Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Snake Eyes Gleaming in Spring’s First Twilight

Snake Oil and threads of pale lavender with shadowy oudh, sweet oakmoss, violet leaf, and rose geranium.

Wet, gritty, deep lavender.

On skin, immediately the deep, husky oudh is apparent, over a very purple cloud of lavender.  With a bit of time, the dark oudh deepens, even, getting a touch of that feral quality.  Mostly getting a dark green, velvety leaf from the oakmoss/violet leaf combination that is not terribly overbearing.  Generally rose geranium shrieks on me, but I'm not getting much of that character at all.  The Snake Oil languishes in the background as a bit of exotic sweet, but it's primarily a rich lavender-oudh.  It's so... very potent, this is a scent that does not take prisoners.

Over even more time, it fuses into a very smooth, velvety blanket of deep oudh.

In the bottle, I get Snake Oil and lavender.

On me, I get the Snake Oil spices, followed by the lavender, oudh, and oakmoss, and then the violet leaf, with some herbal rose geranium trying to vie for the center stage. I get more Snake Oil from this than Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle, and I'm glad that the lavender is next in prominence, as that is what I am here for. But I am also getting a little funk from the oudh in the background. Fortunately, that goes away! The oudh has become stronger, but it is smoother now, and the rose geranium remains confined to a background role, making it a dusky, lavender and oudh Snake Oil. Then it morphs into a sweeter phase, as if the violet leaf actually contains a bit of violet (which I amp), making me think of the lavender and violet combo in Lavender Wig Spray, but not as sweet, intertwined with oudh, Snake Oil, and oakmoss. Oakmoss and rose geranium are usually pretty strong on me, but that is not the case here. I can only smell rose geranium's herbal twang in the background if I go looking for it and sniff up close.

This is a shadowy, purple Snake Oil. I wish the lavender had remained as strong as it was when I initially applied it, but I am glad the notes I was worried about (oudh and violet leaf) behaved (for the most part!). I am not sure how I feel about this one yet (aside from liking it more than Snakes Slithering Through Stinging Nettle), but I am someone that prefers Snake Oil aged, so I am going to set it aside and come back to it later, because I think it has potential. :)

OMG I'm so caught red handed here, didn't expect to love Snake Eyes Gleaming in Spring’s First Twilight that much! I do like snake oil and non herbal lavender, even oudh after aging, but this..... This is so amazing!!!

First there's the oudh and a note I understand as non herbal lavender. Definitely violet colored. Not the stinky oudh but the balsamic pretty dark oudh if that makes any sense.

I guess after half an hour I also get a whiff of snake oil vanilla. Dry it's a pretty shadow of oudh, soft lavender and SO.

It's a wonderful relaxing sleep scent for me! It has some similarities to Hidden Purpose Bath oil minus snake oil. But HP bath oil is much more smoky whereas Snake Eyes Gleaming in Spring’s First Twilight is more creamy and charming.

Had to get a backup of this!! 🥰

OMG, oude right off, and it's a poopy one!  The lavender is quite prominent at first as well.  Gradually, this fades into a lovely green snake, with vanilla and soft lavender.  I may need more of this (dram),  it is quite 'oudy' at first, but ends up being (maybe a bit too soft), lovely green blend.  I'm thinking that this will age quite nicely!

This is cuddly lavender snake on me. The oude gives it a dark, lush depth.  I get a bit of oakmoss slinking in, but not the geranium or violet leaf. As a big fan of SO, I have quite a few of its variations. This is one of my favorites.

Oudh, oakmoss, and a whiff of Snake Oil. Lavender is MIA. So mainly an oudh-heavy Snake Oil on me. Great throw, medium wear length.

Eventually, this dries down to a dark, soft scent that feels like the thickest purple velvet. Before that, though, it is the poopiest oud I have ever smelled in my life. 😭

It doesn’t hit me quite as strongly in the bottle...but when I put it on, it was bad enough that I had to keep my arm covered and out of range. Even then, I almost scrubbed several times. 

The drydown is so gorgeous, but I just don’t think I can push through the nausea. I hope this scent plays nicer with others!

My journey: 

Poop with a little herbal lavender 

Poop

Poop

Poop

Sweet resins close to the skin

Snake Eyes Gleaming in Spring's First Twilight

In the bottle: Mellow oudh, a little green from that oakmoss, and herby lavender. You can detect the SO base, which I always love.

Wet: Oudh. It hasn't gone poopy like MHG did, but still undeniably oudh. Lovely, sharp violet and lavender.

Dry down: Oakmoss is doing its lovely dusty business on dry down. Geranium is starting to perk up. Waiting on the oudh to morph or chill out. Seems to be happening. The sugared vanilla of the SO is asserting itself. I love the dark, sharpness balanced precariously with the sweet softness and the quietly unsettling oudh.

Dry: Aaaaaah, lovely. Oudh is so far in the background as to be almost silenced, but still gives the blend that piquancy we all love in BPAL's scents. Violets to the fore, SO close behind, lavender and geranium keeping it light and fresh, and oakmoss still sweet and dusty.

After testing Mother's Hot Ghosts, I discovered that my chemistry lends itself nicely to oudhs, and while I can still smell it in this, it is sweet, not sour. I love the way it smells in the air more than sniffing my wrist. I expect that, after an hour or two, the scent on my wrist will match the scent in the air. It's so much lighter than I was expecting. Sweet, and playful with a little mischief. I imagine this was the intent, considering the name.

I love it!

When I first opened the bottle of this, I instantly thought, "oh no!" While I love oud in general, the lab has one particular oud that I've since learned smells very strongly of this. When I first opened it, I got that familiar whiff of cat poop. On my skin at first it was mostly cat poop with Snake Oil. While I love Snake Oil and rarely find a snakey blend I dislike, I was really worried about this one. Thankfully, after the initial blast, the poop faded and it turned to a dark, broody, lavender oud version of Snake Oil. It's a bit close to my skin, surprisingly, because this one went on very strong and Snake Oil blends can be very heavy -- part of their charm, for me! I honestly wouldn't mind reapplying often because I do love what it becomes but don't want to sit through that poopy beginning multiple times in the same day.

I'm still keeping it for a bit to see if the fecal quality in the opening fades with age. Like others with this note, I absolutely love what it becomes and am willing to ride out a bit of the rather polarizing opening to get the end results. Just not multiple times in the same day to account for a shorter lifespan.

In the imp: Patchouli, the weird and horrible poop note that everyone has mentioned above me, oakmoss and lavender. 

Wet: Above all else, the dirty poop oudh - not unlike the note I get from Follow Me Boy, which I could never get past, though I suspect this one might be bearable with age. There's a hint of sweetness but it's all but drowned out by this nasty nonsense.

Dry: FINALLY. Patchouli, spiced earth, spongy moss and a wee bit of lavender - green, brown, and a dusky lilac grey. The first five minutes had me very worried, but the drydown gave me hope, and after it settled, it remained a delightful sweet-and-spicy blend.

Very long-lived on me, and surprisingly mild once the opening notes die away. That oudh is something else though 😕 I will have to ensure I don't put this on as I'm running out the door, I couldn't bear to inflict the early stages on anyone else.

Stars: ★★★★