Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Nefertiti

“The Beautiful One Is Come”. Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, soft myrrh and a breath of North African herbs.

Ohhh iris!

This is such a beautiful, soft scent - predominantly floral, with a gilt edge to it. It's regal almost - though I'm afraid for the most part this scent on me is pure iris with the barest hint of sandalwood.

Here I was expecting kyphi.

Beautiful, but not me.

Edited: Added lab description.

Edited by Medici

Frimp!

In the bottle, I thought I had a big winner. It was nutty and a little spicy, and a little creamy. Warm.

On, it very quickly morphed into a wild, wet floral. Too overwhelming. It went so cloyingly sweet that after a while I had to wash it off. Tons of throw and endurance.

It's lovely, but a bit too juicy for me.

Strong, sharp, and cloying. I want to figure out which notes ends up smelling like department store perfume on me. Is it the iris?

Nefertiti is strong and feminine and far too perfumey for me.

Wet this is spicy, mossy and green. When first applied it's not much different but there is a "wet" floral note to it and it's slightly woody. After a couple of minutes this develops into a full bodied floral. This is a very regal and sophisticated blend. After about 30 minutes a jasmine note develops. This is sparkling gold and white. Very lovely but I think it's a little too upscale in feeling for me.

intensly sweet in the bottle, it smells like jasmine to me! On me, wet, it's still that intense jasmine, but slowly that calms down and it becomse spicy and deeper. I wore it last night, but will try it again during the day to see how long she lasts. lovely!

my only concern is that it seemed to fade quickly, but that may be just that i couldn't tell. i'm defintiely going to give this another run, and if she lasts more than an hour, i'm getting a bottle.

an african queen! oh, so happy!

n.

This is a very unusual floral scent....and strangly, I think I may like this.

Out of the bottle it's a very refreshing scent. This is reminescent of springtime.

On my skin the flowers perk up even more. The sandalwood balances everything out really well and gives it a sort of resiny, woodsy scent.

This is a gorgeous blend, I'm not sure it's something I'd wear, but nevertheless....gorgeous :P

Oh so lush! The iris does dominate for me, though there's plenty in there to keep it complex. It actually smells quite juicy and fruity, like black currant. A bit like I expected Masabakes to smell. It also reminds me of Aeval. Very luxuriant and saucy. I think I have it over the same spot that Hellfire was on last night and didn't come completely off, so there's a sweet, slightly smokey quality to it, too. Mmm!

I'll have to contemplate whether or not to get a bottle of this. But I'll say sweet floral / fruity lovers take note!

In bottle: very woodsy, but not in a masculine way with light florals underneath. There's a green element to it, which I assume to be the herbs.

Wet: a nice light herbal scent, sweetly floral, but very light. There's a warm spicy feel to it. I really like it so far.

Dry: the sandalwood is very light and the florals fade to almost nothing. It's still a lovely blend. I'm going to have to slather some more on and see how it goes.

The Iris in this is just beautiful. The sandalwood is not very strong in this, just enough to keep this from being overly floral. I absolutely love this as a light summer scent or when I'm wearing something really flowy. It just sort of wafts beautifully.

I so wanted to love this scent.

In the vial: Wow! This is the first BPAL oil that ever knocked me out just from the vial. Lush, wet, oriental florals.

On the wrist: Oh, so lovely. Delicate yet tangy floral, with almost a hint of orange to it, and as it dries, the sandalwood rises to warm it up.

Later: Fades to a powdery softness after an hour. Three hours and it's gone. Sadly, this goes in the trade bin.

Oh my. This is mainly iris on me, with the sandlewood providing a bit of substance. The herbs are very soft and almost dusty. This is fairly light and doesn't last terribly long, but I'd be happy to reapply. This is a perfect summer fragrance for me, and I want to be sure I've got a bottle of it by then.

:P

The iris is my favorite flower, and I've grown to like sandalwood, so I was very interested in trying this one. I cannot pick out any floral notes at all, however; all I can smell is a slightly herby sandalwood. My co-worker said it smells like incense and made her think of Egypt, and that was before I told her the name. I didn't dislike Nefertiti, but I wish I could smell the iris in it.

