Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Tenochtitlan

The greatest of all Aztec cities, and capital of their empire. Amber, hyssop, coriander, epazote, Mexican sage, prickly pear and Mexican tulip poppy.

Very sweet, warm and spicy, with all the notes melded together, so I can't identify anything distinct. Not green, not herbal, a floral oriental fragrance I think. As it dries, it bears (on me) a strong similarity to BCBG Sexy. Lasts a good couple hours.

In Bottle: Cactus

On Skin: It smells like a fresh cut cactus, I watched a friend cook one and this is what I smelled. Very sweet yet with a herbal spice. The sage is very strong, as is the coriander. This is a very green and planty smell, perfect for someone looking for a fresh, vibrant, live outdoorsy scent. Exotic and exciting, a gorgeous scent.

First impression: I can't pick out any individual notes at all but the blend is a gorgeous herby floral, that's not at all "perfume-y"; it's more of a wildflower blend with a juicy heart and a slight dusting of sweetness. Really, really nice but doesn't last long at all.

Dries down to: The same.

Lasted: 1/2 an hour

Rating: 3 out of 5 (I would normally rate it lower because it doesn't last at all, but I really like this one a lot.)

mmmMmmmmmm....

I decided I should try this because I love Corazon so, so much and thought that this might have a similar feel to it, with the Mexican herbs and fruit. While it is a very different scent it does beautifully capture that slightly spicy, desert fruit and herb scent that I love.

I was VERY excited by the inclusion of coriander as it is my favorite herb and I use it in virtually everything that I cook. I love the smell of it and I can sense it in this blend, in the background -- like a garden of exotic herbs and cacti is blooming in the sun. These kind of scents love my skin. The coriander comes through as it does when I buy it fresh -- a cool, refreshing splash of scent. There is an underlying current of very fresh, warm air and water in the background in this blend, beneath the rich, ripe fruit and heady poppy.

The amber is a warm, golden sunny aura that helps to waft and carry the other fragrances. The pear does come across something like pineapple -- when we buy prickly pears at the supermarket they smell and taste a little like very rich, sweet watermelon, but a little tangier. I think I can sense that, in this blend.

There's something a little overwhelming and heady in the vial and when I first put it on -- I guess that would be the poppy. I think it could potentially be a headachey scent but I am digging the other aromas so much that I don't mind right now! I think I will wear this when I go to my favorite Mexican restaurants -- though since I visit one at least once a week I will be out of my imp very fast at that rate! :P

I would highly recommend this scent as a starter for those like myself who profess not to like florals.

It is so fresh and light. I suppose that an affinity for Central American Indian culture could help (the name and the cactus was why I snagged this on a total whim), but this is really a lovely, light summer scent. I like the way the notes are not overwhelming and it is mostly just sweet and clean.

Another for the long-term bottle list.

Tenochtitlan

Opening - Green amber.

Watery, tart, sweet and fruity.

I haven't spent much time in the southwest, and I'm not familiar with the smells of indigenous plants there, but I can easily imagine this smelling of them.

I also get some bubblegum, but it's not too strong or unbalancing.

1 hour later - a strong fruity drink, with a green base and bubblegum in the background, like a 'tween travelling with her parents in Mexico or Arizona.

I can imagine there being cactus juice in this.

I'd actually like to see how this smelled while I was at a good Mexican restaurant. I think it would be a good counterpoint fragrance.

I got bubblegum right away, but it now smells wonderfully juicy and sweet, with a hint of tartness. I still haven't found a really sage-y scent yet but Tenochtitlan is certainly very nice anyway! It smells ALIVE.

Good heavens! I put on Tenochtitlan about 5 minutes ago and it's just astounding!! I ordered it mainly because I've loved Beth's other Aztec blends (Centzon Totochtin and Xiuhtecuhtli) to distraction. I was afraid of the fruit and sweet factors, but Lordy Mercy, it's delightful! I think it's the coriander that makes it airy/slightly minty without going ozone and the prickly pear that makes it juicy/watery without going aquatic. As it dries down, I'm losing much of that as it goes a bit drier and sagey. Really amazing for something that smelled like bubblegum in the imp. ...Ok, twelve minutes now and it's fading really

fast.....noooooooooooooooo!

Over an hour later - It's still there, thank goodness. (I think I experienced a "false fade" due to having my wrist attached to my nose for so long. How embarrassing.)

