Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Snakes Basking in the First Sunbeams of Spring

Snake Oil, orange blossom, wildflower honey, and cinnamon.

I don't know how Beth manages to take scents that have almost the same notes and makes them so distinct from each other.

This is Snake Oil + honey. But the honey is completely different from Snake's Kiss or Womb Furie. It's the most golden and straight up from-the-comb honey out of all three. The cinnamon is present, but not overwhelming. Same with the orange blossom. The overall impression is strongly of the scent's name-- basking in the sun. It's warm and sweet and bright. I love it.

In the bottle, I get sweet, almost foodie Snake Oil. Freshly applied, it is honey & cinnamon, on a backdrop of Snake Oil. As it dries down, I got straight up wildflower honey. It smelled exactly like the Wegman's brand wildflower honey that I used to buy. Dried down, I get mostly orange blossom, touched by honey and cinnamon, anchored by Snake Oil. Right now it is quite sweet and playful. I think that age will make it sexier. I agree that the scent is reminiscent of lying out in the sun.  Light throw, medium wear length.

I wanted to see if this would be a Snaky cousin to Vixen, of which I have only one precious bottle and imp. In some ways it is, but without that ginger bite, of course. The honey and orange blossom stand out the most. I'm still getting over a cold and my sense of smell is probably at about 75%, so I think the cinnamon will emerge in a few days. It's going to be a gorgeous spring and summer scent, and when the weather is cold again, I'm going to try layering it with some of my BPAL gingerbread scents.

In the bottle: Honey and orange blossom with a grounding note that I can't readily identify. I mean, I know it's Snake Oil because of the description, but it doesn't leap out of the bottle with that characteristic Snake Oil smell. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's a glorious mix of scents -- first honey, then orange blossom, then honey, then cinnamon, then the characteristic pungency I get from fresh Snake Oil. As it dries, the throw is predominantly honey and orange blossom with a touch of cinnamon. If I stick my nose closer to my skin, I do get the sharpness of fresh Snake Oil patchouli. Up close, that note is less than amazing, but I hope that as it mellows, it will provide a complex grounding scent for the fabulous throw. 

Throw on this is medium on me, but the wear length is just about forever. 

Yep, this is definitely foodie. I usually amp honey, but I'm not for this one. Marzipan is coming to mind, but it's not directly almond. It's most just sweet cookie.

I was expecting something robust, like Womb Furie with orange blossom & cinnamon. This is an unexpectedly delicate blend.  The vanilla of Snake Oil & wildflower honey are the most dominant notes on my skin. Cinnamon is barely detectable on me. I will definitely use up the decant. Possible bottle.

This Snek reminds of several other BPAL blends, almost like a Lab Rat mini-edition. Like a Lab Rat made from a small, sexy section of the shelves.

But mostly I do get something like a wildflower Womb Furie with orange blossom and cinnamon. Lighter and less deep. The orange blossom is potent on me; the cinnamon is lightest, but still quite present.

I like it. My immediate urge is to add dark vanilla and make a body gloss out of it, because that worked well with Saw-Scaled Viper, and this also reminds me somewhat of that.

Snake Oil and wildflower honey make this a more tone-downed Womb Furie with just a touch of cinnamon.  I love orange blossom, but I can barely smell it.  For those who found WF to be 'too much', they could give this a whirl.  It is just too similar to this and other spice blends that I have and enjoy.

Honeyed Snake oil with a whiff of cinnamon. If you're into SO or honey, this seems like a match made in heaven. Medium throw and wear length.

This is a beautiful, extra-vegetal, orange blossom cider snake oil. It’s the strongest snake oil note of the bends I’ve tried. 

WET: it leans *almost* dark-tobacco-funky (that effect was mitigated with a vigorous bottle shaking). I expect the honey note is a very dark, intense honey, and adds to the depth of this blend. Everything else is quiet. 

DRY: the orange blossoms find space to breathe once the vegetal funk subsides. Now this is deep orange blossom with a snake oil anchor. More of an orange blossom concentrate than fresh orange blossoms on the tree. Any cinnamon is a grounding background player- it’s not spicy or even identifiable, just a bare hint of… red? weighting the orange blossoms and contributing to the cider vibe I’m getting. 

The overall effect is gorgeous, and I can’t wait to age with this baby. 

Edited by Estamets

In the beginning the honey note is a bit funky but that subsides quickly. It still smells like sniffing a jar of dark honey while wearing snake oil but in a good way. The orange blossom makes it brighter and sunnier but it's never in the forefront. I don't get any grass or cinnamon from this.

It is just light enough to be warm weather appropriate but still stays on for a long time (a few tiny dabs lasted ca. 8 hours for me). 

I think this is beautiful and I'll get a lot of wear out of it in the next months. 

I missed the Serpent Spring scents when they were first released, and have since fallen head over heels for Snake Eyes Gleaming, so when I got a chance to try this one I went for it. Wow! Snakes Basking is an exquisite orange blossom honey scent with the lightest touch of cinnamon ...over a Snake Oil backdrop. A rich, sweet, dark golden scent.