Nefertiti is a wonderful oil! The sandalwood is very light, just enough to deepen the flowers and herbs. Very unique and regal. This would be good for someone who wanted a light scent that isn't a traditional floral.

in the bottle: spicy sandalwood.

wet on skin: 'The Beautiful One Has Come', indeed! This is a lush scent, with the different sandalwoods mixing beautifully with the myrrh. Right before I wrote this review, I reviewed Lear, which is an incredibly masculine scent. This is its antithesis: utterly feminine.

dry: very soft, very light. This would be a good scent to wear all year. During the summer, its softness wouldn't be too heavy for the hot weather and during winter, it would warm you right up.

On first application, this is very "perfumey" to my nose, all sweetness and sandalwood. As it dries, however, the scent becomes fresher, and a light floral note brightens it overall. This is a lush and almost aquatic scent to my nose.

After a while, this fades quite a bit, and I'm left with a sweet herbal scent on my wrist. This is a lovely blend, but not quite for me.

Imp: Slightly sweet perfumey floral. It’s a tad gingery/herbal, and a hint of… banana? Maybe my nose is misinterpreting the myrrh (often times, myrrh smells of pancake syrup to me)?

Wet: Gingery, slightly fruity (I'm still thinking banana) perfumey smell. Hint of light woodsiness. This is totally not what I expected.

Drying: This strikes me a lush damp tropical bloom. This sweetens up on me considerably in the dry phase, and loses the fumy-ness. I can't get over how tropical this smells. I was expecting african spice, though I know the description totally doesn't say that. This is green and lush and sweet, and ever so slightly fruity. The floral is deep and sweet. A lovely floral, but I'm not a floral girl.

Overall: This scent screams lush sophistication to me. It’s a beautiful sweet, just-heady-enough floral blend. That's saying a lot, as I don't generally like florals. I don't really get the sandalwoods out of this, and its not at all what I was expecting, but was a lovely surprise. I am glad I tried this, but I know its not something I'd wear.

This is mostly iris, which is somewhat disappointing. It's not a BAD iris, not overpoweringly so. It's softened by the other notes, but it's still so dominant as to not be able to detect what those other notes are without reading the lab description. Phooey.

{into the swaps}

in the bottle the white sandalwood is giving me me a headache and on the skin the iris is amping it up, yicks! :P i can't even smell any thing else.....

On me this one is a very light, feminine floral. The other notes don't really stand out. I think they just keep the floral notes from floating away. It is very soft and pretty. I keep getting some kind of lilly sweet note in with the iris.

Oooh, this is so pretty! There is a lovely scent of greenery when I first apply this-- greenery and fresh white florals. The flowers do not smell overly-perfumy, as is the norm for me. I wonder if this is the Egyptian iris note?

This starts to go soapy after a minute, and other notes emerge which I can't identify, but are not pleasant on me.

I'll have to swap this away, but I sure do love the first few minutes of this blend...

Nefertiti starts out as a light floral. As it dries, I can smell the herbs! Sweet herbs that remind me of a scent that had some relation to Ireland (Irish name?). After a two hours, there's something balmy to it, and after four, there's something in it that makes me think of amber. After a lot more hours, it smells like dry herbs with a sandalwood backing.

This one, like a lot of others, falls prey to my skin's tendency to amp most floral notes to crazy proportions. I get almost entirely iris, with just the barest hint of the other notes... just enough to know that it would probably be on great on someone whose skin didn't amp florals!

Oh well...

Grade: C

:P maybe I was made for scents like sandalwood and myrrh? I loved the smell of this in the imp and love it even more on the skin.

I guess it must be the iris that lifts the oil from being too heavy. It does smell perfumey and big definately not light and girlie. I'd definately adopt this as a signature scent.

In the imp - Lots of iris and sandalwood. I can pick out the myrrh, too, and some other floral note.

Wet - Mostly iris. Which isn't bad. but I miss the sandalwood.

Dry - The iris fades a bit, and it's back to an iris/sandalwood mix. The other scents come out a bit in the background, but the iris and sandalwood dominate it.

A bit later - The iris has faded, and now it's mostly sandalwood. I like it at this stage, but not as much as other sandalwood scents.

Ohh, this is already pretty in the imp! I hope it won't do the same thing to me "Fallen" did...

No, it doesn't! Nefertiti sticks around on my skin, and while the floral notes are on the sweet side, they are not overbearing my nose. I feel very feminine (and dare I say beautiful?) wearing this.

Usually, I'd say I'm not the type for wearing this, but this is so stunning, I'll make an exception :P

Off to bigger bottle list!