I think I'll have to get a bottle of this to have a cute little collection of the Aztec blends.

:P

I think I want to wrap myself up in this lovely smell.

Imp: Fruity-spicy-amber

On me: Amberish with a twang of green

Drydown: Ohmigod yum. Lots of delicious amber touched with a spicy fruit.

Verdict: More pls! :P

First impression: light and fruity, a bit lemon like or some tropical fruit. Very nice.

Dry: Ok, the description doesn’t help much, because I don’t know a lot of notes in it, but I recognise the pear plus something that keeps it from being cloying. Instead, it’s rather fresh for a fruit scent, as I said, like there lemon in it. I like this a lot!

This is a true summer scent, lovely. This would be great on a hot day, or night. Mmmm, probably a bottle next summer...

teno.jpg

It is pleasant, inoffensive, good for day wear, good for when you would not like to stand out in a crowd. Other than that I can't say much about it because it just doesn't seem to have much of a personality. It's well blended but nothing is standing out here.

This is an amazing blend. For some reason I didn't think I would like this one, but Beth and the lab knew better and generously included it in my last order. I can't really pick out any of the notes beyond pear. It dries down green, fresh, with the slightest creamy scent. I visited the ruins in Mexico earlier this year and this scent just brings back the feeling of awe standing there. Just beautiful!

Wet in the imp, this was ... bubblegum? I smelled it myself, thought that, and after dispelling it as crazy my roomate took a whiff and gleefully exclaimed "Bubblegum!" as well.

It mellows out a bit drying down. While I recognized the sweetness, it took a peek at other reviews to realize the other element I'm sniffing is herbal. It's not a drugstore, mortar-and-pestle type of herbal, and it really tempers the "whoa, nelly!" sweetness that you get during applying.

Overall, it's very bright, warm, and sweet without being cloying. I'm not familiar with notes by any means, and in light of that the first thing it reminds me of is the smell of skin that's been in the sun most of the day, and I'm not talking about suntan oil, but the actual skin. That said, this is a very subtle scent, and even with me supposedly slathering it on it's remained remarkably light.

In more abstract terms this scent is a saturated golden green in my mind.

Whether or not I get a big bottle, I'll definitely use up the imp, and probably a little too quickly, too. :P

In the bottle: This is a sweet fruity fragrance (normally not a good thing since BPAL fruity fragrances smell like bubble gum to me, but this one is quite nice) with a bit of a funky musk underneath. The funky musk sort of worries me. I am actually able to pick up the cactus and epazote, which makes me feel very proud of myself.

First on: Well, that funky smell seems to be gone, which is good. This is a lovely warm tropical scent on my skin. It reminds me of Cozumel.

Dry: Num num num num num.

Overall: The first fruity BPAL I've actively liked. W00T!

This is a bright, clear fruit scent. It's warm and juicy and sweet without ever smelling artificial. Tenochtitlan stays very close to my skin, with barely any throw - I have to move my wrist within a few inches of my nose to smell it, but I kind of like that. It makes it feel intimate and special - only people I allow to smell this on me will.

This doesn't last overlong (5-6 hours, maybe), and doesn't have a huge punch of scent to it, but I really like it, and I'm glad I tried it.

As a Spanish teacher, I had to try all the Wanderlust scents stemming from Hispanic countries, so I snapped this one up in an LJ purchase.

In the bottle: Hmm...kind of sharp, kind of sour on the first pass. Then I start to pick up the spices. But there's something lingering in the background that I find unpleasant...could be the hyssop, could be the epazote.

Wet: On my skin it turns sweeter. I can pick out the amber, sage and maybe the tulip. There's a heat to this one that I kind of like.

Drydown: Now I'm getting the coriander, some odd note I can't identify (the pear?), and the combination almost smells cinnamon-y. I think it lasts a little longer on me than for some others who have reviewed, but it's still gone within a few hours.

Verdict: It's an interesting metamorphosis, but not love at first sniff. For me the green notes clash with the spices rather than blend. To the swap pile!

In the imp: Very unusual and exotic! Cactus, coriander, amber. Love it!

Initial application: Big, green whiffs of cactus, coriander and the hyssop. I love coriander and hyssop, so I am in heaven. I'm also picking up a pear-like sweetness.

