Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

Let’s talk about Oudh...

Mods - I’ve tried searching this section for an oudh topic, but it seems even the forum thinks oudh is a dirt word,... it brings up nada! Please merge if a topic exists!

So! I am an oudh fan! I love the oudh in Paris Gargoyles, Shadow Embrace, Pumpkin Musk... I don’t like the oudh in First Morning in Paris. Does anyone know if there’s a difference, or is it simply the other notes that give the oudh the sex appeal it has in those three?

Does anyone else have a similar experience? If so, what other oils have the sexy oudh in them?

I love oudh in its many incantations: oud, aquilaria agallocha, agarwood...there are differences, for sure. Tricksy is my holy grail! I also love Gingerbread Oud, Nasty Woman, & Deuteronomy 10:18. I haven't tried the ones you've mentioned but I know Snake's Shadow's black oude, which may be in Pumpkin Musk and Black Oude, too, was stronger and funkier on me. First Morning in Paris has burgandy oude, which I don't see listed in anything else. It may also have to do with quantity and the other notes it's playing with.

Edited by lookingglass

Yay oudh! 

I haven’t tried all the types (maybe just a small few even), but I love it in the ones I have. A Masked Ball of the Most Unusual Magnificence is awesome, aging splendidly. I reeeeally love Deut. 10:18 (my partner stole it for his sig. scent though lol) 

I noticed the other reviews of First Morning in Paris said it is a funky one... I also noticed sometimes with aging the funk is tamed, but haven’t done the experiment myself. I’m hoping that’s the case, because I want to grab Snake’s Shadow, but don’t want it to be a barnyard smelly Snake (thus my hope of aging=awesome).

ooohhh now I really want Gingerbread Oudh! And I need to try Nasty Woman...

For my oudh fwends (and it doesn’t look like there are many 😂), ‘A Complex, Wiggly Sigil’ from the the new Good Omens range has the good oudh in it. Smooth and to die for! 😍😍

3 hours ago, Nymph87 said:

For my oudh fwends (and it doesn’t look like there are many 😂), ‘A Complex, Wiggly Sigil’ from the the new Good Omens range has the good oudh in it. Smooth and to die for! 😍😍

Oudh fwends!

I think BPAL makes an oudh blend for everybody.

My favorite oudhs are the less indolic ones. In A Flaming Sword, the note is called "sweet oudh."  In Entertaining the Heian Court Maiden, it's called "honey oudh." Entertaining is one of my top 10 blends ever.

The more indolic oudhs (that edges over into barnsmell on my skin,) have lots of fans, too.  In Bestla it's called "rose oud," & in First Morning in Paris it's called "Burgundy oudh."