Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Excellent Pancakes

Take a quart of fine flower, a pint of sacke, halfe a pint of ale, six or eight spoonfulls of faire water, eight yolkes of eggs and three whites, a little nutmegg, ginger, cinnamon and salt, blend all these together and straine them, they will make excellent pancakes.

Not only does that 18th century recipe make excellent pancakes, but those pancakes were also believed to cure malaria and most horse-related diseases. Bonus!

Shrove Tuesday is the last day of Shrovetide – or Carnival – and the final day before Ash Wednesday, when the season of fasting that marks Lent commences. Before you try to absolve your sins through deprivation, confession, and repentance, have one last carb-filled, sugary, gluttonous hurrah: pancakes cooked with ale, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon, topped with fried apples, almonds, mascarpone, and jam.

Pancakes, nutmeg, ginger, fried apples, and a whiff of jam. This one smells foodie, pancakey- and appley. If you wanted pancakes and apple sauce, here you go. Medium throw, average wear length.

Very sweet and eggy. On me, the apple is strong on application but quickly calms down and takes a back seat to sugary dough with just a hint of spice, I get more nutmeg and cinnamon than ginger. 

Before my decant arrived, I had a dream that Excellent Pancakes was a big win for me. But I actually prefer The Pancake Bell.

Excellent Pancakes is super strong on the apple note on me for the first few hours of wear. The spices are behind it, but I'd say this is a lightly spiced apple scent. Then some of the actual pancake starts to come through. I applied it at 9 PM last night, and like The Pancake Bell, I can still smell this at 12 PM the next day. This one is an apple and buttery pancake scent, though. It also smells like some syrup has been drizzled onto it even though no maple syrup note is listed.

I have a lot of apple scents, and I can't see myself reaching for this over them, so I won't be hanging on to my decant. If you want an apple and pancake scent, though, this one is for you!

Spicy, appley, and buttery. Like a really happy apple candle. I feel horrible categorizing it that simply, but being the apple lover I am, I feel like I have something similar in my collection. I don't think I would expect pancakes out of this, but if you think about it hard enough, you could imagine them.

Excellent Pancakes reminds me of the phrase "comfort me with apples."  BPAL's cooked apple note works better on me than fresh apple, and this is warm comfort food of a scent, caramelized apples and baked goods (a note which is never great on me, but fine here) and maybe berry jam -- when I applied there was a hint of red fruit I wasn't expecting, and I checked the notes and that's my best guess.  The spices are really mellow, and I'm not getting a cream note from the mascarpone.  Medium wear length on me -- I wish I got doomsday_disco's longevity!  Very foodie, very warm and comforting. 

I don't really get pancakes, mascarpone, or a fried or jam type scent.  This is all sharp, spiced apple on me, and unfortunately reminds me of a waxy holiday candle.  Sharp cinnamon potpourri and air freshener apple to my nose.

For the first few months I had this, it was all "apple potpourri in a craft store" on me. But over time, this has settled into a true pancake scent with gently spiced fried apples and all the fixings. 

Jam and cream topped pancakes without the maple syrup. Very bready and weirdly not super sweet even with all these sugary notes. I don't get any ginger, but I can pick up the cinnamon and fried apples. I enjoy it, but it definitely resembles fried apples near the end than pancakes. I also couldn't detect any ale notes, but honestly I think this is good just the way it is and I'm not sure if I'd have liked that note.