Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

The Pancake Bell

On the morning of Shrove Tuesday the whole kingdom is quiet, but by the time the clock strikes eleven, there is a Bell rung, call’d the Pancake Bell, the sound whereof makes thousands of people distracted, and forgetful either of manners or humanities. Then there is a thing cal’d wheaten flower, which the Cookes doe mingle with water, Egges, Spice and other tragical magical enchantments, and then they put it by little and little into a Frying pan of boiling Suet, where it make a dismal hissing, until at the last by the skill of the Cookes, it is transformed into the forme of a flap-jack, which in our translation is call’d a Pancake which the ignorant people doe devour very greedily.

– John Taylor’s Jack a Lent (1620)

Honey ale, roasted nuts, gingerbread, daryole, and sweet cakes.

Honey, gingerbread, cakes, and nuts. This one is a very honeyed cake with nuts and spicy gingerbread. Foodie. Toothsome. Medium throw, medium wear length.

Well THIS is just pure deliciousness, and exactly what I was hoping for. Directly applied wet, it's all warm roasted nuts, dripping with dark honey and a slight booziness. When this dries down, it is soft pancake-y fluffiness and lightly spiced custard pie. You'll wanna eat yourself, but don't.

The Pancake Bell is a honey-covered (almost maple-like?), gingerbread-y, custard-y pancake scent. And it has some longevity. I applied it to the back of my hand at 9 PM last night and I can still smell it at 12 PM today (by which point it mostly smells like maple and honey-drizzled pancakes). Smelling it makes me hungry. It's a realistic pancake scent.

I like this a lot more than Excellent Pancakes. It's not something I need more of, because I don't think I'd reach for it often enough to warrant a bottle, and King Cake pretty much ends up being like waffles on me, but I think I'll keep my decant. :)

It's fun, but I really just smell generic maple syrup. I'm not getting anything as nuanced as previous posters. I'll try again later.

So I get gingerbread -- not the heavy, blackstrap molasses kind but a light honey spice cake -- and mead.  Cakes and ale.  Curiously, it takes about an hour for the roasted nuts note to emerge on me, so it's not almond, which always shows up at the beginning and burns off quickly.  Maybe roasted walnuts.  Super nice, rich foodie and quite long lasting, too. 

First on, I'm getting mostly a warm, cozy, honeyed, roasted chestnut type of scent from this, which I really like.  Almost smells of gourmand woods.  As it dries down, I'm getting a lot of the gingerbread cookies, and it turns very spicy on my skin, but still pleasantly sweet and honeyed.

In the decant: Very honeyed ale and sweet cake. Or honeyed cake and sweet ale. YMMV.

On my skin:

Right away, it's honey, cake, and soft, sweet baking spices. As it dries, the roasted nuts emerge, a dry, toasty scent that provides a level of complexity and contrast to the sweet notes. 

Once it has time to develop, I notice mostly that this scent is very strong. It's the sweetness of Kill-Devil and the nuts of Horse Chestnut Honey -- so at least it's balanced on me, but it's very, very strong right now. 

Ultimately, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one, just for the sake of its strength. Even a little bit is overwhelming. I'd have to dilute the decant in a carrier oil just to make it wearable. This might be better off seeking a different home. 

It's a nice balance of sweet and savory, though. 

Without looking at the notes, I got maple syrup and pancakes with some honey. It's really nice, but I am not getting any of the gingerbread. It's very sugary sweet and foodie, lots of honey but I don't really get the ale note. I'm also not getting much of the nuts either.

Really enjoying this, I love breakfast themed blends! It's almost a maple syrup single note on my skin, so I think I'll be using these for layering.

A frimp from a decant circle with just enough for 1 test. I expected this to be a lot more cloying, and when wet, upon first sniff it is - all pancakes and syrup, but as it dried, I quickly noticed something behind it that gave it more depth and interest - definitely nutty. Not really my kinda perfume oil, but a pleasant surprise.

It's exactly what was promised: Nutty warm cake with notes of boozy honey, spicy gingerbread and daryole - which I had to google.

It's eggy, rich, and featuring a darker honey note that warms up the scents and connects the other notes. Could also be a malty maple syrup.

It goes a bit off on me, as baked goods normally do, so it's grittier and more cloying than usually works for me.

No weird notes of fennel or celery, but also not enough honey or roasted notes to make this pleasant on or for me.

Delicious maple syrup with a glob of honey. Little nutty on the dry down. I don’t get gingerbread really. But it’s yummy! Smells like breakfast morning. Cool label too because PANCAKES! 😋