Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Yggdrasil

Wet: This has a medicinal, herbal, yet burnt woods smells to it. Something like menthol and burnt cedar.. and sawdust?

Dry: Whatever herbal note is in here, my skin is amping up like mad. Kind of an herbal Vick's vapor rub scent, mixed with sawdust.

Unfortunately this is very Vick's vapor rub on me as well, especially at the onset. I like the cedar note once it dries down, but I don't think I can actually wear this successfully. I love forest scents, but to me, Yggdrasil ends up more herbal than forest-y.

Edited by feyofthefellwood
spelling

Yggdrasil:

In the imp: Medicinal, eucalyptusy, strongly herbal.

Wet on skin: Vick’s Vap-o-Rub for sure! Giving it time to dry and start doing its thing with my skin chemistry…

Dry: Unfortunately on me, this one goes straight from the Vicks stage to the non-existent stage. Arrgh!

In the imp: Something very menthol, but not exactly menthol; it might be wintergreen. Ash, bay (or bay leaf, perhaps), and sage are the only other single notes I can identify.

Wet: I don't love applying oils with no notes listed, in case cinnamon or cinnabark somehow worked its way in - I can't always smell them, and I hate finding out via the surprise welts that appear all over my skin. Still, here goes: oak, laurel, probably bay tree rather than bay leaf, ash, sage, mint or river-mint, and possibly eucalypt.

Dry: For all of those 27 notes mentioned in the description, none of them stand out over the others. This is a gorgeously blended herbal with a soft base of woods, perfect for stormy weather; it feels like being tucked away inside a dim apothecary's as it pours outside, working your way through cracked leather textbooks as you sip chamomile tea.

Long lived, at around the 10 hour mark, with a medium to mild throw. I'd considered half a star less, but I'm still thinking about it a full week later, so I think it's earned all five.

Stars: ★★★★★

Wet: Very herby, very green, kinda minty. As it dries, the woodiness comes out. I think this is very fitting for a tree-based scent. My nose burns a little bit.

More dry: Very sandalwoody. My office says I smell like an Indian grocer. One of my co-workers thought I was eating curry at 8:30 in the morning.

Not my cup of tea. (My imp is of unknown age.)

Another wood/forest type scent. Fresh, almost like a pine/cedar bathroom cleaner but pleasant and not too overwhelming. Slight citrus 

Alas, all I can smell out of this is a very sharp kind of wood varnish? Or maybe polish? It's chemical and not at all nature-y like the other reviews, and strong enough to cover up any herb. This performs way better in an oil diffuser than on my skin, where it's the comfy, dry, light woodsy herbal blend that other people talk about.

Like standing in a clearing in the woods, specifically a mixed deciduous and evergreen wood a little up into the mountains or hills in late autumn on a dry day (where it's been dry for at least a few days because nothing smells damp). There's a good mix of trees, but they're all layering over each other, and the green herbal smells of the underbrush are mingled in with them.

There is no one tree or herb that is yelling to be heard, but the overall blend is very evocative of a place.