Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
LiberAmoris

La Death Darkness Black Black Hats

The darkest and deathiest of black black hats: inky grey cashmere, tobacco-stained leather, and a feathery plume of bay leaf, opoponax, and sandalwood.

Whoooooa...don't sleep on this one. I find leather can be overpowering in many blends, even though I enjoy it. Not here. Tobacco, leather, and sandalwood lovers rejoice. La Death Darkness is smoky, spicy, and just a touch sweet. It veers unisex. Only the sultriest black black hats here.

*sniff* I uhhh... *sniff sniff*

Alright, so this one I get a ton of cashmere, which smells luxe AF, tobacco, bay leaf, and it smells just like a dapper guy. And I'm going to try this sucker on mr. zee_zee because this is his type of blend. Sophisticated, slightly neutral/manly. Good throw and wear length.

Immediate Win. This one had the best name out of the Singularities, but the fact it's actually a knockout scent too? Hell yeah. 

I've never smelled cashmere before but it's reminding me a bit of a cozy, expensive sort-of-skin musk. The tobacco is the leaf kind, not the sticky shisha kind, which is a blessing; shisha turns sickly on me. It's perfectly balanced with the leather, which plays a gorgeous supporting role here. As it dries, the tangy brightness of the bay leaf comes out and dances with the smoky undercurrent of sandalwood and leather. It's reading as juicy dried cranberries. Imagine the dried fruits note from Voluminous Red Blanket and you've got it. 

This is exquisitely blended, no divas here. Not too much of a morpher, either. Right out of the gate it's an absolute stunner. It doesn't tack as any one season (I would wear this year-round), and I can already tell this is going to be a "my skin but better" blend. I would put this on the masculine side of center, but not overly so. It's inviting, sophisticated, and mysterious.

If you enjoyed A Tattooed Woman Embraces the God of Thunder and Nimue the Blood Queen but wished they were a scooch more masculine, try this. 

Really looking forward to telling people what it's called when they ask me what I'm wearing. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

oddly sweet, old soap/poutpourri? maybe this is the cashmere?

I can't even nail down any of the notes with my nose --- definitely no leather

In the decant: Very clean tobacco leaf -- so clean it's almost tea -- and opoponax and leather. 

On my skin:

Wet -- such tobacco! My skin tends to amp tobacco anyway, but this is beautiful and not nauseating. As it dries, it softens a bit, and the leather and opoponax peek out -- though the scent is still tobacco-dominant. 

Yep. A tobacco scent that is very clean, very expensive, and slightly subdued on me. (To be fair, tobacco on me is generally more like, "I WILL ACCOST YOUR SENSES AND RIP OUT YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS THROUGH YOUR NOSE HOLES!" so it makes sense that I'm still getting mostly tobacco from this.) Tobacco hits the stereotypically masculine button for me, but it's very easy for me to read this particular scent as unisex. 

Medium throw. Will update with wear length estimate. 

Edit: After a few hours, this does settle down so that the cashmere becomes evident, but it's still expensive tobacco leaf in an expensive cashmere sweater. I can detect both notes, but the tobacco is the more assertive. Also, while it stays tobacco-dominant to the end, its wear length is pretty average on me. 

Edited by torischroeder9

Oh WOW! I passed this by when it first came out, thinking it would be darker and too masculine for me. This takes be immediately back to my childhood. My Mom would buy the glass jars of Lipton instant ice tea. I hated to drink it, but loved the scent of the powder just after the paper was torn off the top and a "poof" of tea smoke would rise above. I'm getting little wiffs of that experience, along with the smoothness of gorgeous cashmere. The leather is rich and smooth in the background, mixing with the tobacco it really does smell expensive! 

Edited by Jenjin

La Death should have been a slam dunk on me, and in fact the later drydown is super gorgeous, but this hits my skin and turns weirdly sour.  I'm not sure what the culprit is -- maybe whatever makes the cashmere inky gray?  At any rate, some thing or combination here is not meshing well with my skin.  I'm not really able to pick out the leather, the tobacco is sharp instead of smooth, it just doesn't go right on me.  And then a couple hours later it all came together in a lovely, soft, dark unisex way.  If the drydown could be reached earlier on my skin, I'd be all in.