Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Nefertiti

“The Beautiful One Is Come”. Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, soft myrrh and a breath of North African herbs.

This is nice in the imp. Lightly incense and more floral. But when I put it on, it went a to powder. I can still smell the iris, only barely. It disappeared very quickly, so my skin must love to eat this up. I think it will make a very soft and lovely room frangrance though. It's very exotic to my nose, perhaps something a woman in ancient times would use to scent her clothing. Soft and pretty, but not very long lasting on me.

First sniff: Sweet floral with a hint of green wood.

Wearing: IRIS! Irises growing wild in faerie circles in the sun at the edge of the forest. They’re probably my favourite flower to look at, but on my skin they go all powdery.

For the first hour that Nefertiti was on my skin, it surprised me by smelling very wet and aquatic. It was also very masculine, I felt like I was wearing one of my boyfriend's colognes. In the drydown it is more of a powdery floral and I can see it being a feminine scent... which I find rather boring (florals have a hard time impressing me). I'm going to use up the rest of my imp on the boy, since it works better on him - I just won't tell him that I think this is a powdery floral, lol.

cool and peaceful :P

This one makes an amazing shift from wet ( NOT white)floral to herbal to dry woods over a two hour period and each stage is more soothing and alive than the last. I am awed by the skill of this one. WELL DONE!

In Bottle: Floral woody elegance.

On Skin: Nefertiti is one of my goddesses so I have high hopes with this scent. This is so elegant… the iris is top note. The sandalwood and nyrrh give a husky, confident note. Feminine yet strong. I love this! I could picture Nefertiti wearing this… I just expected it to be a bit more spicy. This is a scent a queen would wear and people would love bowing to her.

I usually don't like florals because they tend to feel wimpy or sting my nose, so I didn't have much hope for Nefertiti. When I put it on, it was definitely floral, but so cool and smooth. This is a very regal blend, dark and serene. I can get a hint of the woods underneath.

If this one has good lasting power, I will probably cave and buy a big bottle.

Nefertiti starts out as a dry, herbal scent with a hint of sweetness in the background, and feels very regal and elegant. She then evolves into an herbal floral (must be the iris), which turns green-ish. Hours later, the resin notes have emerged full force with an herbal undertone. What can I say, the herbal notes really tie all the stages together :P .

My favourite stage is the final drydown, but it does take a while to get there. So while I like Nefertiti, I don't love her, which means that I'll probably hold onto my imp but not get a bottle.

Wet some herbs and iris come out; the iris gives this blend a dry and powdery touch, but very subtle.

Drying the sandalwood and the myrrh come out.

This one is very, very soft on my skin. Maybe I'll give it a second try.

I was quite surprised by Nefertiti. For some reason, I expected it to be mostly sandalwood, with a hint of floral. It turned out to be quite the opposite.

I don't know why, because they have no notes in common as near as I can tell, but Nefertiti reminded me of Mata Hari--something about the quality of the floral. The iris in this smelled a lot like jasmine to me and it overwhelmed all the other notes. I barely got any sandalwood or resin except for a brief whiff in the final drydown.

I'm fairly certain that what this did on my skin is not the preferred reaction from this blend because it didn't seem evocative of an Egyptian queen at all, so it'll be heading off to swap for someone whose chemistry is more cooperative.

nefertiti.jpg

This is a beautiful floral and incense blend and it does make me think of Nefertiti the gorgeous Egyptian queen. It is a sort of scent which I have found a great many times in the BPAL blends, and I have to say that I can't find a distinction here with Nefertiti. Perhaps the slight edge of herbs playing in the background, but I am not sure that is enough to save this one from being merely "nice". It is a "pure" smelling blend and would do well with people who are not too adventuresome in their perfume tastes.

I guess my expectations were low from this because I left it to the very last to try of all my imps from sales, swaps, etc. I wish I hadn't waited so long! It is just gorgeous.

:P

It is a beautifully balanced mix of resins, woods, and flowers that goes on and stays true, not too dry and not too sweet. This balance really does evoke my idea of Nefertiti --- beauty and dust, fertility on the border of the desert. The floral has me really interested. Egyptian lily? What's that --- papyrus? Could this be the calamus that is in Penthus.? If so that explains why I like it so much. It is warm and full smelling. The only problem with this is that it only lasts a few hours on me.

In the Bottle: Floral with a smidge of spice probably from the sandalwoods

On wet: Floral the unsual smell of the egyptian iris and again that touch of spice.

Drying Down: Wow the depth of the sandalwoods and myrrh is completely deeping this scent. The Iris is retreating to the back.

Overall: This scent is so clean I almost think of fresh linens. Nefertiti is dressed fresh and clean from water from the Nile pappered in the fresh scents of the desert oasis with Kohl eyes and a faint incense burning far away for the Isis is wafting into her dressing room.

I have to say this scent was a major surprise I really had no expectations for it but find it very nice and I think perfect for summer.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Lemony florals, mostly lily and lotus for me. Somewhat sharp, but mostly sweet.

Wet, on Skin:

Definitely sweet florals. Gardenia and lily, with a distinct lemon or citrus kiss.

