Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hammy

Vernal Equinox Full Moon

A glowing gold lantern hanging low and large in the sky heralding the first breath of spring. Fossilized amber resin releasing a cascade of crocus and daffodil petals, glory-of-the-snow, graceful iris, radiant life everlasting, and a rainbow burst of tulip.

In the bottle - Cold grass with some blossoms.

Wet - Still grassy, but it's a beautiful and slightly magical meadow now -- kind of like a slightly frosty Fairy Market.

Drydown - An hour in, this has almost faded completely, but it's doing that celestial blend thing where it gets a little perfumey. The amber shows up to the party around hour two and really starts to put the whole blend in focus, grounding it slightly. It adds a tiny bit of powder, but I actually like it.

Verdict - I tried slathering, but unfortunately my skin just eats this right up. Maybe I'll put it in a diffuser or an oil burner or something so I can have more of the enchanted spring goodness. I am definitely going to try layering this with other scents, partially to see if I can get it to last longer but mainly because I'm already making mental combinations. Besides Fairy Market, I'm thinking I'll try Smug Yale, Pa-Pow, Catch Me, The Hare, A Moment in Time, Canis Major, Round Dance ... so many possibilities.

In the bottle, like a florist's cooler. (That's a good smell!)

Wet: Cold white blossoms that are like sticking my nose in a bouquet, without being overpowering.

Dry:  Daffodils! There are other flowers underneath the daffodils, but they're minor notes in a field of buttercups. I LOVE this fragrance.

I don't get any amber notes, but every once in a while I get a bit of the tulips. Just gorgeous!

Dry, an hour later: NOW I get the amber. At this stage, I can't pick out any single floral notes - it's just a harmonious whole with a soft amber base note. I love every stage of this scent.

Edited by harmonyfb

This is like Litha's demure, sweet little sister.  Where Litha is all heady, boozy, honeyed florals - definite party girl - Vernal Equinox is light, sweet, green, spring florals.    

Quick disclaimer that I am unsure what the distinction is for glory-of-the-snow or life everlasting flowers, but I should be able to identify the rest.

In the bottle: Cold florals and grasses. None of the florals are standing out in particular; everything seems well blended.

Wet/top notes: This starts off with white florals as soon as I apply it, but not powdery, which is nice for me because I tend to amp iris. The coldness has warmed to something just cool, like dew on flower petals. About ten minutes in, I get tulips and daffodils more distinctly.

Dry down/middle notes: This is mostly tulips, crocus, and daffodils on me, but the sillage is iris. The cool note (glory-of-the-snow perhaps?) is keeping the iris from going powdery, but the coolness faded in strength by about half within 20 minutes. The crocus is coming out more and I like it. The tulips and daffodils are making a nice blend, though, and they remind me of spring when I was in undergrad and lived in Washington, DC. Around 30 minutes, the cool note is extremely faint, almost gone completely by this point.

Dry/base notes: Mostly crocus and iris with a hint of dew and something like grass (life everlasting maybe?). I'm almost certain the crocus is responsible for the dewiness; it's a gentle aquatic touch that's keeping the other florals from going too powdery. Around forty minutes in, the tulips and daffodils come back, but over all, these flowers are nicely blended and playing well together--like I walked past a bouquet sitting out on a table and the windows are open and there's a cross-breeze. I'm getting a very, very faint hint of amber, more powder than resin, and I'm wondering if that's what grounded these florals and kept them from getting headache-inducing. It's also starting to replace the space left by the cool notes. That amber is super faint though; I cannot stress that enough. The sillage is medium to low and it fades considerably by the hour mark.

Verdict: Gotta say, I think it's pretty cool how this slowly went from cool to warm--like watching the sunrise and smelling flowers at dawn in spring. I'm not normally drawn to florals/floral focused fragrances, but I had to have this because the Full Moon from this year's Vernal Equinox made some major aspects in my astrological natal chart (I'm a 0 degree Libra sun), so I took a chance on it. I'm really glad I did because it's unique in my collection (which is pretty bare on floral focused scents) and it's a very inoffensive/office safe scent (not that this is relevant to me because I am in the arts and everyone I know thinks I always smell like incense). If you like fresh florals or cool notes, I'd say this is for you. If you're worried about iris or amber going powdery, I'd say give this a sniff and a test because it never went into insane powdery territory on me. It doesn't last very long at all (around 2 hours), but I prefer that because it's so floral. Any longer might be too much for me.

I got this in the same order as Overlooking the Garden and I was a little concerned they would turn out to be the same scent.  They're close, but not the same.

Iris tends to amp on me but not as badly as other powdery florals (violet, namely; orris, which is iris root but smells like violet to me), therefore this scent has a reasonably well-behaved iris, but though the other florals give this a springy vibe, I can't pick them out individually.  So iris, a misty springtime floral impression, and golden amber predominate.  Eventually, after hours of weartime, the iris softens enough that I think I get a bit of a tulip/daffodil impression same as I get out of Overlooking the Garden, over a veil of golden amber.  But the whole scent is softer overall.

This is very nice, though I do think I prefer Overlooking the Garden.  I'd like this more if there was a white floral note alongside the iris to make it a little filmier. But it's not this perfume's fault iris amps on me.

Vernal Equinox Full Moon is a floral and amber scent that is stronger on the floral component at first (lots of white and yellow flowers), but the amber note ends up coming out more with wear. It's a lightly spiced amber that reminded me of the amber in The Lion. It has some longevity, too: I applied it around 7 PM last night, and I can still smell it strongly at 10 AM the next morning. It has more amber in it than The Queen of Earthly Paradise, another recent floral amber blend (that shares some of the same floral notes). I actually like this one more, but it's still not something I could see myself reaching for -- there would have to be some sort of sweet aspect present to lure me in, I think.

But if you're looking for a floral amber scent for sunny spring days, this one is for you.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Cool florals. I get a whiff of tulip, and something that smells like crocus and phlox. This is cool, light, and very green florals. It smells like spring, on a lake that has just defrosted. Medium throw, good wear length.

This is very pretty - I actually was expecting to be greener than this, but it's not quite as green as I like, but then I really like my spring florals green. 

This is one of my favorite BPALs and was the first scent I ordered a BU bottle of. To me, this is a nostalgic scent, reminding me of when I used to keep tulip petals in an old velvet heart valentines box so I could enjoy the spicy-sweet scent they have once dried.

This scent is soft, sweet and spiced but not cinnamon or clove, just a floral spice. The amber isn't powdery in the slightest and gives a warmth to the blend. It's beautiful and calming. Serene.

Vernal Equinox Full Moon is soft, cool spring florals backed by a pale amber note that emerges gradually.  It's pretty, very feminine and light, and my skin eats it up in about two hours.  This was gifted to me by a generous forumite and I'm glad I got to try it because the idea of the bulb flowers backed with amber was intriguing, but it's much too floral to get much wear from me.  

In the bottle, this is so very floral, but when I put it on whoa here comes the amber! I like amber, so this is a good thing - it's the same amber as in Falling Leaves Moon. It's interesting to have it in scents attached to opposite liminal seasons. Anyway, after a while some nice fresh florals come out. I love bulbs and greeny green florals. I really like this, and I'm sure it's benefitted from aging a year.