fruity spicy skin-ness.