Drying Down:

A little bit of myrrh or other resin rises in the background, but it's still a very watery, aquatic floral blend, soft and feminine.

Over Time/Longterm:

The myrrh is gone now, but there's some dry sandalwood essence lightly brushed onto the same lily and gardenia that was present when the oil first touched my skin.

Final Verdict?

Evocative, aquatic floral, relaxing. But not my thing... Lilies and gardenias, mostly, with maybe a tiny hint of dry Egyptian resins and herbs.

In the imp, this smells very green and herbally, but wet the iris takes centre stage. As this dries, the sandalwood and myrrh balance this out so that it's not really a floral scent, but the iris still keeps this from becoming too dry or incensy. Very beautiful blend.

In the imp and on me Nefertiti smells like incense. I don't pick out anything else (well, maybe a little tiny peek of sandalwood) so it's a little generic for my tastes. It's nice, soft, and clean, but I'll probably swap her away.

In the imp: I had it ranked as my 8th-favorite of the group of nine scents I smelled. What I am guessing were the herbs were sharp and medicinal, and they seemed to almost clash with the iris and myrrh.

Wet: Hmmm--the herbs seem to be working well with my skin. I like this now; instead of fighting the other notes, the herbs are now in harmony. Ah, there's the myrrh, working well with me, as it almost always does.

Dry-down and Wear: Ah, I love it! The iris has now shown up, and stands strong with the myrrh. The herbs are becoming less prominent as the scent wears, but it remains beautiful. This is the type of perfume I would wear at work. It "feels" warm and competent, which is the image I like to project while I'm teaching. I'll probably get a bottle of this.

at first: this was a freebie from the lab. sweet flowers and sharp flowers.

on: this has gone immediately to being disturbingly sharp and soapy on me.

1 hour later: just awful. so sharp.

overall: i just washed this off because i couldn't deal with the sharpness.

Bottle: Iris and myrrh. Two big scents that were co-mingling. V. pretty.

Wet - Iris and sandalwood. My body chemistry really makes sandalwood stand out. I'm not a huge fan of sandalwood, but the iris cuts through it nicely.

4 hours later - Have tried down to what I thought was a baby powder smell. However, two gentlemen sitting next to me at work have said that it smells like brown sugar, and another woman agrees. Either way, the long term does not agree with me.

Swap pile!

On me Nefertiti is a cool floral scent, like walking through a marble temple at night, while it's tipping it down with rain outside. It does remind me a bit of Cairo, but without the cloying sweetness - this is far more airy.

Very hard to pin down! In the bottle and on me wet, it is incense-y and mysterious and lovely... then it dries right down to powder and tickles my nose in the not-good way :P

I'm not honestly sure why this was fruity on me, maybe the iris interacting with my chemistry? It's one of the few scents where sandalwood behaves itself and is a nice soft undertone to the florals. Sweet, refreshing and lovely, very feminine without being wishy washy or soft, it's an unusual mix of scents and makes no apology for it.

Being strongly attracted to all things Kemetic, I have been collecting dutifully the Egyptian-themed blends and I was very much looking forward to trying Nefertiti.

I must admit that I did not know what to think at first. What I smelled was a nice mix of florals and herbs, maybe a touch too aquatic for my taste but not unpleasantly so. It was light, slightly green and, to be honest, I did not find that it had a lot of personality. A little underwhelming for such a prestigious Queen.

No sooner had I come to such a heretical conclusion than the great Queen decided to prove me wrong and I am happy she did!

Twenty minutes or so into drydown, Nefertiti started morphing into a much more interesting scent, rounder and creamier, a smooth blend of greenness, herbs and florals. Once it settled down, it reminded me of a softer Hamadryad without the cinnamon.

Truly seductive and worth reapplying often, as it is unfortunately quite light and fades quickly.

My impression:

This is quite lovely and unique. In the vial and in the wet stage it is totally different than the drydown. I can detect only a small amount of sandalwood and the rest is floral bliss. Fit for a queen :P

To me, Nefertiti is overwhelmingly floral (I assume iris), with that "breath of herbs" overlaying it and cooling it. I get a bit of sandalwood incensing it up in the background, but mostly it's that cool floral. It's very lovely and refined, but I like a bit more sweet resin on me. My floral-loving friend picked Nefertiti out of a huge pile of imps I had for her to sniff and declared herself in love. She didn't even like most of the imps-- Psyche was the only other one she said she really liked-- so I would say if you like pretty, cool, dignified, grounded floral blends, you will LOVE Nefertiti.

This was a frimp from the lab. :D

In the imp and wet this is a sweet, somewhat unusual (to me, anyway :D ) floral. As it dries, the sandalwood comes out and the flowers recede. I smell the slightest spiciness during this stage. On the drydown my good friend myrrh takes over with its translucent green slightly bitter fragrance.

It went through all of these stages in a couple of hours, so I re-applied so I could enjoy them again.

I really like this and I think it would be good to wear on my skin and in a locket so I could go through all of the stages and keep some of the lovely floral notes in the foreground as well. Definite possibility for the big bottle list. :P