Dry down: Oh no, amber, that 400-pound gorilla on my body chemistry, just came in and shoved all the notes out of the way. The amber is just sitting there, heating up more and more. So sad... I want my green scents back! :D

3-4 hours later: The amber didn't explode as badly on my body as some scents and it's mellowed a bit, allowing for some other notes to emerge. I still get the pear and a little bit of green, herbal scent. However, all the initial promise of this scent was destroyed by my body's predicatable reaction to amber.

For someone who likes southwesterny herbals and can wear amber without it flaring up on your body, this could be really gorgeous. It won't be for me, but I'd love to smell it on the right person -- it would be refreshing and exotic.

valentina :P

This one has a minty, almost urinal cake scent to it right out of the bottle. ><

I put it on anyway.....

Yup. Dead flowers and minty unrinal cakes. Yet, after a while it fades to a really lovley powdery scent.

I'm not sure I like this one, need more time with it.

My friend, Leanne loves the way thisone smells on my skin.

**ETA: 2/08/2009**

Just revisiting this scent.....going to sniff it again now that I'm more familiar with BPAL.

In the imp: Sage and pear

On my skin: A strong pear note mixed with a fresh, herbal smelling sage. As this dries there's sort of a medicinal/plastic scent to this. I can see what I meant years ago by describing it as having a "urinal cake" sort of scent :P

Dry: Dry this isn't powdery to me, it's sweet and still has a sort of medicinal feel to it. Yeah, it really reminds me of public restrooms. So sad.

Edited by Monster

I was 'frimp'ed' this by the lab in my last order (thanks, lab!). This imp is puzzling to me. I can notice a whole number of fragrances, but can't pick a single one out! My overall impression is of Mexico- green, slightly herby and this makes me think of tequila. It is piquant and fresh. Dang, I do not like being totally not able to pick out even one note! Beth, your art of the blend is beyond amazing! I like this though, and wish it stayed on my skin and lingered a bit more.

Mmmm, Tenochtitlan smells like a southwest summer. Like a prickly pear cocktail. Or a fruity, aloe-y, herbal amber. I've been dabbing from my imp in the spirit of the dog days of summer, and it's very refreshing.

If a sunset over an arid desert had a smell, it would be Tenochtitlan!

The first few minutes of Tenochtitlan is all about fruity candy on my skin. Very sweet, very very fruity.

Fortunately, the initial sweetness fades back considerably on the drydown and the floral notes push forward. They are gorgeous...sweet, but subtle while retaining a wee bit of the opening fruitiness. Mmmm I'm really love it. I'm getting a little of the mint and some other type of herb. It doesn't smell like coriander, but then again it might be....I also seem to get some cinnamon in here. The middle notes of this perfume do a very interesting morph from floral to spicy/herbal. How does Beth do that???

The base of Tenochtitlan is very mellow, creamy and subtly amberish. The lasting power and the throw of this fragrance are pretty strong.

I love the Lab for throwing this into my order as a gift, and I'm definitely considering a full bottle.

Tenochtitlan starts out sweet and bright. It smells green, but not in a traditionally floral or herby way. It's sweet aloe and cactus, as others have mentioned. Within 10-15 minutes the sweetness fades, is replaced by a spicey (do I detect cinnamon?) warm amber, and is completely gorgeous. These Aztec blends, on my billy, they're keepers! I'm going to need a bottle to keep Xiuhtecuhtli company.

Very odd start: fresh and springy and kind of herby. Tropical pear, maybe--but reminiscent of Juicy Fruit, a bit. Becomes much less artificial quickly. Stays fresh and light, fruit and herbs. Drying, still very light, clean--I would tend to say so much so that it's soapy, but it's not soapY, it just resembles soap because it's so detergent-y fresh. Very pretty, very office-wear-appropriate, but not very me.

I haven’t reviewed this yet even though, or perhaps because, it is hands-down my favorite bpal. There’s something highly addictive about this – I wear other bpals frequently, but I wear this at least 2 times a week or I go into withdrawals! :P

In the bottle, I recall my first sniff was bubblegum – thought that was weird. I was actually indifferent to it on the first day I wore it. Now it is definitely warm, sweet and sunny. I love to wear this on dark overcast days as it transports me somewhere warm and bright. The notes are well-blended and mostly unfamiliar to me, so I’m not sure which ones I’m picking up, but it’s a bit fruity so perhaps the prickly pear, and probably the poppy.

The throw is fairly short, but the staying power is long. This is perfect for me because I can put a lot on for me to sniff without having it spill over to my office mates’ atmosphere.

I highly recommend this!